Do Beats by Dr. Dre Really Suck?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
OT, but Apple's greatest feat has not been any of its products, but its ability to create a feeling of exclusivity in owning its product. Owning an apple product has somehow become folded into the notion of success, achievement, or arrival. Truly amazing. I fear that it is coming to an end. There was a time when yo did not question, much less mock an Apple product, but that has begun and i fear is a sign of the end......assuming it doesn't come up with something new. I just hope its next product is a dividend;)

All this did for me was to provide one more sociocultural indicator.

Like Starbucks and Lululemon.

The T-shirts might just as well say "I am a douchebag".

Lol, true.

Isn't that partially true as well of people buying $500 Beats simply due to status, advertising or peer pressure?

It's horrible that "audio is personal-subjective" is the common parlance, since it gives people the right to say any x product sounds the best, to them.

I think the pure data analysis of headphones and IEM's is quite weak though, unfortunately.

Yes, the Beats headphones really do suck. I haven't tried a single pair of Beats headphones that sound better than my Koss Porta Pro which I bought for like $35.

For home use I prefer my Denon AH-D2000. Absolutely wonderful headphones I think.

Try KSC75 if you like the Porta Pro, it's very cheap and uses a Titanium membrane.

Try Fostex TH600 or TH900 if you get the chance, they are successors of sorts to the D2000 / 5000 / 7000 series. :)

A lot of men and women want $50-$250 pure cotton T-shirts, even if they know more advanced fabrics and designs exist!

I reckon you've yet to wear Egyptian cotton.

Thanks for the tip.

I think I might try that in my next clothing purchase, but I'll be paying for the Egyptian cotton itself :), not paying for the fancy brand.

I have a few silk shirts and had them made in Thailand (by Thais) for a fifth or tenth of the price they would cost in a mall.

Must... Resist... Hating... On Macbooks.
.. Can't.
Okay, briefly: a £2200 Macbook Pro has very similar specs to this £700 laptop. Both are made of brushed aluminium, and this has a DVD drive. I don't see how the Apple badge is worth £1500.

Finally got around to replacing my old Sony headphones with some newer ones by Sony: MDR-V55, less than £40 delivered. I'll take them to a local music shop and do a quick write-up of how they compare with Beats.

Chris

.. Can't.
Okay, briefly: a £2200 Macbook Pro has very similar specs to this £700 laptop. Both are made of brushed aluminium, and this has a DVD drive. I don't see how the Apple badge is worth £1500.

Finally got around to replacing my old Sony headphones with some newer ones by Sony: MDR-V55, less than £40 delivered. I'll take them to a local music shop and do a quick write-up of how they compare with Beats.

Chris
You might have a hard time trying to compare the Beats.. It's a closed demo-set, making it impossible to hook-up a different music-source or different headphones.

I am however interested in your findings.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
.. Can't.

Chris

Battery life and battery longevity, longevity of the Macbook itself, new OS versions install without slowing the thing down....

My 2008 Macbook is still on its original battery and it runs 10.9 Mavericks without problems. Just have a look at a 2008 Windows laptop with eh... Vista....

.. Can't.

Chris

Incredibly fast harddrive on the Macbook Air. Superior sound quality in the speakers. The touch pad is a billion times better than the ones in Windows computers. The battery lasts for about 9 hours when watching movies or about 6-7 hours of surfing on the internet. Also it doesn't feel slow at all even though I've been using it daily for almost a year now and the battery lasts pretty much as long as it did when new even though I've had to charge it every day.

You might have a hard time trying to compare the Beats.. It's a closed demo-set, making it impossible to hook-up a different music-source or different headphones.

I am however interested in your findings.

HMV has the option of a jack input for their demo stuff, so I'll be going there.
No idea if it goes through any processing, though. I suspect there's a digital volume control after the source selection.
The new Sony headphones should be here in a couple of days. My old Sonys (below) had a slightly lean sound - a touch of boost at each end helped a lot. Unfortunately the pads have begun to come apart (after 8 years), and with no replacements available (the headphones themselves were £13 new), some new headphones are in order.
I could try my old Sonys at HMV too for another data point.

2713122464_small_1.jpg

RE Macbooks, I'm comparing to an Asus N56. The sound quality (by B&O, if that helps) is rather good, with options to tweak settings such as the MaxxBass type thing (bass harmonic generator). Battery life is 5 hours at a push, though for a machine with a 2.4-3.4GHz quad core processor, 16gb of RAM and a fairly heavy duty graphics processor, that's quite impressive. The touchpad is powered by Asus Smart Gesture, which probably takes some of its functions from Apple - three-fingered swipe up gives you all open applications, down gives desktop, two fingered pinch zoom etc.
I use my laptop for a lot of gaming, so the graphics processing is key. For me, that's where Macbooks fall down - you pay so much for that processing power, and I'm unlikely to game much on battery anyway. I can see that they do a lot of things right, but I still struggle to see where exactly all of the £1500 extra goes. Its a lot of money.

Chris

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
When I bought my MacPro tower it turned out to be £500 CHEAPER than a Dell using the exact same hardware.
At around the same time my mother bought a MacBook (not pro) which again was £75 cheaper than any other laptop on the market using the same processor.

Really?

I looked at the MacBooks and decided they were totally overpriced.
My sons MacBook hard disk has crashed twice.

HMV has the option of a jack input for their demo stuff, so I'll be going there.

I went to HMV, listened to Beats and Marley (via my god daughters ipood and my Nokia N7).
Beats / Marley have a sound that can be best described as 'Like being outside then nightclub'
Then went to Argos and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD205ii's and a pair of 201's as they were on offer @ £11 for Brygen :D:D:D:D

Really?

I looked at the MacBooks and decided they were totally overpriced.
My sons MacBook hard disk has crashed twice.

Yes, really.
Of course that was in '07 but I still use the same computer with the same HD.
Previously I had a blue&white G3 which I used for 12 years without problems until it got stolen. The MacPro was the replacement from the insurance so it cost me nothing.

Incredibly fast harddrive on the Macbook Air. Superior sound quality in the speakers. The touch pad is a billion times better than the ones in Windows computers. The battery lasts for about 9 hours when watching movies or about 6-7 hours of surfing on the internet. Also it doesn't feel slow at all even though I've been using it daily for almost a year now and the battery lasts pretty much as long as it did when new even though I've had to charge it every day.

There's no delete button and no print screen button either.

The mouse doesn't have a physical right-click.

It's associated with hipsters that need to make sure everyone knows they own an Apple, wear Nudie jeans, use Louis Vuitton and wear Beats by Dr. Dre.

I don't want to be associated with them.

I have an Apple laptop from work but I installed Windows on it. The part I liked most on the Apple laptop is the screen and the metallic feeling chassis.

I'm sure there's a Dell / Acer / Asus / Sony / Toshiba / NEC / HP / Lenovo / Samsung / MSI with a fantastic battery life, fantastic screen and fantastic metal uni-body chassis.

The difference with Apple is the operating system and marketing style.

Since I went OT I will pay penance and talk about headphones. I listened to Beats once in a store, captive input, could not listen to my material, volume was way too high. One positive: the beats play loud without much distortion. Way bass-heavy though, not subtle.

What do I recommend? Inexpensive in-ear or on-ear from JVC. Sony. Audio-Technica. Denon. Sennheiser. AKG. Beyer Dynamic. Maybe Grado. For in-ears Ultimate Ears have been very good (I enjoy my cheap pair), I don't know if they still are.

But whatever, demand your right to hear them with your source, and to compare!

Wife dragged me into Staples to look at a desk chair, and lo, there were Beats cans in a display! But the display was broken. Had the clerk open it up, and there was no power. Each pair was hard wired into the switch so I couldn't plug them into anything. Now I'm very curious!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.