Do Beats by Dr. Dre Really Suck?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would not worry about the iPhone plug.

Apple will be gone within 4-5 years.

Unless there is some amazing thing that I need strapped to my face that I do not yet know about.

It is simply a proprietary cash grab. Expect to see more of this in the future from Apple in the post Jobs era.

Feel like slapping yourself? Enjoy this clip in which Kanye West discusses Apple, Beats, the internet and of course himself. Watch Kanye Talk Steve Jobs, the Internet, the Apple/Beats Deal at Cannes | SPIN | Music News

I cannot watch it but I think Kanye wants to dress the internet.

I haven't heard Beats headphones, and admit that I've never been interested in them given the overwhelmingly negative online feedback from audiophiles. I'm guilty of not making up my own mind though, so will take a listen at the next opportunity.

I keep a pair of Koss Porta Pro in my rucksack and cannot fault them for casual use with my iPhone/iPad. Nice big warm sound that works well with the shortcomings of low res streaming audio.

In the house I have Fostex T50RP, Sennheiser HD800 and Takstar HI2050. The HD800 are best but least tolerant of poor source material and poor amps. The Fostex T50RP is a very relaxing listen (smooth and elegant all the way) but quite heavy on your head. The Takstar HI2050 is a bargain at £30 - a touch of sibilance but nothing aggressive. I end up wearing the Takstar most often as I mostly use headphones for late night TV, and I very often fall asleep on the couch (they are less of a lump on your head than the other two when you hit the pillow, and less expensive to replace if your 1yo tears the cable out).

Also, a mouse ate my HD800 earpads and cable braid as well as the Beyer pads on my T50RP. It cost me £250 to replace all of the damaged parts :(

Beats is simply an example of how things are done now. Lots of hype. Lots of pretty colors and styling. Lots of marketing. Nothing of value when it comes to the actual product as when viewed in light of its intended purpose.
True... Went out to listen to them today... No possibility to judge them with your own music, as many here already complained, and the sound-quality did not even reach "crap"... it was "utter crap".

Combined with price-tag of €140 to €200 I would say selling this brand ought to be a criminal offence. A €10,- in-ear phone sounds better.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well was it Steve Jobs a few years ago tthat tried to pass off a 3rd party 'made for apple' docking station as 'hi-fi'. It was a white box with a 6" full range driver from a shed in Shenzhen. The guy was whiplash smart, but he knew squat about sound. And nothing has changed at Apple. But, the cash registers are ringing away . . . .

Well, there's a lot of Apple-bashing here in this thread and I agree that Iphone is maybe not the best product. But their Macbooks are bloody darn good. I never thought I would own an Apple product in my life, having owned only Android phones and Windows computers before. But for my travelling I bought a Macbook Air and it beats the equivalent Windows Ultrabooks in most aspects. And OS X is a much nicer environment to work in.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Well, there's a lot of Apple-bashing here in this thread and I agree that Iphone is maybe not the best product. But their Macbooks are bloody darn good. I never thought I would own an Apple product in my life, having owned only Android phones and Windows computers before. But for my travelling I bought a Macbook Air and it beats the equivalent Windows Ultrabooks in most aspects. And OS X is a much nicer environment to work in.

Mac/MacOS are solid. No doubt about that. Yet, there are better options, IMO (and I am not talking about Windblows).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
They can because they haven't seen much else (so they must) and started at very young age ? Do they understand the often cryptic messages and solve problems themselves ? Or is it daddy that has to solve them ?

Any user can operate a GUI but wait till something happens....

Joined 2011
Paid Member
They can because they haven't seen much else (so they must) and started at very young age ?

You seem to be under the impression that Linux requires some special skills.

That may have been true in 1996 but development never ceases, and Linux has been dead simple to use for at least a decade. Not to mention "Linux" is not a single entity, but a huge array of options.

Maybe try it again. I suggest Mint.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Any user can operate a GUI but wait till something happens....

Nothing just "happens".

What do you do in Windows or MacOS when these things "happen"?

I guess with Windows you reboot and if that doesn't work you re-install.

With Mac, you go ask a pre-pubescent "genius".

By the way, both Windows and MacOS have a command-line, and the one in MacOS is very-much like the one in Linux, since MacOS is built on a version of BSD Unix.

Last edited:
OT, but Apple's greatest feat has not been any of its products, but its ability to create a feeling of exclusivity in owning its product. Owning an apple product has somehow become folded into the notion of success, achievement, or arrival. Truly amazing. I fear that it is coming to an end. There was a time when yo did not question, much less mock an Apple product, but that has begun and i fear is a sign of the end......assuming it doesn't come up with something new. I just hope its next product is a dividend;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.