DL103 and Thorens TD320 TP16 arm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I recently acquired the Thorens TD320 with TP16 MKIV arm. I also bought the denon DL103 cart that I would like to use. But when I install the cart it is to close to the record surface. In fact it touches. I did not receive the spacers as they are talking inside the manual.

Has anyone idea if one can lift the arm so it does not touch. If not is somebody using the same configuration and is there somewhere the place to buy these spacers. What is the height you use?

Thank you in advance,
Pred

At the base mounting plate of the TP16 arm there are 2 small hex screws (below the gymball). If you loosen these screws you can move the complete arm assembly up and down.

After adjusting the arm height you will probably need also adjusting the arm lift height.

;)

Thanks for the help,

I tried to loosen those screews (hidden below this thing at the base of the tone arm) but I can not. They are tight and I am affraid to brake them. There are two, smaller ones (1mm or so) higher on the tonearm but those if I loosen nothing moves :( So which ones do you mean, and if you can tell me the direction of turning so if I apply maximum force at least it is a trial in the right dirrection... So you do not use spacers?

Regards,
Predrag

Hi Predrag,

You need the lower 2 ones just above the base of the TT. You need to turn them counter clockwise like loosening any normal screws. They will loosen the complete horizontal bearing. Be careful, use a tight fitting hex key of good quality to avoid damaging the screws.

;)

Pjotr said:
Hi Predrag,

You need the lower 2 ones just above the base of the TT. You need to turn them counter clockwise like loosening any normal screws. They will loosen the complete horizontal bearing. Be careful, use a tight fitting hex key of good quality to avoid damaging the screws.

;)

Do you have an idea what is the size. I have quallity hex screws at work that I can borrow, or I will buy this size...

By the way, I never adjusted VTA of the cartrige any special tips or sites where I can see how it should be...

Regards,
Predrag

If I remember well the size is 1.5 mm, but I am not sure.

Adjusting VTA is not that difficult. Start with the arm in parallel with the record when the cart is on the record. Then adjust height so both the lower frequencies and upper frequencies sound undistorted. But my experience is that the DL103 is quite forgiving about that.

In a technical way, adjust IM distortion to the lowest value with a IM test track of a test record. For that you'll need a spectrum analyser or a soundcard with some audio analysing software. But maybe this is a few miles too far for the moment.

;)

it is really stuck

Hello,

just to report I took the wrong screwdriver today (1mm) instead of 2mm which is the size. With a small one L shaped thing you can by everywhere the 2 screws in the bottom do not want to move a bit. I was afraid to force them too much and kill the screw.

I will get the right one tomorrow and try. Then I will report if I had a success.

Thanks for the tips on the VTA.

Regards,
Predrag

it worked

Hello,

I found a good screwdriver, wanadium thing... It so bended when I applied the force that I thought it will break :D But at the end screws turned and it was possible to put the tonearm higher. But now when it is so high the tonearm lift can not go as high to support the arm from the record surface or it is just a little bit above.

Now, when I am so high the VTA must be off since the tonearm comes at a high angle to the record surface. I made a small acrylic spacer (3.5mm) at work that I will try tonight to lower the DL103 down and see if there is a sound comming out :)

I did all during my lunch brake (I ate the sendwich while driving at noon from work to home :D ) so I did not test if there is a sound.

I am just amazed nobody has seen this over the net with dl103 and TP16, and I was quite sure I searched a lot. Or there is something wrong with my tonearm.

I will do the photos next days and send them so you can see how it looks.

Is there a place to by the original spacers (that are mantioned in the manual but I did not get them from the guy on the ebay) that came with thorens?

Thank you for the big help on the first part of solving the problem.

Regards,
Pred

no tracking

Now i tried, it seems my phono stage is quiet enough to amplify the thing, sans problems. But the cartridge does not track at all. I played with the yellow screw on the top of the arm hidden bellow the plastick cap. Should it be loose so the arm moves left and right or should it be tightened. When is loose, cartridge starts to track, but I am afraid if this is the good position?

VTA is off and I will try the standoff on the weekend. I think the original screws are to short for the job but I will try to see how it goes, if not I must start searching for the screws...

Regards,
Predrag

this is more like blog :(

Ok,

finally I learned a lot about my tonearm, and I think I am more than half way trough. I think VTA is pretty good. I measured the resonance using test record and both vertical and horizontal are 10-11Hz, so quite nice. I am not sure about antiskating but more fun for future...

Here is the photo of the tonearm now.

Attachments

• vta.jpg
    vta.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 430
spacer closeup

Here is the spacer closeup. It aint pretty but it works :)

I am still looking for original ones, this on is around 3.5mm.

BTW sound is good not great but good. Ok there are only a couple of hours of play but for me the base is a bit thin I will see how the DL103 develops...

Regards,
Pred

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 348
Nice Pred :)

The spacers were originally supplied with the turntable itself. Replacements are available on the internet somewhere but at unreasonable high prices. Best is to make your own from a piece of acrylic (Plexiglas) or balsawood.

One thing about the screw under the plastic top cap. Be careful with that, it holds the upper ball bearing of the horizontal bearing. If you loosen that you also introduce play in the bearing. It should be adjusted for minimal play without locking the arm bearing..

Cheers ;)

hello pjotr

Yes,
I mad mine out of acrylic, but would like to have original ones. Maybe I'll send some questions to thorens. I found that out. Never was able to adjust that screw and then I took it out completely and then figured what is happening. So I centered the arm screwed the thing and now no play and the arm is (without wight) moving when you ligthly blow to the arm.

Regards,
Pred

PS
Does VTA looks good to you?

Re: hello pjotr

pred said:
<snip>

PS
Does VTA looks good to you? [/B]

I cannot say that from a distance. You have to judge that yourself by listening, provided other things are right also, e.g. right down force as specified for the cartridge.

I don’t see why you want the original spacers. It are just small pieces of PVC plastic. Maybe you can contact Rolf Kelch for that. He was the chief engineer of the old Thorens and now started his own company.

http://www.rolf-kelch.de/

Cheers ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.