diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

Thank you 6sx7. Thanks also for the rationale. I learn slowly!

I'm looking over my boards and parts today. I notice that each of the two boards has one large resistor spot that's unlabeled (blank). An R1, an R2 or an R3 could conceivably fit. Since one board has R2 and R3 labeled and then a blank, I assume an R1 is intended for the blank (since both circuits should be identical though they're laid out differently, yes?). The other has R1 and R3 labeled and then a blank, so I assume an R2 goes there. Or is this some other kind of basic intelligence test that I'm failing?

Also, want to order my JFETS. I need an NNPP quad it appears. There are two options for that quad on the store site, one that's 6-8mA and one that's 8-11 mA. Not having any idea what the difference is, can you tell me which one of those options I need?

Many thanks,

J

Thank you 6sx7. Thanks also for the rationale. I learn slowly!

I'm looking over my boards and parts today. I notice that each of the two boards has one large resistor spot that's unlabeled (blank). An R1, an R2 or an R3 could conceivably fit. Since one board has R2 and R3 labeled and then a blank, I assume an R1 is intended for the blank (since both circuits should be identical though they're laid out differently, yes?). The other has R1 and R3 labeled and then a blank, so I assume an R2 goes there. Or is this some other kind of basic intelligence test that I'm failing?

Also, want to order my JFETS. I need an NNPP quad it appears. There are two options for that quad on the store site, one that's 6-8mA and one that's 8-11 mA. Not having any idea what the difference is, can you tell me which one of those options I need?

Many thanks,

J
If I'm following, this is for an F6? Not to be dismissive but match the schematic to the boards. Learning the layout will help with troubleshooting should it come to that. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/f6-illustrated-build-guide.277850/

As for the matching, I have not made time to research the how and why JFETs are matched. Possibly others could answer in the respective build thread. BTW, I went with 8-11 mA but I chose the Spinal Tap line of reasoning. Seriously.

How can anyone argue with Nigel Tufnel’s line of reasoning? Plus they’re five bucks more, so they have to be good.

But yes I can see where the holes are on the schematic, I’ll just fill in the blanks. Was mostly double checking that there wasn’t a magic part out there that wasn’t on the BOM.

Cheerio and thanks,

J

How can anyone argue with Nigel Tufnel’s line of reasoning? Plus they’re five bucks more, so they have to be good.

But yes I can see where the holes are on the schematic, I’ll just fill in the blanks. Was mostly double checking that there wasn’t a magic part out there that wasn’t on the BOM.

Cheerio and thanks,

J
Oh, ya. gotchya now. Yes, no magic part missing. The silkscreening was not complete.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Logic check on my PSUv3 boards. I will be using one single rail smps per channel (LuFo). Does the attached pic make sense? Don’t want to blow up my newly arrived caps!

Attachments

• 2FD3A14B-F86F-4E3F-A6B0-BCFE661121B2.jpeg
    2FD3A14B-F86F-4E3F-A6B0-BCFE661121B2.jpeg
    781.8 KB · Views: 133
Joined 2019
Paid Member
The critical connections to not blow up your caps are from your rectifiers to the filter board. I can't quite see how they're marked on the boards, and I don't have a set in front of me. Your notes for output are correct based on the board markings.

If I recall correctly, each half is identical, and I think you've got it correct. Just to be sure, another pic from top down with the input side of the filter board would be helpful. Someone may just remember the layout and be able to tell you from the existing pic. Either that, or just be sure to hook up + to + and - to - for the input to the filter boards just as they're marked. No reversing on the input.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thank you. See attached for detail from my previous picture. Top right and bottom right for inputs.
My logic followed the + and - areas for the big caps on the board, so it made sense to me (but I’m an electrical simpleton). I’ll test with my 2 meanwelll SMPS to see if things power up appropriately.

Attachments

• CA99D084-3B9F-4B5F-8A27-B369BF39B1E1.png
    CA99D084-3B9F-4B5F-8A27-B369BF39B1E1.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 80
  • DBE3795D-5D97-4985-8DBE-789D8F54E68F.png
    DBE3795D-5D97-4985-8DBE-789D8F54E68F.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 77
So then. Things are progressing fairly well. I'm working on power supply installation, using an AnTek AS-3218 18V transformer. I plan to wire the terminal block according to the diagram from the Aleph J build blog:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...rated-build-guide.244788/page-39#post-5640721

My question however is: how do I know which of the primary windings from the transformer is the "first" and which is the "second"? I've tested my red-black pairs for continuity, so I've got that going for me. However I don't know which pair is "Red 1 and Back 2" and which one is "Red 3 and Black 4".

I presume the same question applies to the leads on the other that connect to the rectifier bridges, but first thing's first.

Also, can't help but notice I don't have an AC power cord for when the time comes (eventually) to power this beast up. Any part suggestions?

Many thanks again from J T. Noob.

J

No that’s good. I think between you and the tutorials (which say nothing at all on the subject) I’m good. It’ll be testing time shortly anyway. Sometimes I think I’m building this beast only to take it completely apart to see where I went wrong, but that’d be OK too. There’s no rush and I’m interested to learn.

Thanks!