diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but when you speak to Toroidy mention that you need the transformer for audio; this will get you a bigger core and a thicker wire used for the secondaries. Gets more pricey as well. Not sure if they advertise it on their homepage though.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but when you speak to Toroidy mention that you need the transformer for audio; this will get you a bigger core and a thicker wire used for the secondaries. Gets more pricey as well. Not sure if they advertise it on their homepage though.

They are specific on that matter:
Standard grade (casual)
Audio grade (potted core)
Supreme audiograde (potted in a glossy (hopefully mumetal) shield)

They probably have different materials for the windings as well but don’t know.

Price go up of course (the first item is a 20VA, prices are 60 - 100 - 299 zlotys, just to give you a perspective)

(And no, I am not affiliated, just like them audio-grade trannies :) )

Yup, I've asked for the Supreme Audio. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Hi All,

I built a V3 PSU, 24vDC rail, 60,000uf / rail and 4ea .47ohm resistors / rail.

I measured the PSU ripple loaded with a ACA v1.8 at idle, it measures 296mV.

I'd like to get the ripple down a bit more, would adding some of the optional resistors help or maybe look at changing the capacitors out?

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
296mV of ripple seems like a lot for a CRC of 30,000uF - 0.12R - 30,000uF.

Did you set up the power supply for one rail per channel? So that each channel has its own CRC, for 120,000uF total for two channels?

And how did you measure the ripple? Oscilloscope? Any noise/hum at amplifier output?

More information/details/pictures would be helpful.

I'm using this PSU to power an ACA v1.8 until I build the F5.
Transfo is Antek 5218 (240vAC in)
PSU is setup for -24, 0, +24 vDC.
This test was on the +24 rail, so test is against 60,000uf of capacitance only.
Yes I do have very slight hum at speaker if pre is connected to ACA, if I disconnect the RCA inputs the hum goes and its dead silent.
I know I have a ground loop and quite sure its within the ACA and will address that next once I get this ripple down a bit.

Did you set up the power supply for one rail per channel? So that each channel has its own CRC, for 120,000uF total for two channels? Yes correct

Sorry for the crappy scope pic, damned if I can find an app that will display Hantek exported screen shots!

Attachments

• IMG_3338.jpg
    IMG_3338.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3345.jpg
    IMG_3345.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I see that you are only using one rail in your picture. Are you powering both channels with the one rail, drawing 2.9A or only one channel? I had assumed one channel per rail, so 1.45A per rail. The current draw will affect ripple. The higher the currrent, the higher the ripple.

Also AC frequency will affect ripple. 50Hz has higher ripple than 60Hz. I had mistakenly assumed 60Hz.

So with 2.9A and 50Hz, your measured ripple is closer to what I would expect, although still higher than the 200mV that I got from a PSU Designer II simulation. But it is in the ballpark. If you are powering only one channel, drawing 1.45A, then the simulation showed 100mV ripple.

As Jim mentioned, adding resistors in parallel will reduce the R and increase ripple. Increasing the R will decrease ripple.

You have noticeable hum only when a preamp is connected, and no hum when no preamp is connected. That would indicate that power supply ripple is not the cause of the hum, but some sort of grounding issue is the cause.

Morning Ben Mah,

thanks for the response. Yes powering both channels from the one rail.
This PSU is ultimatly intended for a F5 but I just wanted to see how it worked with the ACA.
I do plan on building a PSU for this ACA and get rid of the SMPS, there are noticeable benefits with this PSU on the ACA.. dynamics & stringed intrument resolve
Given its drawing ~2.9A from a single rail and you say the ripple is within the ball park I'll tick this off and move onto the hum.
I'm 90% sure the hum is due to how the ACA is wired (as per v1.8 schematic).
Currently both channel PCB earths tie back to a common earth - star.
I plan to change this to a series earth, whereby a single wire from common earth goes to one PCB then jumper from there over to the other PCB.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears!!

Thanks

Last edited: