diyAudio and Piracy issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
serengetiplains said:
It's not conspiracy theorizing to want an explanation of things that don't quite add up.

You and others have had an explanation given to you by a moderator. If you refuse to accept it what else can be done? It is impossible to prove the explanation's veracity. The only explanation that some of you are willing to accept is the one that confirms your suspicions. Smells like a conspiracy theory to me.

Additionally, this is only an internet forum. I find it impossible to believe that some of you protest half as much in situations that actually matter.

jh6you,

Your input is appreciated and well taken. The forums is not only a source of knowledge and inspiration in electronics, but provides an interesting study in the domain of human behaviour as well.

I will continue improving my ways, not only in equipment building, but also in interacting with other people.

Again, thanks for your comments. I believe they were well meant.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I was cured, all right. Thank you very much for this chance, sir.

Peter Daniel said:

I am not really a commercial person, at least not in a sense those two guys could be regarded. Majority of the products I present on this forum are my personal endeavours, built for personal use only. They are not any different from other members projects. Being an enthusiasm and diy builder, I should have the right to express my opinion on the sound of what I built, especially if it might be of interest to other members.

I never compared the sound of my two commercial amps (AMP1 and monoblocks) with others (on this forum). I expressed an opinion on someone elses design only once, but it was compared against non commercial amp, an amp that I built as one off, personal unit. I did it, because I was asked for that opinion.

I also try to respect this forum as an amateur DIY community, and try to help DIYer’s demands. If I earn anything by doing this, it is purely a side income, not direct income. My direct income comes from selling my two commercial amps (and preamp), and as far as I'm aware, I'm not doing it through this forum.

I might also speculate that I ignited your potential envy. I didn't expected it, as you were always despising chip amps.

First of all, what is side income and what is the difference between that and real money? Is it in DIY dollars or some kind of scrip that can only be spent on the forum. We have heard this "I am not making any money stuff" so often we are starting to wonder exactly how much money you are not making and the motivations for making an average of nearly 8 post a day. When I read these post, I see a remarkably few of them that seem to be geared to the good of the forum and an overwhelming number that are self serving, financially motivated, spin control, or pretty plain attempts to suppress views that are contrary to your own self interest. I have no problem with people making money. There are plenty of people who manage to make money in even the kits, parts, and finished board market. The difference is they don't seem to need to co-opt an entire forum, **** on the people that helped them, and try and brow beat them into helping them more; all for the good of the forum of course. It seems that your post have gone beyond spin control and opportunism into the level of propaganda and Orwell's newspeak. Don't veiw any of this an attempt to limit your free ( well at least resonably priced and only side income) speech. The more rocks you accidently turn over, in the process of turning over a new leaf, the more we get to see what it scurrying around underneath. I never miss a single one of your post and can never predict what you will say next. Can you?

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/ns-home.html

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
MalichiConstant said:

When I read these post, I see a remarkably few of them that seem to be geared to the good of the forum and an overwhelming number that are self serving, financially motivated, spin control, or pretty plain attempts to suppress views that are contrary to your own self interest.

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/ns-home.html

Now just try to imagine it was you yourself you're speaking of ( except for the supposed financial thing ), Fred.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Turing over rocks and glass houses

That is a bit difficult since I am not try to sell stuff on the forum, criticize anyone who dares to try and push the level of design past the very basics, ask for design help while insulting every capable of giving it, and talking about doing everything for the good of the forum while doing it.

Photocopy anything interesting lately that you might want to share with the forum?

serengetiplains,
The argument that "it's promotion for the artist" is self-serving nonsense. If you don't think it matters to have your work put out without your permission and without compensation, try it sometime. I've had stories pirated and I don't care for the practice.
Not to mention the fact that it's illegal.
Unfortunately, in a world where people think nothing of stealing music over the internet, I guess it's too much to expect folks to respect authors and artists. After all, they're even lower on the totem pole than musicians.

Grey

P.S.: I have given permission for my stories to be used in creative writing classes (without pay), but that's the exception, not the rule.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With Jam not willing to answer the direct question about copyright, Grey's expert opinion, and the response i have received from inquiries to people noted in the cartoons themselves, we will be removing all of Jam's cartoons to be safe.

He should get SinBin, but because of the delay in pursuing the matter, will probably only get a warning.

It probably would have been fine if he has linked to the thumnail on the cartoon site and provided a URL in each case, but actually attaching the cartoon to the diyAudio database puts us in jeprody.

dave/planet10 :captain:

Wow, something new retro-active SinBin...............:D I wonder how many years it takes to figure if some thing is wrong or right? And what all the other cartoon and posted schematics......are you going to remove them too.

Like I have said before.................this reeks of selective moderation.

Regards,
Jam

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Gary Larsen has created thousands of single frame cartoons (plural), all of which comprise his "work" (singular).

This is a nice lawyerly argument to support people that believe they should be able to down load stuff without payment.

But I doubt that the law is interpreted this way... So you are saying that I should be able to download an entire album because it is ony part of the musician's work (singular)
A bit of a stretch I'd say....
Or only one song? the radio station I listen to had a day of playing "one hit wonders". Lots of groups had only one song that was good and very popular. So, maybe they weren't consistantly good musicians, but that means they shouldn't get any reward for a song that is exteremely popular?

I agree that the record companies are the problem, But I do think that the artists own their work and are entitled to compensation- I just hate giving the majority of the money to the record companies instead of the artists.

Jam- if you are going to join a mob demanding protection for intellectual property, then you show some respect for peoples intellectual property. Why open yourself up to scrutiny if you are not pure yourself. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander as they say.... Love the CD though Thanks...And I put the Aleph X board which Fred claims is a ripoff of Nelsons intellectual property(whoops there you go, being hypocritical again...) in my "drawer of projects I dream of making. Thanks.

Piracy. Group buys, and The Mod Squad......

For the most part, I really don't care who the mods are.

But.........we have reason to believe that at least 2 of them are guilty of IP theft, and should be removed as moderators.

As for group buys:

Why the hell do most of them have the mods in the middle? It reeks of conflict of interest.

I feel that we need to have a Czar of All Group Sales, who is passionate about the success of the forum, is impartial, and seems to be consciensous.

So.....I nomimate Variac to oversee, coordinate, and make sure that everything is "above the board" on all group buys.

If he is unable to do this because he has a life beyond DIY, then maybe we should look in another direction.

So........then let's give it to Millwood. Maybe giving the chap something to contribute other than kvetching may improve his attitude greatly.

Hell.........it has to be better than what we have now.

Jocko

Dave,

If you think so.....but why was it not directed at me...............the answer to your question is no...........but legally if said content was used for educational purposes and to illustrate a point and have not copied the entire site or content, you are ok.

But the question I posed above...

Are you going to remove everyones's post's similar to mine form the forum ........schematics included.

If so there is not much content left....and how far back do you go?

Do you deal with all members fairly or am I being targeted because the questions I have raised about PD upset you. Why now.

It is a shame you are being so petty about the matter and why can't you address me directly......I promise not to bite,;)

Regards,
Jam

Variac,

You miss the point................no one if profiting from my actions...and there is a legal arguement for posting what I posted and I am not taking away from anyone's livelyhood.

If Dave want's to stick to his ideals(not mine) he should remove almost all schematics too. (...but he is being selective again - much like his relationship with Peter Daniel)

Regards,
Jam

P.S. You now re the proud owner of some Aleph-X boards.......so stop waiting around.....start building. ;) and as far as the boards go, I believe Mr.Pass gave that project the Green Light. If you have further questions please e-mail me directly.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Why the hell do most of them have the mods in the middle? It reeks of conflict of interest.

As I mentioned-- It's because the mods are the same people willling to put the time in.......No one else has stepped up but Brian. The same drive or "lack of life beyond DIY Audio" is what drives a person to be a moderator AND/or a group buy coordinator. Or they are people that passionately believe that DIY Audio is a great thing...

So........then let's give it to Millwood. Maybe giving the chap something to contribute other than kvetching may improve his attitude greatly.
Seriously, why don't you do it Fred? Maybe you would Kvetch less then. After all you are the one that sees the problem as so serious. I actually think your idea is a good one, but you have the answer in your own question- no one wants to do it.

You really will have to do it to "get it done right"

Jam- I truly do feel that your cartoon copying is inappropriate....
I do find them amusing often. But I also fine songs that I could download from the net free amusing and entertaining also.
I would guess that no one copies so much of other's intellectual property into this forum as you.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jam said:
.the answer to your question is no...........but legally if said content was used for educational purposes to to illustrate a point and not copied the entire site or content, you are ok.

Not according to the guys who's sites they came off (at least the ones i talked too)

But the question I posed above...

Are you going to remove everyones's post's similar to mine form the forum ........schematics included.

If so there is not much content left....and how far back do you go?

This is something that has been happening for a long time, where clear copyright violation is involved. We will never get all that infringe but we try... and there is the fair use/education thing which more directly applies to schematics.

And as to moderating you, we can only moderate one person a a time, and you painted a big bulls-eye on your forehead.

dave

Dave,

Moderating one person at a time........with a whole team of moderators.........please, I wasn't born yesterday.......or is that an excuse for selective moderation.

Regards,
Jam

P.S. This is the most animated I have seen you in a long while........which I think is good........because now you can go forth and correct the ills of the forum.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.