DIY Turntable plans?

Any plans out there for a DIY turntable? I was thinking it'd be fun to buy some components and build a plinth for them. I'd buy a tonearm, bearing, motor, and probably also a large platter, and then build a handsome plinth to unite them all. But I'm not sure where to begin. I see lots of cool builds online, but many of them seem largely developed entirely by the builder. I lack the science/math skills necessary to design my own system, but if there were some plans out there, I could follow them.
Does such a thing exist?

Not sure on what you are looking for. Are you looking something on the inexpensive I think Altman did a table and arm for really cheap. Do you have a lathe or mill? There are lots of threads on all the different parts for a turntables some very high end . Really comes down to what you want for the finished product. For putting the parts together there are tons of pictures of DIY turntables and factory tables.

Enjoy the ride
Tom

Chet I should have read your post again . It is really more about mechanical skills than math or science. There is no consensus on almost every part of the turntable. But if I was in your shoes I would start high mass belt/tape drive. There are tables to get your mounting distance for you arm or the manufacturer will give you that distance.

I just thought of something look up Teres audio and project. That how I got started around 2000. There should be tons of information and pictures of lots of the groups tables. Not sure how many parts Chris sells any more but the information is priceless. If you have the money Chris sells a rim drive motor which is quite nice. Also if you can solder there is a 3 phase motor thread which is unbelievable for the money. So get a platter and bearing that will fit together and handle the weight. I like lead loaded aluminum for platter. Hope this helps a little in getting you started.

Enjoy the ride
Tom

Hi, Chetjettison

I agree totally with TomWh's posts. Are you looking to make a turntable from scratch ? Unless you have some machinery and the shills to use them, you are probably looking for some type of "kit" where you assemble the parts. Check out the Rega turntables and their forums. They also have several levels of tonearms. You can also check out EBAY under turntable / parts for some reasonable deals on platters and motors.. There is also a current thread here on turntable plinths. Best of luck with your project !!!

Joe

Turntable build

I have gone the easy route & bought a Technics SP15, so T/T fixed
I am going to buy a 12'' tonearm in kit form, from Temaadaudio, about $290.
In my research on plinth design there is a very good article on the difference in sound quality achieved from the plinth material chosen. it was do by TNTaudio on line mag a few years ago, but still is very relevant
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct..._kit2_e.html&usg=AOvVaw13Mi8nIeHQPY4QWoQMYfUR

Hope this helps. cheers

Hi,

I made my own TT about 15 years ago.

Bearing was lathe under my spec by an ex colleague at that time. Shaft is 13mm with spere 5mm and the sleeve are lathe from a solid single piece of bronze. This year I have replaced the thrust plate while the bushes are in great shape and allowance still. Oil bath of course.

Platter 4.5 Kg in Acrylic purchased from Scheu Analogue at that time.

Floating system with 3 mags lev of my design.
Bearing support made from a special aluminium plate sound proof treated.

Plint made from wood birch , two type and leads insert in each layer of the wood.

Motor using a 5.5 inch floppy motor and a PC feeder separated from the plinth.

3 belts drive, single pulley.

I try to make a double motor 3 belt drive with fly wheel ala VPI, but I failed as the mechanical precision of the fly wheel was nt up to the task. The stability anyhow was great. This project is on a stand by position.

Tonearm. I first bought a Rega RB 250, made some tweaking to the stub and offset weight, ground wire. I do not currently use it and is boxed.

Second I bought a new telco 750 L 12 inch, used for a while and replaced, now is boxed.

I made my own unipivot wood 12 inch tonearm with high mass for Denon DL 103. I still use it.

I also attempt to make a clone of the Schroeder Ref 1 TA with bamboo arm wand. I have used recently and I was pleased of its sound , so I make the micro VTA weight adjustment, fitted an arm lift and going to change the inner wire with better one. Soon I will fit again on the TT.

Price wise the TT was not that cheap as I paid about 400 Euro only for the acrylic platter, several parts needed to be made by a lathe guy and not for free.

If you can manage to make your own TA may pretty well worth it because to buy a TT on the same sounding level you would spend few thousand euros, lets say around 4000 to 5000 Euro.

Look? I think mine is not too bad considering the original mag floating system.

Attached a pic with the previous Fly wheel and 2 motors drive unit.

Rgds

Adelmo

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,041
Hi,

The bearing is a standard one, the bearing support is floating by Mags.

I do not like much the mag bearings.

The 3 mags are in the 3 plinth feet and they isolate well from the floor back noise the bearing and platter. If I knock on the plinth while playing no effect at all on the sound.

Rgds

Adelmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure on what you are looking for. Are you looking something on the inexpensive I think Altman did a table and arm for really cheap. Do you have a lathe or mill? There are lots of threads on all the different parts for a turntables some very high end . Really comes down to what you want for the finished product. For putting the parts together there are tons of pictures of DIY turntables and factory tables.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
Feel free to link some of the high end turntable threads or plans. I am currently upgrading the crossovers in my Canton Reference 3.2 DC speakers. I was, and still am, dumbfounded that most expensive speakers have relatively inexpensive crossovers. Looks like Canton spent all of $100 on each crossover. Once I finish this upgrade, I would be looking to build a TT. Someone had the Teres Acrylic Platter Filled with Ball Bearings Mounted on BDR Plinth TT. He had it up for sale and I offered to buy it one day after he sold it. Bad timing leads to this wonderful opportunity.

I have tools but I don't have a shop or heavy machinery. A friend is a contractor and carpenter and does have a complete shop. He even has access to a CNC machine. If I could spend $1-2k to build a TT that would retail for $5-10k that would be a success by any measure of the word. There are some beautiful TTs out there. Any reference TT is always a stunning beauty, hopefully they sound as good as they look.

Feel free post any primers on TTs and really basic builds. Thanks so much.

Turntable build

I have gone the easy route & bought a Technics SP15, so T/T fixed
I am going to buy a 12'' tonearm in kit form, from Temaadaudio, about $290.
In my research on plinth design there is a very good article on the difference in sound quality achieved from the plinth material chosen. it was do by TNTaudio on line mag a few years ago, but still is very relevant
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi4-MnRkJbzAhXq4jgGHZoIAfkQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/teemaudio_kit2_e.html&usg=AOvVaw13Mi8nIeHQPY4QWoQMYfUR

Hope this helps. cheers
Thanks for posting this link. I thought the double plinth of TT4 would be the best and it was the most resonant!! Amazing.

Hi,

I made my own TT about 15 years ago.

Bearing was lathe under my spec by an ex colleague at that time. Shaft is 13mm with spere 5mm and the sleeve are lathe from a solid single piece of bronze. This year I have replaced the thrust plate while the bushes are in great shape and allowance still. Oil bath of course.

Platter 4.5 Kg in Acrylic purchased from Scheu Analogue at that time.

Floating system with 3 mags lev of my design.
Bearing support made from a special aluminium plate sound proof treated.

Plint made from wood birch , two type and leads insert in each layer of the wood.

Motor using a 5.5 inch floppy motor and a PC feeder separated from the plinth.

3 belts drive, single pulley.

I try to make a double motor 3 belt drive with fly wheel ala VPI, but I failed as the mechanical precision of the fly wheel was nt up to the task. The stability anyhow was great. This project is on a stand by position.

Tonearm. I first bought a Rega RB 250, made some tweaking to the stub and offset weight, ground wire. I do not currently use it and is boxed.

Second I bought a new telco 750 L 12 inch, used for a while and replaced, now is boxed.

I made my own unipivot wood 12 inch tonearm with high mass for Denon DL 103. I still use it.

I also attempt to make a clone of the Schroeder Ref 1 TA with bamboo arm wand. I have used recently and I was pleased of its sound , so I make the micro VTA weight adjustment, fitted an arm lift and going to change the inner wire with better one. Soon I will fit again on the TT.

Price wise the TT was not that cheap as I paid about 400 Euro only for the acrylic platter, several parts needed to be made by a lathe guy and not for free.

If you can manage to make your own TA may pretty well worth it because to buy a TT on the same sounding level you would spend few thousand euros, lets say around 4000 to 5000 Euro.

Look? I think mine is not too bad considering the original mag floating system.

Attached a pic with the previous Fly wheel and 2 motors drive unit.

Rgds

Adelmo
This is an amazing TT. Feel free to post more info. Very interested in how you put it together. And please post more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3684.jpg
    IMG_3684.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 220
Here's my DIY build. Sony belt-drive TT bearing and platter, mounted on a chopping board, converted to DD using a Technics coreless motor (still using Sony bearing tho). Pro-ject acrylic platter used as a "mat". Only needed a battery drill and router to build it.
Cheers, Mike
View attachment 1042122

Hi Mikey,

Nice!

I also want to use for my new TT project the Project Acrylic platter as thick mat and also because I like Acrylic as well. Can you pls tell me which Project acrylic platter did u use and how you stacked in the Sony platter.

I was planning to use a 20mm thick platter Acrylic IT E but I do not know how to interface it with the original Lenco L 75 aluminum platter.

Thank you in advance if you can help me, best regards

Adelmo

Reactions: 1 user