DIY Tube Mic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, I might be a option but these capsules are even more expensive than the whoule kit. I might build it and exchange the capsule later.

For now my biggest concern is the tube. The supplier confirmet its a chines tube, im not sure that I can easy just put a other inside, I saw some nice russian golden tube for 70 bugs i would consider... but as I made only one tube project ant that was micro tubes I have no experience on that, nor knowledge.

Thanks, I might be a option but these capsules are even more expensive than the whoule kit. I might build it and exchange the capsule later.

For now my biggest concern is the tube. The supplier confirmet its a chines tube, im not sure that I can easy just put a other inside, I saw some nice russian golden tube for 70 bugs i would consider... but as I made only one tube project ant that was micro tubes I have no experience on that, nor knowledge.

I just recieved my Aurycle mic kit :D 3 days from final click to my driveway!

I purchased it to act as a testbed for circuits, tubes, and capsules, and I am not disappointed with the construction quality. It looks alot like a raw Apex460. I think I'll build it stock first before I start putting my own circuits in, just as a baseline. I have Peluso capsules, AKG teflon CK12, and a couple of Neumann capsules I want to try eventually. Tubes on my list are 12AY7, EF86 triode mode, 5840, and 5703WB.

The way I see it is for about $130 you get a $250 mic, but upgrading the capsule, tube, and maybe OPT for an additional $200 or so you can end up with something equivalent to (or even better than) a Peluso or cheap RFT M16 mic you would pay over $1000 for.

Anyway, I'll post the progress and let you know if I succeed.

As far as tube substitution goes, the Aurycle circuit is pretty standard for tube mics with typical voltages and impedance values. It uses cathode auto-bias, so the Rk may need to be changed for different tubes. I would probably try a 12AY7 first. It looks like it will drop in with the same Rk abd bias up to a reasonable point. You should have somewhere between 40-80V on the plate if the bias is correct, which is about .5 mA plate current assuming 120V B+.

The circuit may also be picky about the individual tube. It's a good idea to get a couple or 3 tubes to try. Some may work/sound better than others. The tube needs to be really clean and gas-free, and some occasional tubes will work in other circuits but not in a tube mic due to grid leakage.

I haven't heard of a 12AU7 in a tube mic but I'm sure it's worth a try. You may need to change the Rk value to get the proper bias.

Cheers,

Michael

Last edited:
I just recieved my Aurycle mic kit :D 3 days from final click to my driveway!

I purchased it to act as a testbed for circuits, tubes, and capsules, and I am not disappointed with the construction quality. It looks alot like a raw Apex460. I think I'll build it stock first before I start putting my own circuits in, just as a baseline. I have Peluso capsules, AKG teflon CK12, and a couple of Neumann capsules I want to try eventually. Tubes on my list are 12AY7, EF86 triode mode, 5840, and 5703WB.

The way I see it is for about $130 you get a $250 mic, but upgrading the capsule, tube, and maybe OPT for an additional $200 or so you can end up with something equivalent to (or even better than) a Peluso or cheap RFT M16 mic you would pay over $1000 for.

Anyway, I'll post the progress and let you know if I succeed.

As far as tube substitution goes, the Aurycle circuit is pretty standard for tube mics with typical voltages and impedance values. It uses cathode auto-bias, so the Rk may need to be changed for different tubes. I would probably try a 12AY7 first. It looks like it will drop in with the same Rk abd bias up to a reasonable point. You should have somewhere between 40-80V on the plate if the bias is correct, which is about .5 mA plate current assuming 120V B+.

The circuit may also be picky about the individual tube. It's a good idea to get a couple or 3 tubes to try. Some may work/sound better than others. The tube needs to be really clean and gas-free, and some occasional tubes will work in other circuits but not in a tube mic due to grid leakage.

I haven't heard of a 12AU7 in a tube mic but I'm sure it's worth a try. You may need to change the Rk value to get the proper bias.

Cheers,

Michael

I have a few of the Apex 460 mic's that are in various stages of upgrades. So far I've had the best sound with the 12AY7 tubes. I am also going to make some socket adapters and try some "pencil" tubes such as 6111 and 6021 and see how those sound.
Those kits sound like a good deal for someone that is going to do the mods as it is cheaper than buying the APEX 460's and modding them.

Dave

I have a few of the Apex 460 mic's that are in various stages of upgrades. So far I've had the best sound with the 12AY7 tubes. I am also going to make some socket adapters and try some "pencil" tubes such as 6111 and 6021 and see how those sound.
Those kits sound like a good deal for someone that is going to do the mods as it is cheaper than buying the APEX 460's and modding them.

Dave

Let me clarify a little. These are not identical to an Apex 460. First, they're not multipattern and have only a single side capsule.

What I mean is that they're built like a 460 in construction style. OPT shielded at the bottom, nearly identical headbasket construction, but the parts e.g. capsule mount are really low end where the 460 is a notch up or so. These also have a different circuit board. E.g. the wiring for variable polarization voltage is there onthe PCB and in the cable but not connected...

I agree that these are a better deal if you're planning to replace the capsule and do more extensive original mods. On the other hand, if you want to do the mods on the Apex 460 mod web pages step by step this mic won't work. It's not compatible to that level.

For me it's a way to experiment with circuits and components.

I think I'll end up with the Peluso CEK-12, Cinemag CM-2480 OPT, and a 12AY7 using the AKG C12 circuit with variable pattern and maybe a little different bias scheme. The pattern control can go inline.

Michael

Well guys im realy a nood, can anyone please tell me if i can do so?

You can swap a 12au7 for a 12ax7 and likely it will still work to a degree but if the goal is to improve the sound you'd need to swap out a few resisters. The AX and AU are different tubes wit the same pin outs The AX is a high gain tube the AU is a high current tube.

There are others in the series too, like the 12AT7 that fall between the AX and AU

Ok since I able to solder it but nor realy able to decide what resistors to change to what value, what if I would just swap the manufacturer stay with the 12AX7 but instead of a chinies tube I would buy a russian, would that work or still I would need to change some resistors?

Ok since I able to solder it but nor realy able to decide what resistors to change to what value, what if I would just swap the manufacturer stay with the 12AX7 but instead of a chinies tube I would buy a russian, would that work or still I would need to change some resistors?

The brand of tube here is not as important as the type. Going to a 12AU7 just to get a Telefunken tube in there is not likely to be the best approach to improve this mic.

Any 12AX7 should work the same in the circuit without changes. A 12AX7 should bias to about 0.5 mA plate current. You may need to try more than one tube regardless of which brand due to minute gas in some samples. Look for about 40-60V drop across the 100K plate resistor. (A 12AU7 will bias up to 1.2mA or so and would likely not work as well).

For myself I would use a 12AY7/6072 AND drop the B+ of the mic down from the stock 200V to 120V. I don't know why they go to 200V on these; it places 100V on the capsule where 60V is standard for most LD capsules (inclusing the Peluso etc.).

Cheers,

Michael

FET Capsule have two types Inner or without FET

Hi
As I know the Electret Condenser Microphone has two types Right now.

Inner FET type :
With this type, the FET is inner the capsule, which is SMD backside of the MIC' PCB. And the FET is MosFET .

Without FET type
Wtih this Type, Inner side do not have MOSFET. Engineer need make the FET on the main board,and the main board must connect with the ECM.

Please check the above links, Check the Schematic Diagram
You can find these two types are different.

Gary

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I'm a bit surprised the Aurycle schematic uses only half a 12AX7. NOS AX7's are getting insanely expensive. If he designed with a single triode tube (6EU7? or 6AV7? -- I'm trying to remember) then you get the same specs for 1/5 the price for NOS.

On the other hand, I realize you can't find these at your local music store. I guess I'd just have done it differently, being a hardcore DIY'er.

From ChrisA
You were planning to build tow for stereo recording, people typically don't record a vocalist in stereo. They pan the track to stereo in the mix later, same for most instruments. Stereo might be used to record an ensomble
Chris, we used to record a lot of instruments in stereo, and vocals too. If you've got the mics and the tracks, USE THEM. The difference in outcome is worthwhile if you're working on nice music. There are some instruments where it would be a travesty not to use stereo mics; acoustic guitars for one, off the top of my head.

..Todd

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.