DIY Speaker Binding Post

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
navin said:
i guess he is travelling.

i'm in-between travelling. leaving for China next monday. But should be back in time for George (gjo) who is visiting me from B'lore.

BTW how's the little one? Angshu told me he needed med attention.

sunil said:
What happenend to...

The binding posts turned out quite ok? But honestly I can't figure out any difference for good or worse compared to my OE fittings. Also, I've not been able to find time to refine the basic design. Someday when i'm thro with my 'earning' job i should be getting down to this one.

navin said:
...i am in ...

Bhai jaan woh WIKI DIKI ka kya hoga? I guess you'r the best qualified to initiate any such venture.

Just got those new design Cardas binding posts today, and I'm quite impressed when I actually had a chance to play with them for a while. Looking at the pictures on Cardas site they seemed a bit ackward, but in reality they are quite cool. Although it is a patented design, it may bring some inspiration to some more inventive diy members here, as doing their own binding posts according to this principle would be much easier. Basically all the parts can be made out of acrylic or some other hard plastic and the only metal parts are the Allen bolt and two pieces creating the contact area (good for spades only).

As Jonathan mentioned before, that type of design eliminates the metal nuts (which could be good), eliminates the tention from the posts, and creates shorter path through the posts to subsequent wires. They are also very easy to tighten or open (no special wrenches required anymore) as the large knob simplifies that. The knob comes in a variety of custom designs.
http://www.cardas.com/oem/index.html

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 470
corbato said:
BTW how's the little one? Angshu told me he needed med attention.

The binding posts turned out quite ok? But honestly I can't figure out any difference for good or worse compared to my OE fittings. Also, I've not been able to find time to refine the basic design. Someday when i'm thro with my 'earning' job i should be getting down to this one.

Bhai jaan woh WIKI DIKI ka kya hoga? I guess you'r the best qualified to initiate any such venture.

ok. i have emailed you in private about adi. will look at wiki when i am travelling. those airport lounges now have wifi (about time!) and i get a lot of time to myself there. dont be surprised with lots of wierd IP adddresses from my post logs.

This is a great thread. I need six binding posts for each speaker (12 total). I have a small machine shop and can make posts small enough for six to fit on the thick PTFE plate that covers the opening in the back of the speakers. I'm going to Mccmaster. I've been buying from them for years and have always been happy with their products. I'm thinking a beryllium copper threaded post with a hole drilled through for the speaker wire. Just a flat washer, lock washer and nut in the inside and just a nut on the outside. Those would secure the post to the plate and just another copper nut for clamping the wire, going through the hole, against the outside nut. I'll post a pic of a sketch. I'm looking for functionality and pretty.

Another thought crossed my mind on connecting my speakers. I have 3 way speakers. I removed the drivers and soldered wires to each speaker. The wires extend out of a thick nylon plate screwed to the back of each speaker. Each plate has three holes, marked W, M, T, where the wires come out. Those wires connect to six wires in an outboard xover.

Instead of making binding posts I'm thinking of just soldering the six wires from the speaker to the six wires in the wooden outboard xover box. I would think a good solder joint, covered with shrink tubing, for each wire would be a very good connection and nothing to buy or make.

I don't envision changing or moving anything in this system any time soon. Also un-soldering is easy, and don't think it will damage the wires, if I decide to change things. I'll appreciate any thoughts on this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.