DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Way back in late 2019 I built the M2X - in a Krell donor chassis - and almost immediately lent it to a friend whose amp had to be sent off for major surgery. Partly due to the pestilence - and him falling in love with the sound - I still have not got it back. Should I be one of the Fifteen Fortunate Dozen this one won’t be going out on loan. Take note all ye from my rock who may read this.

The remarkable spirit of generosity on the Pass forum - one prominent member offered to give me his M2X on hearing the story above - continues to shine brightly with this unique gift.

Thanks to all involved, it must be quite a task pulling it all together.

And, to the One Wizard Who Rules Them All, well....once again you’ve led by example.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I found this forum last year looking to learn something about HIFI after I got robbed at home my two amps (Sansui and Technics inhereted from my father) with Acoustic Research and Fisher speakers along with a small vinyl and CD collection.

I´ve learned a lot reading over and over the different threads here but still have not done anything, I have some AMP CAM pcbs coming along with some power supplies, also next month I plan to buy a soekris DAM 1121 that will be the new heart of my system.

This forum and the DIY audiophile comunity in general is something like I´ve never seen on other hobbies I have like car/engine tuning, or photography where there is a lot more rivalry and secretism. The fact that Nelson Pass is sharing this Amp in the way he is doing it is just another confirmation of this feeling, I´m very happy to have found this rabbit hole of DIY audio. Best of luck to everyone!

This might not be the right place to ask, but if I was duplicating the noise filter PCB for other projects with SMPS could a common mode choke be used if wired in series ?

I have a hard time getting my head around the different coil types and application, google crawling only adds more confusion to my little brain...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have an as yet uncompleted Sissy Sit, and I am wondering what differences I might hear between this when finished and the Sony Vfet pt1.

horses for courses

same Breed, but different size, thus different capabilities

though, on speakers for which 10W is plenty, differences should be on taste/preferences level, not quality

one thing more, besides power capability - Sissy is having less caps in signal chain ......... but Papa is lately not overly concerned about caps :clown:

Joined 2007
Paid Member
horses for courses

same Breed, but different size, thus different capabilities

though, on speakers for which 10W is plenty, differences should be on taste/preferences level, not quality

one thing more, besides power capability - Sissy is having less caps in signal chain ......... but Papa is lately not overly concerned about caps :clown:

I suppose the amp to suit me best would deliver acoustic music with
the most convincing 'being there' sensation. As far as I understand this is helped along by having the fewest possible circuit elements in the amplification path. My speakers (Ref 3a De Capo) have no crossovers; just a cap to the tweeters. They are probably sensitive enough for 10W

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If the AC coupling capacitor which drives the Edcor transformer primary really REALLY bothers you, you could actively push-pull both ends of the primary with an H-bridge circuit. When you carefully balance both halves of the bridge, and use very low offset voltage opamps, you ought to be able to get a final circuit that eliminates the coupling cap AND which applies zero millivolts of DC across the primary. You may be forced to employ SMD components to get the balance and the drive you need. They're newer.

If the AC coupling capacitor which drives the Edcor transformer primary really REALLY bothers you, you could actively push-pull both ends of the primary with an H-bridge circuit. When you carefully balance both halves of the bridge, and use very low offset voltage opamps, you ought to be able to get a final circuit that eliminates the coupling cap AND which applies zero millivolts of DC across the primary. You may be forced to employ SMD components to get the balance and the drive you need. They're newer.
or put a gapped iron...isen't a 300B ?

With all the discussion about Speaker matching and sensitivity and impedances, am I correct to assume that, if the ACA (5w in my case) is OK driving my 8ohm speakers (88db/W/m), that this AMP will be as OK or even a better match (twice as much power in theory)?

Or due to the AMPs specifics, it really REALLY needs more than 90db in order to properly work? Maybe damping factor is an issue, I don't know, sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for any insight,
Rafa.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With all the discussion about Speaker matching and sensitivity and impedances, am I correct to assume that, if the ACA (5w in my case) is OK driving my 8ohm speakers (88db/W/m), that this AMP will be as OK or even a better match (twice as much power in theory)?

The output impedance of teh ACA and the VFET are similar, power is similar, they should drive the same speakers similarily.

I happily used 5w ACA to drive 87dB loudspeakers for a long time.

As important as the efficiency is the impeance response.

dave

Joined 2018
Paid Member

Or due to the AMPs specifics, it really REALLY needs more than 90db in order to properly work? Maybe damping factor is an issue, I don't know, sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for any insight,
Rafa.

I've used an 8WPC SET with a pair of B&W 601 bookshelf speakers "rated at 88dB/1W/1m, impedance is said to be 8 Ohms nominal (4.3 Ohms minimum)". It worked, for the most part. But, the combo was not ideal. As soon as I started to crank to a moderately loud level, I could sense the amp being strained and not able to keep up. Bass, resolution, and soundstage seemed to suffer the most.

Switching to high-efficiency horns was like night and day with this SET amp. Obviously, each amp is different, and this was with tubes, so ymmv. If you're happy with your ACA, then I can't imagine any real issue with the VFET. But, it does seem like those with higher efficiency speakers may get the most out of this amp. Of course, there's the subjective matter... :)