Diy Record Cleaning Machine build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been purchasing old vinyl records and needed a more efficient way to clean them. I embarqued in the buildout of a cleaning machine emulating the VPI.

I used materials I had laying around in my garage. The only items I had to purchase was a used Ice cream maker from the goodwill store and the PVC plumbing parts for the vacuum wand. Using off the shelf PVC pars and a spring, I was able to replicate the spring loaded arm the way the VPI machines does it. The machine works quite nice.

I am now giving it the finishing touches. Exernal paint, wood trim on the top and a sealer to the inside chamber. Will post when complete.

I have lots of tools in my garage, so it was not to difficult to build.

Alfredo

Click here for Video and Pictures

Attachments

• diy record cleaning machine.jpg
    diy record cleaning machine.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 738
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I built one using some VPI replacement/upgrade parts a few years ago, and a repurposed low end pioneer (?) or similar TT, generally works well, but in my case the suction is a bit marginal. Works best when vacuumed very slowly. Mine is all manual..

Can't really see your picture - too dark, can you post another?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
WOW! That's really neat.

How much did the various stuff cost?

Also, the platter seems to be spinning a bit faster than most record cleaners - has that been any issue with keeping fluid on the record during cleaning? Does the vacuum remove all the fluid well? (I am guessing that there is no problems, just curious...)

Congratulations on a successful project complete!!

kevinkr said:
Can't really see your picture - too dark, can you post another?

He has a link above the thumbnail to a page full of good pictures -

http://picasaweb.google.com/alfredo...?authkey=Gv1sRgCJfv4d7G-vzpcA&feat=directlink

As to the cost:

ice cream making machine: $14
vacuum motor: already had from broken upright
Cabinet materials: already had pieces in my garage
PVC plumbing parts: less the $3
Velvet strips: from my wife's bin.
Switches: from my parts bin
Platter Bearing: parts bin
metal wheel with shaft: parts bin
Small fuel canister for water reservoir: $8
plastic discharge tubing: less than $1

Total: less than $26

Tools used: Drill Press, Miter Saw, Band Saw, Plung router, circle cutter, bits, nail gun, air compressor, hacksaw. These tools made it real easy to build. but these are not cheap. Leveraging resources :D

alfredo

Also, the platter seems to be spinning a bit faster than most record cleaners - has that been any issue with keeping fluid on the record during cleaning? Does the vacuum remove all the fluid well?

the platter spins at around 38 rpm. The fluid stays on the record fine, unless i over doit. The vacuum is very powerful, it removes all the fluid. I had to drill a 3/4 in port hole to lower the suction power and allow the motor to work easier.

Alfredo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.