diy projector from the Philippines

This is much better and well made movie than the first version.

Attachments

• outline5 010.jpg
    outline5 010.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 752
heya the Mazta!

i've seen your pics a dozen times already!

Anything new? Maybe you should borrow a good camera

I want to see how beautiful the liliput projected image is because here in the Philippines, a lot of guys wants to build a projector using the liliput.

Your work is now a model for alot of people because of small size and excellent image result.

hertz

Attachments

• outline5 042.jpg
    outline5 042.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 630
mines pretty basic mate, aces, is one you wanna look at, my camera is latest tech, just need to find right setting, i'm also standing about 10 feet away when i take it, trust me, its like having a plasma screen on the wall its that clear and bright, Lilliput 7" all the way mate, simple to strip with outstanding results, ace has got all the optics to go with it, and lets face it, unless you get quality optics, your lilli will be wasted,

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

HB,

I talked to you on your own forum some time ago.

I must say you have achieved a great deal from the 250w MH you are using.

The article on the output of the bulbs serves as a warning that 250 w does not mean that the UV output is going to be halved!!

Last time I spoke to you I was looking at getting started with my project and our discussions went a little off topic when we considered what our "Commanders in Chief " required!

I'm still no closer to getting started as I want to do a 17" model upright like yours. Can't get fresnells big enough and can't get the objective triplet big enough either!

Anyway, thanks again for the inspiration.

I first learned from Allan Staples site and the rest is mostly learned from this site.

You don't need to copy other people's plan if you know the basics or unless you have identical parts with your model and the supply voltage is the same with your area.

Attachments

• outline5 016.jpg
    outline5 016.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 857
Goemon,

I am focusing my attention now to light engine. I am not so knowledgeable about optics so i spent some time learning about it.

Not its time to focus my attention to where i can excell. That is about electricity.

I got three bulbs
1 - 250 hqi-ts/NDL
2 pcs - 250w Hqi-tsd

Its quite interesting to note that each bulb operates at different power input level and also different lumen intensity using the same ballast. The operating voltage across each lamp is also much different. For the tsd bulb, base from my test is operating at 80 and 85v respectively while the NDL operates at 103v at 220v supply voltage. Votage test is done after running the bulb for 1 hr. Current will become steady after about 2-3 mins at 3-3.25 amperes.

The osram hqi-tsd and hqits/NDL has a rated operating voltage of 100v and 3 amperes during operation.

So here where lies the big differences in the brightness output of the hqi-TSD and hqi-ndl. We may have the same bulb but we had different ballast.

If you have a variable voltage supply, you can test how brighter your bulb will become when you can correct the lamp power input ( voltage and current input).

i was surprised to learn from the above article that using a standard ballast whether electronic or magnetic is operating the 250w hqi double ended at 130v across instead of the rated 100v for the hqi double ended bulb.

I tried to overdrive the ballast also to reach 130v across and the projected image was so bright but this was for a few minutes as I heard the ballast creating too much vibration inside my case.

BTW, I am still using a ballast for mercury vapor lamp. I am scouting for electronic ballast instead of replecing it with standard ballst for hqi bulb.

Attachments

• outline5 014.jpg
    outline5 014.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 847
I was surprise after cleaning all my lenses using this piece of cloth. Very effective in removing fingerprints, dirts, oils etc. I thought i have brand new lenses after seeing the result. Images are so sharp and clean even only using dvd player output.

Attachments

• outline5 021.jpg
    outline5 021.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 670
i love that cloth. You know its very hard to clean the lcd when soiled with oil. I can now regularly clean it without scratching it.

Same too with my fresnel, i had my fresnel replaced before because of so many scratches. Scratches came from regular cleaning.

I wipe the fresnel grooves using the cloth hard and it turned out shiny and clean without scraching it.

For the ballast, i still will prefer the electronic ballast.
I noticed that with elctromagnetic ballast, full power of lamp is achieved between 30min to 1hr . by monitoring voltage across the lamp and input current, voltage will stabilize quite irregularly even using voltage regulator.

I also noticed lamp flicker during daylight scene or very bright scene. Its hot and heavy and consumes alot of power.

In australia line voltage is 220-240v right?

Please review the type of ballast. If you buy a cheaper electromagnetic ballast, you might end up with what they call a reactor ballast. This type of ballast( like the one i am using) is so much affected by line voltage. a 10% change in line voltage will yield a much higher change in lamp lumen output. Color temperature is also affected. Try to look for a constant wattage type.

When buying electronic ballast, be very careful. i had a comunication with a ballast manufacturer in China. They told me that they had to adjust the electronic ballast for each kind of lamp where it will be use otherwise you might get disappointed. They are requesting me to send 2 sample lamp of 250w hqi-tsd before they can sell to me an electronic ballast.

if you analyze the link article, you will know that for 250HQI double ended, electronic ballast has lesser lumen output than electromagnetic ballast because Electronic ballst is under powering the lamp.

I f you have the time to review about the ballast go to
http://www.advancetransformer.com
Its worth to spend time to learn how to have an efficient light because a lot of diyers i thought failed because of little understanding about ballast and how to maximize lamp output.

I

Attachments

• outline5 016.jpg
    outline5 016.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 634
HB,

Thanks for link. I have decided electronic is the way to go.

The only problem is now I have to find one matched to the right bulb.

Yes we re on 240v, but on 50 cycles a second.

I checked Phillips for our region only to find they do not distribute such sweet technology in this region!

The hunt for decent parts continues...

Regards,

G