DIY my turntable, completed, excellent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can use Audiotester, ARTA, and there are several more. Others can chime in. Google Audiotester V3.0. Audiotester isn't free but is pretty inexpensive. It is what I and several other members here use. Build a very simple soundcard protection circuit between your preamp and soundcard and you will be ready to test.

One idea I want to test for dampening material, is to use a mixture of castable silicone and lead shot. For rotating parts the mixture could be poured into the cavity while spinning rapidly enough to create centrifugal force. It would auto balance itself. Castable silicone can be purchased invarious hardnesses to allow some tuning.

You can use Audiotester, ARTA, and there are several more. Others can chime in. Google Audiotester V3.0. Audiotester isn't free but is pretty inexpensive. It is what I and several other members here use. Build a very simple soundcard protection circuit between your preamp and soundcard and you will be ready to test.

One idea I want to test for dampening material, is to use a mixture of castable silicone and lead shot. For rotating parts the mixture could be poured into the cavity while spinning rapidly enough to create centrifugal force. It would auto balance itself. Castable silicone can be purchased invarious hardnesses to allow some tuning.
Great idea, let me try....

As I said, I have other motor which is much bigger and heavier. It was taken from a old non-working R2R...speed is around 500rpm. I prepared the stainless steel housing box for both motors just in case I needed a spare.

When I first setup the small motor (1,500rpm) to run platter, I found that too small pulley could result a slip of belt passing. Because of that, platter turning tended to be slower than calculation and obviously not constant speed. I tried few times with different types of belt but the result was the same. I had to give up the use of small motor and change to the bigger, which had also bigger pulley. It's pitty because smaller motor looked nicer...:)

P1110507.JPG

IMG00297-20100504-0824.jpg

IMG00295-20100504-0823.jpg

DSC_0029.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.