DIY my turntable, completed, excellent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After some years buying, changing stuffs...I felt tired because some audio gears I like is really much over my budget and also some expensive ones I got did not deliver the right sound I expect. I started looking around at DIY forum and studied how people DIY. A lot of useful information found and people hard works inspired me very much then I decided to start to do my own.

First think came in mind was platter bearing. How to design and make a bearing that can bear a heavy load ( I decided to make very heavy turntable to mitigate the vibration factor which I think very much impact to sound quality) and spin freely by minimizing the side friction?. I see some people did the inverted bearing type and I did.

When I firstly completed the bearing, I found that the axe was not spinning well because of high friction to bearing housing despite of use of oil bath. I inserted a layer of thin brass bushing and it worked very well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Very, very nice indeed!!!
A little more detailed description would be nice , though....
Base and platter solid ? Looks like some kind of adjustment on the feet?
Etc.Etc. :D
Thank you. Appreciate much if other viewers of this topic take some times to share the idea and comments.

Platter is made by stainless steel SS304, machined to surface roughness 1, at my machining shop. Platter thickness is 70mm. I could not find that thick plate around at that time so I decided to weld 02 of 36mm plates together. It's really high craftsmanship of my welder when no one can realize that is two welded plates but just like a single one. Trust me, you can not see any lamination between two plates with normal eyes.

Nothing much to say with platter, all works were done by CNC lathe. Platter itself is 25kg weight. Hard to carry, so I have to drill two threaded holes along side in order to insert the lifter.

Last edited:
Hi all, I've completed my DIY turntable, resulted from many information from the forum. It works really great... see pics. I am ready to share if you are interested to know.

WOW beautiful turntable ................... :eek:

WOW beautiful turntable ................... :eek:
Thank you very much

I just put it on a table, look better :)

DSC00222.JPG

DSC00218.JPG

At first, I intended to build a solid block plinth but I had to give up this idea because it's too heavy to human carry :). I took a 8mm plate and rolled it to expected dimension on the roller. Get it welded and finally lathe machine did the rest. It's not complicated. Eventhough, the plinth is also very heavy and about 15kg.

Last edited:
Congratulations, that's beautiful design and incredible workmanship!!! Please keep the pictures coming!!
Thanks very much
woodturner-fran said:
Did you ever consider combining materials to cut resonance - eg adding lead shot to cavities in the platter or plinth?
Good questions, I am currently using soft lead in the hollow plinth to cut the resonance. If you know better material, please advice.
trusound said:
DAll I can say is wow and because of this I can't wait to build one myself
Let start :D

Let come to little more difficult part of my work. It's motor selection. I did decide to build belt driven motor at the beginning. It seemed impossible to find a new motor for audio in my country then I started to search for secondhand motor.

At first, I took out the motor of my Micro seiki MB411. It's small and working flawlessly. It's too old to find out its specification but using the speed measure tool, it's around 1,500rpm. Someones here talked about speed adjustment by changing the power frequency and I wanted to do the same. Anyway, it's more complicated than I thought (I am not electrical background but mechanical). Therefore, I use very traditional method to convert speed thru belt to platter by using pulley....of course, it's simple calculation.

A little more work to change the voltage from original 110v to 220v and prepare the switch for motor then I started to run.

P1110509.JPG

P1110510.JPG

Pulley design

Last edited:
The question is what is the resonance? As you said before all material resonates. What you do with them is the question.

Might I suggest you download an FFT program and look at the spectrum while you tap it. That may give you some insight if there is.

I meant to say this before but your build is absolutley stunning.

The question is what is the resonance? As you said before all material resonates. What you do with them is the question.

Might I suggest you download an FFT program and look at the spectrum while you tap it. That may give you some insight if there is.

I meant to say this before but your build is absolutley stunning.

Your question is exactly what I expect. I don't have much information about resonances and what I did is simple put in hollow plinth soft lead. I don't know how it called in english, damping???

What I have built is opened for modification and it's reason why I post it on forum to listen comments.

Can you explain more about this? Where to download FFT program??? Appreciate your sharing.t

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.