diy jobsite boom box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guerila the reason im using the plastic box is it will stack with all my other tool boxes and be easy to transport on and off the job site(im a carpenter) i will line trhe inside with sound deadening and it will have an internal 12mm mdf box inside.

thanks

adam
Cool. Maybe put sand between inner and outer box. Maybe some full range would sound better, but maybe not. The link to the iridiums doesnt tell the efficianzy. I guess it should nu more than 3 db as eficient as the sub if you use same amount of power for it

That's actually a coaxial speaker, so individual drivers for low and high frequencies, but something like that will do also.

You can search the forum for good fullrangers if you are interested, like Vifa, Tangband, Fountek, etc.

If that amp has same adjustments as the non-bluetooth version, you can cut low frequencies from main channels. That way you don't have to calculate the box for them that precisely if they only handle the higher notes.

And you can also adjust volume for main channel and subwoofer separately, so driver sensitivity isn't a concern.

This was displayed at the Iowa DIY get together in October. It was fun.

Attachments

• boom box.JPG
    boom box.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 169
Passive radiator works basically the same way as a reflex port. So if your enclosure will be ported, you can use it, but it obvivously costs more than a reflex port. Passive radiators are handy when you need to tune small box to low fs and can't fit a pipe into it.

Ah okay thanks guys for your responses, this will give me some ideas to ponder over Christmas and come up with a plan of what im going to use. hope to start building in new year amp is already on way over from america. think i will get the battery power ordered soon as its likely going to come from china.

thanks guys and merry Christmas to all.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This particular DIY boombox has always impressed me with the use of heat formed compound curves and flats on commercial PVC sewer pipe. Looks beautiful and I am sure built like a tank.

Speaker Project: The Pipe Project

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sorry for more offtopic, but nice job on those pipes! That is a really tricky field of science, that heat moulding I mean. From the first attachment you can see my first and last try :D

Decided to do it the old fashion way... cut a hole and insert a mounting plate. It ended up quite ok.

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_140252.jpg
    IMG_20181223_140252.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20181223_140307.jpg
    IMG_20181223_140307.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 86
I like the idea of that pipe. Certainly would simplify things just as guerila says won't stack with rest of my boxes as I have a mix of makita and festool tlocks which both clip to each other as the makita ones are the older style festool t locks made by tanos. Reason using is I have loads of the makita ones empty as I generally use the t locks for my tools.

Do not reinvent the wheel :)

Our friends at the Boominator page have solved this 1000 times already, found best speakers, amplifiers, batteries, configurations, with a TON of actually built and tested portable sound systems.
The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

No need to look or imagine anything else, hundreds of dedicated DIYers have tested every possibility ... including what you need.

Only difference is that instead of building a custom cabinet you will adapt one of their excellent projects (maybe Boominator Lite?) inside your very nicely built toolcase.

They come in all sizes:

1.jpg.ee3253fdfe9fbdcd06df6d2964a1985e.jpg

Only difference is that instead of building a custom cabinet you will adapt one of their excellent projects (maybe Boominator Lite?) inside your very nicely built toolcase.

this is the core; cabinet and accessories depend on you.

IMAG0912-1.jpg

DSC00095_zpsd44fec44.jpg

Adapt the basic idea to what you have.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.