DIY balanced phono stage

Any circuit that will work with an output transformer gets you a balanced out. Just make sure the transformer is suitable for the driving impedance and high enough quality to minimize the loss. Jensen, Cinemag and Sowter should offer suitable units with specification sheets that will help you pick the right one.

Yes, the cartridge is inherently differential as a source. Which doesn’t mean, however, that the subsequent active analog processing stages can’t be single-ended, with one end/phase of the differential input signal tied directly to signal ground. Which, it usually, but not necessarily is.

I appreciate the advice.

Over the years, I have acquired some balanced components. My DAC is balanced in and out,; and I recently ordered a BHK 250 from PS Audio. That leaves the preamp and phono system to consider.

I've got an ARC LS-3 which would have to be replaced (probably anothe ARC product). But that's going to have to wait a while. An off-the-self, balanced phono stage would not be useful until the preamp is repacled. But a DIY stage is somehting I could get involved with (and learn from) right away. The Pearl 3 looks good and seems to fit the bill. I notice that the DIY store is out of stock so I signed up for notification when it becomes available. In the meantime, If anyone know a current source, I would be grateful.

Again, thanks for the infromation
Warren

I’m still uncertain whether you actually require a differential circuit, or merely a balanced signal interface. A balanced interface is for the purpose of ground noise rejection, which mostly manifests as hum. Here’s a very interesting Jensen transformers app. note, which includes an explanation. Fig. 2.4, of Jensen’s AN003 app. note below, shows how ridiculously easy it is to add a true balanced signal output to an existing single-ended circuit without modifying that circuit at all. If you don’t require differential signal handling as well. The finished interface features sing-ended signal handling, but with a truly and fully balanced signal output interface.

IMG_1720.png

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I'm using below circuit for over 24 years with low output MC cartridge.
Actually, second stage with opa2134 i just built recently, before it was my iteration of balanced Zen preamp (but something broke after long service and it was quicker to throw 2xopamp temporarily). This is followed by 4 channel 24 position rotary switch and direct to fully balanced Amp.
Am not great Amp builder, but might be this diagram is of interest
IMG_20240403_182307.jpg

I am looking for a way to fit a Ortofon MC2000 into my system with only 0.015mv output.

Exaggerating a little about the output methinks. Still, 50uV is pretty low. It's either a transformer or something massively parallel at input like an LM394 unless you don't mind a bit of hiss.

A balanced circuit is not going to sort the noise issue in this particular case.

Hi, I have not got a noise issue. My MC set up is dead quiet even at 100% vol. My issue the vol output of the MC2000mkII,
Mine is the Mkii version, which has a higher (but still very low) output.
I understood that using balanced increased the gain. Yes I am using a SUT before my phono & for balanced I would need 2, which I have.

I have sent for two of these, which may be similar to Owen's circuit
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...der_detail.order_detail_item.4.607df19cDphh2M

Cheers