DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good practice should be saturation/clipping to +-FS in that case. An overflow to around zero, I would consider as a design flaw of the filter implementation.

This first became obvious with some early Phillips implementations. They had about a 3 dB peak near the top of the band in the digital filter and would seriously misbehave under the right conditions. I'm not sure what is happening here. The AKM I believe has been pretty thoroughly tested for this. The XMOS has some DSP capability and may be doing something.

Just to confirm your playback is "bit perfect"? Need to confirm Windows isn't helping mess things up.

I did. It happens as well with Decibel as with Audacity.
Moreover it does not happen with an other DAC.
In my case, Audacity does show weird results using WindowsDS at Lynx L22 or RTX6001 (downloadable Audacity doesn't support ASIO).
I don't see any issues with neither Lynx L22 nor RTX6001 (see attached result) - using ASIO in both cases.
Ulli

Attachments

• RTX6001_Audition30_ex-wav_0-0dB_20180407.jpg
    RTX6001_Audition30_ex-wav_0-0dB_20180407.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 441
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In my case, Audacity does show weird results using WindowsDS at Lynx L22 or RTX6001 (downloadable Audacity doesn't support ASIO).
I don't see any issues with neither Lynx L22 nor RTX6001 (see attached result) - using ASIO in both cases.
Ulli

I have made some recordings using Audacity and the RTX and was disappointed with the results. I do still need to do all of the updates. Sounds like I need to find some ASIO compatible software.

Ulli

I am not familiar with Windows, but on Mac I am sure that the -FS (="-1" = 0x8000, in 16-bit) get transmitted unaltered to the DAC. I found a problem with that with the early firmware of the Soekris DAC (there it is easy to monitor the "digital output" by choosing custom filters and measuring the "bits" on the resistor ladder).

By the way my provided example clip contains also two samples +FS (="(2^15-1)/2^15" = 0x7fff), according to the Audacity clipping search.
These cause no problem.

I am not familiar with Windows, but on Mac I am sure that the -FS (="-1" = 0x8000, in 16-bit) get transmitted unaltered to the DAC. I found a problem with that with the early firmware of the Soekris DAC (there it is easy to monitor the "digital output" by choosing custom filters and measuring the "bits" on the resistor ladder).

By the way my provided example clip contains also two samples +FS (="(2^15-1)/2^15" = 0x7fff), according to the Audacity clipping search.
These cause no problem.
What happens with a full scale square wave signal?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have made some recordings using Audacity and the RTX and was disappointed with the results. I do still need to do all of the updates. Sounds like I need to find some ASIO compatible software.

In reference to Jens Wasapi question I tried it yesterday and unfortunately in W10 with Audacity it doesn't work as expected. It always defaults to the system sample rate of 48kHz, but at least Audacity reports that. In direct streaming mode it reports the set sample rate but actually records in 16 bit 44kHz.

Several people who record frequently are telling me to ditch Audacity and either go to a real DAW that supports ASIO or ditch the PC altogether and go with a SD card recorder.

I'm going to experiment a bit further and am wondering if something like ASIO4ALL might be useful. Otherwise I will most likely go with a real DAW.

ditch Audacity, I used to recommend it all the time, but it has too many problems, mostly setup and usage ones like you are seeing. You could try Reaper, but it has its own set of oddities. 99% of the time I use Wavelab, but that is not a low cost approach, but having used it for decades, the upgrade cost is reasonable.

For remote recording, several of the SD card (ie Zoom or Sound Devices style) recorders are very useful. Pretty awesome to be able to slip your "studio" into your pocket.

still haven't seen the package here either, maybe today.

Cheers
Alan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looking at Reaper which is reasonably priced, but very complex and not at all intuitive. It has a very detailed manual and you need it! It does support ASIO and you can define sample rates and a whole bunch of other parameters for each project individually.

It doesn't work out of the box and there is a lot of configuration to be done, that said it does what is expected and works well even on slow computers like my Pavilion Convertible.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have used Reaper and its not that onerous to use until you are doing some complex tasks. I know it sees a lot of use on major projects and some Grammy winning projects as well. All the DAW's have steep learning curves. They are like major CAD systems.

On Windows 10 I usually go through and manually change all the sample rates to match. it usually works. I know other's have complained that Audacity limits to 16 bits and the sample rate stuff is a mess. I have used audacity to edit 24 bit files successfully. I'll try to record a 24 bit file using XP and Win 10 now that my RTX is back together. However i'll use an external generator into an SPDIF connection to check it.