Directivity and Perception of Dynamic Range Compression

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It depends on how one look at it.
For the same maximum SPL we need more dipole drivers (or huge baffles) compared to a single driver in a sealed enclosure. The most interesting factor in this comparison is IMO therefore the power needed to run the driver in the sealed enclosure to xmax. Using L26RO4Y as an example 600W is need at 30Hz in a 13l enclosure (Q=0,5). To reach the same maximum SPL with a dipole we need in the range of 2-4 dipole drivers depending on the baffle dimensions. L26RO4Y need 350W to reach xmax at 30Hz in an open baffle, close to half of the sealed one. Power needed to reach xmax should be considered peak power and not the mean power heating the voice coil.
Therefore, due to less power needed to drive it to xmax and the need for more drivers (to be equally loud) and hence more cooling area, power compression will be less in the dipole system.

If the question is regarding differences between a slim baffled single dipole driver and a single sealed enclosure driver then yes, the voice coil heating will be less on the sealed, but their capacity is not comparable.

To me comparing the requirements of four drivers to that of a single driver makes no sense. I completely miss the point.

To end the debate, I should rather have stated that the maximum power compression achievable in a sealed enclosure would normally be higher than for a dipole.

For me it is far more interesting to consider headroom and BL(x)/K(x) linearity for home audio bass systems. As long as the driver have a descent sized motor system I don't pay so much attention to power compression.

Last edited:
Not only was I not generalizing but what you said is incorrect. No studio compressor (that I know of) can emulate what a voice coil does when it runs out of the gap- the nonlinear compression. Attack and decay have nothing to do with this issue.

I have done extensive study of the thermal time constants in drivers, and yes studio compressors could emulate this to some extent. They are all over the map. In some drivers the time constants, and remember there are several - the voice coil copper being the shortest - can actually begin to approach the time constants of a low frequency signal, mostly tweeters, woofers almost never. This means that they could begin to track the signal and thus would actually be nonlinear.
r

I was only talking about thermal compression, not passing Xmax ( that's similar to limiting, bad limiting).

I'm not sure what the rest means. You say thermal compression time constants can aproach signal time constants. From which side, are they usually slower or faster. My guess is slower and so it effects the envelope like a compressor. Do you have any numbers for these time constants? And the only ones that matter are the voice coils cummalative ones. ( which include the magnet etc.)

I understand what your getting at but I think your use of linear/nonlinear is confusing. If I ride a fader very quickly to even out levels is this linear? I don't think so, not in the physics definition. Compression is the same thing. The Vo/Vi is constantly slewing, how can this be linear.

And the loudness wars have reduced the effects of thermal compression to almost non existent. The signal power of most modern music hardley changes, so either dose the voice coil temp.

Kind of shooting down my las post. Lol.

Last edited:
r

I was only talking about thermal compression, not passing Xmax ( that's similar to limiting, bad limiting).

I'm not sure what the rest means. You say thermal compression time constants can aproach signal time constants. From which side, are they usually slower or faster. My guess is slower and so it effects the envelope like a compressor. Do you have any numbers for these time constants? And the only ones that matter are the voice coils cummalative ones. ( which include the magnet etc.)

I understand what your getting at but I think your use of linear/nonlinear is confusing. If I ride a fader very quickly to even out levels is this linear? I don't think so, not in the physics definition. Compression is the same thing. The Vo/Vi is constantly slewing, how can this be linear.

Its all about how fast one changes the amplitude of the signal. If it happens in ms. then yes, its nonlinear, but you can't "gain ride" a fader that fast. Even electronic compressors tend to act much slower than this.

The thermal time constants in a driver are, of course, generally slower than the signal. A 100 Hz tone has a time constant of 1/100 sec. or 10 ms. Generally slower than this is too slow to be consider nonlinear. Faster than this and frequencies will be modified in a nonlinear manner, but it would need to be down to about 1 ms. to actually be nonlinear over a significant bandwidth.

The time constants for a typical 1" tweeter come in at about a few ms., compression drivers many times this, Woofers well above 10's of ms. to 100's depending on voice coil size, etc. The dominate factor is the volume of copper in the voice coil. The more copper the slower the dominate effect.

Actually doubling power for every 3db, take for example a B&C 8Pe21 in my horn it is 106 db with 2.8 volt at 3 feet. Put that same driver on a board and it's around 90 so 16db. The same SPL requires around 32 times the power for the same SPL. So instead of 64 watts to work at 120 db it takes a mere 2048 watts as a dipole (disregard x max LOL.) The same driver at the same SPL will be into thermal distress at 120 db in the dipole (2000 watts) where in a horn it's just breezing. I imagine it will take more than 2000 watts due to compression. Mybe it would catch fire? :) Distorted?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Its all about how fast one changes the amplitude of the signal.

The time constants for a typical 1" tweeter come in at about a few ms., compression drivers many times this, Woofers well above 10's of ms. to 100's depending on voice coil size, etc. The dominate factor is the volume of copper in the voice coil. The more copper the slower the dominate effect.

Hello,

Is this also true for the JBL M2 drivers? I replaced QUAD ESL 989 with them. The M2 seem very fast and high resolving powers. Little compression of any cause.... great dynamics. [using the recommended Crown iT5000HD amplifiers... bi-amp'ed]

THx-RNMarsh

I think a lot of textbook theorizing about dipoles is poorly applicable in the real world of modest sized listening rooms. So let's not get carried away with the textbook math about woofer power.

Ben

I mostly agree with this. The more I think about the power levels involved while listening and the visible excursion I tend to doubt my experience is based on thermally or mechanically induced compression of the driver. I'm still going to measure it to be sure. I've ordered a pair of UM18-22 that I may experiment with in a dipole configuration in the coming months. I'm pretty sure at my modest listening levels that driver compression won't be an issue with such drivers. Ultimately I'll probably throw them in a sealed box and call it a day:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more I think about the power levels involved while listening and the visible excursion I tend to doubt my experience is based on thermally or mechanically induced compression of the driver.
A good place for everybody to start is very very simple. Just watch your music on a real time analyzer, such as free REW.

You will see instantaneously how much oomph you have at each frequency in a beautiful display. Most folks will be surprised to find their favourite music that sounds like it has a lot of real deep bass is really just at 80 Hz and pitiful little below 40 and then briefly.

Even if you have a big collection of organ music (as I happen to have), very hard to find recordings with notes under 35 Hz.

As organ builders have known for centuries, your brain inserts fundamental tone if the partials are played. Yes, you hear it (except for golden-eared people who think they never hear or see illusions).

I can't speak for all the wonderful things that have ever been recorded, but for music without too much cooking in the studio, that's the story.

Ben

Last edited:
I mostly agree with this. The more I think about the power levels involved while listening and the visible excursion I tend to doubt my experience is based on thermally or mechanically induced compression of the driver. I'm still going to measure it to be sure. I've ordered a pair of UM18-22 that I may experiment with in a dipole configuration in the coming months. I'm pretty sure at my modest listening levels that driver compression won't be an issue with such drivers. Ultimately I'll probably throw them in a sealed box and call it a day:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I proposed as a plausible cause for your experience is also related to electro magnetism. The non-linearities are not necessarily limited to xmax, although drivers will normally tend to increase their non-linearities when the voice coil starts leaving the gap. There can be huge variations between manufacturers and model types both within and outside xmax, depending on motor principles, geometry, soft parts and tolerances in the assembly. Seas does show Klippel measurements for their L26ROY in their application note. Its performance is very descent within xmax (appr. 20% loss in BL at xmax).

If you are going to measure these non-linearities or their effects, you need a suitable measurements method. Standard measurement software does not have a method for this, at least not that I know of. Frequency response measurements at different SPL will not give you the answer. A method could may be to play a part of a record where you normally experience this harshness and read out the signal amplitude (scope) and compare/overlay this exact same sequence at different SPL. At least you may demonstrate the effects, if any, of non-linearities this way.

Last edited:
A lot of this chatter is loose, even mythological talk about compression.

Here's a very challenging article by Floyd Toole that may well hold the key to the sorts of hearing effects people are bandying about in comparing the imagined differences in "compression" between dipoles in rooms versus conventional speakers in rooms. Toole core topic is dispersion and how dispersion angle (and the timing of reflections) at different frequencies affects the sound. It is a critique of simple adherence to freq response and sims. This is real science, if you have the fortitude to read it through.

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20160909/17839.pdf

Ben

Joined 2008
Paid Member
A lot of this chatter is loose, even mythological talk about compression.

Here's a very challenging article by Floyd Toole that may well hold the key to the sorts of hearing effects people are bandying about in comparing the imagined differences in "compression" between dipoles in rooms versus conventional speakers in rooms. Toole core topic is dispersion and how dispersion angle (and the timing of reflections) at different frequencies affects the sound. It is a critique of simple adherence to freq response and sims. This is real science, if you have the fortitude to read it through.

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20160909/17839.pdf

Ben

Ben, thanks for sharing but the results are 404 file not found. This is also a way fro me to subscribe because this is one of the better threads I have read through. A lot of audio-myths have been dispelled, and that pleases me.

Ben, thanks for sharing but the results are 404 file not found. This is also a way fro me to subscribe because this is one of the better threads I have read through. A lot of audio-myths have been dispelled, and that pleases me.

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20160910/17839.pdf

Hope it works for everybody.

"Disruptive" and important message in this fine article is that room EQ is a faulty idea. Read it and see.

Very sorry. AES truly a mine-field or obstacle maze to getting their handful of free articles, like this one. Not nice of them but all academic publishers under the same profit-driven pressure.

Ben

Last edited:
I am a little confused Ben. Do you mean that capacity has no relevance? If however you do mean it have relevance, can you please define speaker/driver capacity and tell me what is the hearing threshold for 3'rd harmonic distortion. I appreciate a scientific answer to it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.