Dipoles - who has them here? thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: My B&G RD75 system with dipolar bass

KCHANG said:
Hi guys,

In view of the discussions here about RD75 and dipolar bass, I though someone might find my system interesting.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers,

Kurt

hmmnnn... how's the WAF with those... or is that why they're in the basement? ;)

It's a shame physics demands that bass dipoles be so BIG... at least if you don't want to apply gobs of eq.

I was thinking of converting the living room floor (25'x 25') into the mouth of a giant horn, using the crawl space for the actual horn taper... but the wife won't accept the idea... what's with that?

auplater

Waf?

What is "WAF"? Cannot not find it in my dictionary!
;)

Nevertheless, the WAF of this system is actually pretty high in terms of sound quality. My wife still considers it the best-sounding system I've built. As to the look, she is fine with the speakers as long as they never get out of the basement.

By the way, my B&G system started with two bass boxes each with two 8" woofers. I always had problem with the integration of the line-sources with the bass boxes. The woofers were just too small and placed too low. That was why I decided to build the stacked woofer arrays to match the height of the RD75 drivers.

Best,

Kurt

Re: Re: Re: Re: Integration between BG75 and tweeters

auplater said:

Hi Nigel...

The combing problem only occurred with the two dome tweeters firing forward... If I were running more than one fwd. firing, I'd space them much closer together and maybe cross them higher as well. The technics planar doesn't seem to lobe much with the single fwd. tweeter, perhaps because of its limited vertical dispersion.

here's the mid-woofer I used (4 of them)... had about the smoothest listed response over the range I wanted I could find for the price...

http://www.bmm-electronics.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=3347

I may add two more mid woofers per side to increase the power handling, as the BG's line source behavior does take hold in a room this large... the lower bass sometimes could use alittle more oomph! volume wise, but not speed wise... these mid woofs seem quite tight...

hope this helps...

John L
auplater

Thanks John. Any information is gratefully received and digested. I know the ideal method tends to not mix and match line and point sources so I am interested and encouraged in your results.

The image below might give you an idea of what I am thinking of - an RD-50 with a number of Neo3PDRs and the twin 8" Seas.

194534566_4075499bd4.jpg

Not too disimilar from some Genesis/Newform/Soundline designs. I like the idea of planar driver but am not so sure about the expense of maintaining a true line for the treble and the bass. Not to mention the sheer size.

This is the SEAS driver I am thinking of for the bass W22EX001E0022.pdf tho will require equalisation if used in a closed cabinet.

Nigel

Re: Waf?

KCHANG said:
What is "WAF"? Cannot not find it in my dictionary!
;)

Nevertheless, the WAF of this system is actually pretty high in terms of sound quality. My wife still considers it the best-sounding system I've built. As to the look, she is fine with the speakers as long as they never get out of the basement.

By the way, my B&G system started with two bass boxes each with two 8" woofers. I always had problem with the integration of the line-sources with the bass boxes. The woofers were just too small and placed too low. That was why I decided to build the stacked woofer arrays to match the height of the RD75 drivers.

Best,

Kurt

I guess I've been lucky or maybe it's room placement, but the woofer integration issue isn't a problem with my setup. Usually I have to either place my ear directly next to the woofers or physically feel the cones moving to make sure they're playing. Kinda weird, really... the whole speaker acts this way... can't tell which driver is playing w/o a really close listen.

The only problem I currently have is room modes below the dipole's cutoff; I'm thinking of either adding/building a second sub or using some form of room eq. to compensate.

auplater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.