Digitally controlled preamp/headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well you can use either SOIC or DIP on he same PCB now, so at least you have the option. Here are a couple things to keep in mind:

1) DIP is nice because you can use a socket and try out all sorts of opamps until you settle on what you like best.

2) DIP is a bit easier to solder.

3) SOIC is nice because you get less lead inductance and capacitace, and an all around better electrical connection to the PCB.

4) Also some newer opamp do not come DIP, only SOIC (AD8620).

Question on how to wire this up.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If i were to follow this guide, the red/blue and green/brown would go where?!

ones ground, the other is +
ones ground, the other is -

and once i've established which wire is which, which side do i put it in where it says [ac g ac ]? the left side or the right side prong to what polarity??
???

Lol, excuse my ignorance. I just want to be really sure when im dealing with power.
This should make it easier for myself to understand.

assuming i have the first part wired up like the pic above, which of these wires goes into which hole?
Red and brown are on the inside, and blue and green are on the outsides.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ugh, i fell like such a n00b. :p

Here are a couple of pics I posted previously about trafo wiring...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, for those with SOIC op-amps, I will post a pic of proper orientation in a few minutes...

tilt said:
i noticed that v1.1 has 6 less wima 100uf Caps. Does this change the sonic characteristics in any way?

c8, c10, c11, c12, c15, c16

Nope, in fact it seems to make the VREGS behave better. It was just a case of being extra cautious in V1.0 with extra caps around the VREGS and after testing everything finding tha it was better without those caps. Sometimes less is more. :)

maxw said:
Mine complete:

I used 2200uF FCs before the regs and two elna staget caps by the output buffer (had them spare). I plan to get a 2x single > double opamp converter to fit 2xOPA627s.....if it will fit.

Wow! Nice work Max! I like those big FCs. :D

Cheers!
Russ

I have several questions and figured that it may be better to post them here than email so that others can benefit from your responses. Responses are welcome from anyone, not just Brian and Russ.

I'm just now dipping my toes into the world of DIY audio and electronics. I've read a lot of stuff here and at Tangent about opamps, buffers, and such. I've read almost all of this thread, but admittedly some of it went over my head. I'm also planning on purchasing "The Art of Electronics." And, I have a brother that can help me (over the phone) in terms of the soldering and other diagnostics.

Okay... here are my questions:

1. MS-1, headphone amp, good fit?
I want to build a headphone amp for my Alessandro MS-1 (http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html) headphones (a Grado product). These are low impedence cans. Is the Kook a good fit for this application?

2. Comparison to Cmoy, Pimeta, Mint, PPA, Millet
In reading through the Tangentsoft web pages (http://tangentsoft.net/audio/), I see there are several different designs for headphone amps. How does the Kook compare with them? Where does it fit into this line up? In your opinion, might I be better going with one of those, or do you think the Kook is closer to what I'm looking for?

3. Cigar box, heat dissipation
I've been thinking about how I would house this amp. I've looked around at different enclosures and at other people's solutions to this. My favorite so far is the use of a cigar box, such as this: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155049
Would there be any problems with heat dissipation with such a solution?

4. Parts
Ideally, I would like to order the parts for this all at once. I am planning to order the transformer as well as the Kook kit from twistedpear. In addition, I will need:
-Fuse
-Fuse holder
-1/4 inch headphone jack
-RCA connectors
-Wire
-Cigar box
-A knob or pot...??
Is there anything that I'm forgetting? Those that completed this kit, could you please chime in as to what you got and how much it cost? Can you clarify what kind of pot is necessary? I found most of the stuff I need on digi-key and mouser... but not sure if I'm selecting the right parts.

5. DIP vs. SOIC, changing out opamps
In researching this stuff, I've been repeatedly hearing about the OPA627. I'd like to start with the standard 2227, and then maybe later try the upgrade. If I plan to do that, would I be better to get the DIP package rather than the SOIC? Can you simply unplug the 2227 and plug in the 627?

6. Power (battery vs. AC)
At first I want a home amp to be powered by AC. But, if all goes well, I was considering also building a portable one. Is the Kook amenable to that? Do you have any idea as to how fast would it eat through a set of batteries?

Okay... sorry for the overabundance of questions, but I've been mulling this over for quite some time and coming up with all my questions. Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm quite excited about this amp, not to mention the fun of building it.

Thanks!
jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.