Digitalized music causing stress??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Steve Eddy said:
I guess he found it more profitable to slap $2,000 pricetags on Chinese-made amplifiers that sell retail for $130. :)

se

exactly. had the Chinese charged him $1300 a piece, the amp would have sounded much much better, without all this digital fatique.

Afterall, those super cheap DVD players start to sing like Domingo if you just pay more for them.

:)

Quack, Quack.......not AFLAK.....

From the article's website:

After many years of research I have at last formulated a supplement combination called LIFE ENERGY PLUS™ which appears to alleviate many of the effects of PCM

So it's all to sell his amazing supplement.

He lists a NY address, however, two different searches show there is no John Diamond, MD, listed in South Salem, NY, probably because he is a chiropractor.

Further if you read his resume you get statements like this:

is a pioneering figure in alternative and holistic medicine....One of the foremost senior holistic healers

Hark, I hear a duck and it isn't from AFLAK......

-Bruce
(I think it's safe to throw the baby out with the bathwater on this one)

Just a note... a couple of years ago a woman sued Intel. She claimed that micro waves or radiation or something else from their microprocessors caused a serious impact on her health.... sorry, I havent't even read the thread... only the subject. :scratch1: :bigeyes:

But maybe heavily distorted music cause stress on long term basis?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Re: Intel gave me cancer!

SY said:
...sue my next door naighbor... he's beaming x-ray lasers at my windows to try to control my thoughts.

You have that problem too? My next door neighbor has been trying that for years!

But I've thwarted him. :smash: Thank God I found the website below-I don't know what I would do otherwise.
http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

Sy

Wow: ALEX CHIU'S IMMORTALITY DEVICE .. Maybe this is the cure for long term listening to CD's and even MPEG-2 video.
Of course there alway his theory on UFO's:eek:

Attachments

• uforot.gif
    uforot.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 245
Folks, I don't know what to say. I met Dr. Diamond at an AES convention. He is an interesting, 'new-age' guy. I read his book. I had him over to my place for a day or two. I also built some recording equipment for him.
This is what I know: Like many tweakers, Dr. Diamond is short on conventional 'proof' , but he makes sense to me. Dr Diamond is a psychologist, or something similar. His therapy has included listening to music. He did this for years. Unfortunately, when digital audio came out, he found that the positive effects of music therapy was lost. He investigated this problem and decided to give a talk about this at the AES. I was there, when he gave his paper. He almost caused a riot! It was great! Made my day.
After the sesson, Doug Sax, of Sheffield Records, and I went for a drink, to celebrate this talk.
When he came to both my lab and my home, he tested me with a number of things: For example, I then wore an analog watch, BUT I was found insensitive to wearing a digital watch. I WAS sensitive to a sugar cube dissolved in my mouth. IF I could have beat him in his testing, I would have. I don't like being fooled any more than anyone else.
However, my significant other, Karen Richardson, normally wore a digital watch, and she was found sensitive to it. We tried many things, including digital. It was very interesting. What did he get out of it? Nothing, but some interactive feedback by a reasonable skeptic. Does he have a tendency to exaggerate? Yes, but no more than many others in the audio world.
This is my take. At least I know the guy.

John,

as you might have seen me indicate in other threads, I am very
interested in the field of music and sound therapy and have myself
undertaken the Tomatis metod. That is why I was curios if your experiences
with this man was about the therapy methods or the analog/digital
issue. The oldest and most influential sound therapy method is
the Tomatis method, and the second most influential one, but perhaps
the biggest one in the US, is the Berard method, which originated
as an attempt to make a simpler and cheaper version of the Tomatis
method. AFAIK, the practioners of the Tomatis method has not
found any negative effects since they switched over to CDs, and
I presume the Berard people have also switched over to CD without
finding any ill effects. However, it is important to note, that in both
these cases it is not just plain music therapy, but the sound is
heavily filtered and processed in various ways tailored to each
individual. That could have an impact on the end result. I have
definitely not found any fatigue from the Tomatis method while
listening. To the contrary, I have never been so alert and fresh
in my brain as after those sessions. There is, for various reasons,
a serious shortage of scientific proof about these methods, but
some positive scientific studies have been done, and there are
quite a number of such studies ongoing for the moment
at various hospitals around the world. While I believe Tomatis
and Berard to be serious, there are many others who try to ride
along on this. Some are serious and may even have effective
methods, others are charlatans or serious but using failed
methods. I had never heard of Dr. Diamond before and since he referred to DBTs I was curious about him. I seriously doubt a
medical drug/supplement could be useful for what he claims,
however, if that is what he is actually selling.

jewilson said:

Does this Dr. Diamond believe that digitally recorded music played on CD’s have a worse psychological effect than analog-recorded music played on a CD. Maybe, some people or just more sensitive to phase and the time delay errors with digital.

My impression from the article was that it didn't matter, as soon
as you had used PCM, the sound was ruined, whether analog or
digital from ths start. I may hav got that wrong though. However,
he seems to accept DSD but not PCM. I think he referred to an
LP with the same work on both sides, one had gone through PCM
processing the other not, or something like that.

jewilson said:
John,

Does this Dr. Diamond believe that digitally recorded music played on CD’s have a worse psychological effect than analog-recorded music played on a CD. Maybe, some people or just more sensitive to phase and the time delay errors with digital.

:boggled:

I'm so sensitive to phase distortion I can hear the crossover, box, panel, room, and phase distortion of a given speaker before I even enter the room to hear it. I can tell you how good a speaker is going to sound by simply tapping the woofer, the box, etc. Trained to hear 'tails' or resonant struture in noise, etc. High temporal sensitivity. This goes along with looking at audio equipment in general.

This... because I have trained myself, over a long period of time in single cause analysis. I can't listen in a serious fashion...to anyone's gear but my own. DIY'ers are overall like that anyway, so it's not like it's something special.

The point is, that I can't listen to CD players. Unless I'm drunk out of my tree..even then they sound like painful crap. The temporal distortion in the media and system is just awful. Transients, and envvleops on harmonics are just plain all wrong. No one can buld a single piece of decent audio gear while using digital audio sources as tool for tuning said device.

Fixing the clock on digital hardware got rid of almost all my complaints.

Christer,

We all know that jitter is not a real part of music, so that issue should not be part of this thread. However, what kind of equipment does Diamond uses when listening to music and subjecting his clients to it.

When digital audio first came out it was worse than FM radio by a long shot. However, they were many reasons for that. Still the common 44.1Khz CD format suffers the low sample rate. You just can create a complex waveform from 2 or even 3 samples, maybe a bad looking sine wave. In addition, listen to symbol’s they still sound as much like breaking glass than as symbol’s. Therefore, what kind of phase and group delay to we have from all this digital processing and over sampling. Seem the psychoacoustic effect is worse for some.

So it this effect lessen on SACD it should be, that my guess.

jewilson said:

So it this effect lessen on SACD it should be, that my guess.

Yes, SACD is better than CD. Howver, it seems, at least in theory,
that PCM with more bits and higher sampling frequency like DVD-A
is superior to SACD for the higher frequencies. I haven't really
bothered to check up on those claims, but they sound reasonable,
so if that is the case Diamonds dismissal of PCM and acceptance
of SACD is somewhat flawed. I have, however, never heard any
DVD-A discs, so I have no experience with them. I have heard a
few hybrid SACDs and compared CD and SACD layers. In two caes
the SACD was clearly better. In the third case both sounded
terrible. That one was recorded using PCM and converted to DSD,
but I suspect it had more to do with DGs usually lousy microphone
technique and mixing obsession.

Maybe I'm breaking some rule that I am not aware of but.....

In my exact experience in this exact area:

Chase the clock. Jitter IS the issue. The probelm is temporal/sync in nature. Jitter specturm, or jitter bandwidth. Jitter is part of the reproiduction system so it is certianly part of the muisc. it cannot be seperated in this case or sense. As long as any part of the reproduction chain is digital in nature.... Jitter is definitely an issue.

All the clocks I've heard so far don't do a very good job..... so.. what to do?

If you had someone in the Montreal/Toronto corridor who's ears you trusted, then I could let him hear a good clock, then people would not think I was full of crap. But after that they would all be chasing me down for the clock and I would have to dismember it and shelf the idea. oh well. In the end I'd rather you think I was crazy. Life's simpler that way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.