• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Digital Turntable Tachometer and DDS based PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,

Will the Falcon and Roadrunner work with my Thorens TD160? I'm fairly certain it uses an AC synchronous motor, and there's a decent amount of clearance under both the sub-platter and platter, but not much clearance at the edges.
I have access to very small high grade (N48) neodymium magnets, do you have any advice if I were to replace the stock magnet for the tach with a smaller one, in an effort maintain the platter balance? I know I'm splitting hairs :) I'd probably be able to measure and match the polarity and field strength.

Thanks!

The Falcon will work with the TD160 as long as it is an AC synch motor of 5W or less.

The RoadRunner sensor requires ~ 0.25" of clearance.

The magnet that comes with the RoadRunner is quite small: 3/16"d x 1/16" thick. Just about any rare earth magnet will work. The sensor only responds to one polarity as you noted; it is easily verified by passing the magnet over the sensor and observing the left most dash on the RoadRunner display: it will illuminate when ever the sensor is triggered.

Digital Turntable Tachometer

We've received several responses from customers who purchased the RoadRunner tach where there were issues with the clearance between the magnet and sensor or between the magnet and a raised platform on the plinth. We were able to source a thinner magnet (1/32" vs 1/16") which should help with this. All future tachometers will ship with the thinner magnet.

Tachometer firmware modification

There still seems to be some push-back (mostly on other blogs) about having too much accuracy in a tachometer with 3 decimal places of resolution. There is a solder jumper on the PCB that will blank the 3rd decimal digit; it was done primarly to reduce the display "bobble" inherent in this type of device, but can be used to reduce the display accuracy as well. Apparently, there is a need to reduce the display further to prevent the stress of excess accuracy from detracting from the user's listening experience.

With the new firmware, you will be able to not only blank the 3rd decimal digit, but the 1st and 2nd one as well. Hopefully, this will satisfy even the most accuracy averse listeners out there. If not, you could always use duct tape to blank the remaining digits. We hope these new developments will satisfy the needs of everyone in the audio community.

Last edited:
I think all vpi motors are designed to work with the VPI SDS so your roadrunner set-up should work fine since you use it with a VPI motor, albeit a belt drive, the rim drive actually has a belt that connect the motor to the belt drive system for example:

image.php

VPI SDS Synchronous Drive System Speed Control Device

Dead-On Accurate Speed for Perfect Timing and the Lowest Possible Wow and Flutter

VPI's Synchronous Drive System (SDS) combines a turntable motor speed controller and an AC line isolator into a convenient and compact package. The SDS breaks new ground in clean accurate power delivery using advanced digital technology and quartz crystal accuracy.
Simply plug your VPI turntable into the SDS and hear the improvement a proper motor drive will create; solid and deeper bass, smoother midrange, sweeter highs, lower noise floor and deeper imaging. The SDS allows for proper calibration of platter speed, ensuring that not only does your VPI table spin at a constant speed, after calibration it will also spin at the correct speed! The SDS allows for individual speed corrections for LPs and 45s, in increments as small as 0.01Hz. The ability of the SDS to make such fine corrections, allows the user to truly "dial-in" the performance of his VPI table, regardless of model.
The SDS allows for the adjustment of both the voltage and frequency fed to the turntable motor. Adjustments are easily made from the front panel using intuitive, soft-touch controls. The selected output voltage and frequency are shown using large, easy to read LED displays. The SDS slowly ramps thevoltage and frequency up or down to the selected value in order to prevent premature motor wear due to abrupt changes. During motor startup, the SDS increases its output voltage in order to bring the platter up to speed quickly. Once the desired platter speed has been reached, the SDS ramps the output voltage down in order to reduce motor vibration and, therefore, the system's noise floor.
The circuit used in the SDS provides an incredibly accurate line frequency of great stability. Additionally, the electronic circuitry effectively isolates the output voltage from the input voltage, doing away with voltage spikes, low level fluctuations, RFI, and frequency variations.
Instead of merely filtering the power line, the SDS first converts it to pure DC voltage and then digitally regenerates its own clean AC signal. This approach is superior to that used in many of the other power line conditioners on the market.
The SDS is designed to work with the AC synchronous motors in VPI turntables. The speed of a synchronous motor is determined by the frequency it is fed. Logically, a device whose speed is based on the AC line frequency will function better when a stable consistent frequency is delivered. Constant motor speed translates into a quieter, more faithful musical presentation.
COLLECTORS ALERT: Many historical recordings were not transferred onto modern records at the proper speed. Using the SDS, you can now correct the musical pitch of these recordings by varying the speed of your turntable. In addition, collectors who have VPI turntables that run at 78 RPM will be able to accurately adjust them to compensate for the wide variation in recording speed used in the 78 RPM era. Specifications:
WHD: 19x3x12

I'm looking into the possibility of sourcing a 5W 300 RPM motor that would be a drop in replacement for the VPI supplied 7.5W motor. We have been getting a number of requests to use the Falcon PSU with the higher power motors, but it is not something we recommend. Is this something the VPI owners would be interested in?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I would like one. Using mine with the 300 VPI motor, and the Falcon does get warm. Don't forget you need a different pulley diameter for the slower motor. With a controller for changing speeds though, we might could use a simpler, less fiddly pulley.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.