Diamond Buffer variations

Thats a good idea that I can support, but when it comes to the "analog gurus" I'm not sure who you actually are talking about, I think that you have to name them.

I just said analog gurus for lack of a better words ;) Just some experienced analog designer(s) or similar. My own knowledge and experience in the field of electronics is very limited. I also don't know who is behind the forum accounts most of the time, the number of familiar faces and names keeps growing but half of the time I have no clue who I am talking to.

I just noticed there now exists a wikipedia article about diamond buffers. It was created in June of this year by someone who apparently put quite some work into it.

What I had in mind was something similar but much more detailed in some aspects, with the focus on topologies that can actually be implemented with readily available discrete semiconductors. Of course the individual parts would be kept rather short, no super deep dives, no explanations of really basic stuff. It should be assumed that the reader has basic knowledge and the ability to read up on some stuff. The interesting part would obviously be simulations and potential measurements. I thought that we could maybe agree on a set of exemplary use cases with adequate specifications, test signals/loads and boundary conditions, as well as a selection of commonly available transistors and models to be used for the comparative analysis. Quite a few interesting parts sadly have gone EOL recently or are in the process of going EOL...

Last edited:
Zarathustra.gif

Diamond follower output

Attachments

• XF-0DB.jpg
    XF-0DB.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Wilson current mirror Buffer.png
    Wilson current mirror Buffer.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 331
  • CAST AMP.gif
    CAST AMP.gif
    99.2 KB · Views: 316
  • CJLGF.gif
    CJLGF.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 305
  • OPA551PA.jpg
    OPA551PA.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Diamond follower output stage 350.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Diamond follower output stage PM-11S3 .pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 189
Diamond Buffer with CFP

Attachments

• Diamond Buffer with CFP A.png
    Diamond Buffer with CFP A.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Diamond Buffer with CFP B.png
    Diamond Buffer with CFP B.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 291
  • Diamond Buffer with CFP C.png
    Diamond Buffer with CFP C.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 275
  • Diamond Buffer with CFP D.jpg
    Diamond Buffer with CFP D.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Diamond Buffer with CFP F.PNG
    Diamond Buffer with CFP F.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 249
  • Diamond Buffer with CFP G.GIF
    Diamond Buffer with CFP G.GIF
    23.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Diamond Buffer with CFP H.PNG
    Diamond Buffer with CFP H.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Open-loop buffer schematic.gif
    Open-loop buffer schematic.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 253
  • BPM A.png
    BPM A.png
    42 KB · Views: 256
  • BPM B.png
    BPM B.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 257
  • CGW-DTJL.jpg
    CGW-DTJL.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 264
  • DLFK A.jpg
    DLFK A.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 290
Audio research SD135 / Audio research D240

Attachments

• audio-research_sd135_amplifier_sch-1.jpg
    audio-research_sd135_amplifier_sch-1.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 242
  • audio-research_d240_amplifier-2.jpg
    audio-research_d240_amplifier-2.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 250
  • 08-38-21-index.jpg
    08-38-21-index.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 08-37-38-20170719_203743478_iOS.jpg
    08-37-38-20170719_203743478_iOS.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 242
  • audio-research_d240_amplifier.pdf
    259.1 KB · Views: 192
  • audio-research_sd135_amplifier_sch.pdf
    189.9 KB · Views: 156

It's been a long time since i last saw Roman's favourite amp. Perhaps no longer favourite. Looked uncompromising to me at at the time, but not so sure about that today. With the fake bipolar output supply and the really basic supply for the tubez. What, not even a choke?

And a quote from Charly Hansen seems appropriate, seeing the weird biasing arrangement here:

"What is different about the diamond buffer from a typical output stage is that after the signal has been split into two halves to send to each output device, is that the two half signals are rejoined at ONE single point. There is NOTHING in between these two half signals. A conventional output stage always has something in between the two inputs of the two half-output stages before they are recombined. Typically it is a bias circuit of some sort that sets the idling current in the output devices. but there is always something there."