Diamante -a discrete medium power opamp

mymindinside said:
i thought all was well but i was only testing with high efficiency iems (altec lansing im616), when i plugged in regular headphones the sound distorted as the volume was turned up, i measured the dc offset, and it is 5mv up to a point, and if i increase the volume beyond that it increases to +-50mv and changes with the music.....right now my chain is like this ipod line out->cmoy ( with 10k pot at its input, inside the diamante case) ->diamante ->headphones...
this is a bit frustrating because it sounds nice on the iems but i cant turn up the volume beyond a certain point, or use any other headphones...
taking this in context of what nelsonvandal has said, what is the solution?
also, what are other people using to control the volume?is anyone just using a simple pot at the input? what are your results?
thanks guys,
mymindinside
DC-offset is just DC and shouldn't be measured while playing music because music is AC.

What's the supply voltage?

back again,
nelsonvandal,im using 2 9volt batteries in series for each channel,
anyway i removed the cmoy, and now i just have a 10k pot at the input of the diamante...
i think my offset trimpot was bad because i was reading <5mv offset but hearing distortion....i turned the trimpot, the offset went high and then after a few more turns went back down to <5mv, this time without distortion...
managed to get both channels distortion free,
im measuring 20mv across the emitter resistors..and the amp sounds good to me at this level of bias.
if i turn the volume all the way up, to uncomfortable levels then i hear distortion, again probably clipping, i might reduce the gain a little, right now the amp has a gain of 3.5
thanks for all the help guys...
mymindinside
p.s. if im using seperate batteries for the left and right channels, do i need to connect the power grounds (the middle pin in the 3pin connector on the pcb) of the 2 channels together?

Work still in progress... :D

I'm encountering balance result trouble after puting my Diamante in the enclosure.

What is connected to the box :
- 2 x RCA plugs - Isolated
- IEC socket EU standard 3 pins - Ground pin connected to chassis
- Alps Rk27 10K log - Not isolated
- 6.5mm Jack Socket - Not isolated
- PSU & Diamante PCB screwed with spacers - Isolated with PCB

Facts
Left channel down when the Jack is socketed to the chassis.
Inverting L/R RCA inputs gives the same result.
Both channels are Ok when the Jack is not in contact with the box.
When the Jack is in contact with the chassis/box, one channel goes down.

Your suggestions are welcome... newbie inside :(
Thanks !

Optional but needed
1° - More Output Power
I'm using a HD-650 ans I need more output power.
Which R values to increase ?

2° - Volume
Power seems to be delivered at the end of the 10K pot curse.
In this area, the sound/music seems to be more "complete".
I mean that whole details can't be eared at low volume.
Will this lack be reduced by increasing output power ?

Facts Left channel down when the Jack is socketed to the chassis. Inverting L/R RCA inputs gives the same result. Both channels are Ok when the Jack is not in contact with the box. When the Jack is in contact with the chassis/box, one channel goes down.

Isolate the jack from the case. Not quite sure why a channel is going down, but in the best scenario this is a huge potential ground loop.

Thank to all of you for your kind support ! :)

When the jack is isolated (out of the case) the sound is Ok.
The problem is when the jack is screwed on the front panel.
One chanel goes down and is mute, the volume on the other chanel is very low...

Thank's Aparatusonitus for the tip, I'll give a look at the wiring.
I think you've found the trouble...

Thank you Russ for the Gain.
The formula is : G = (RF / RG) +1
I've used standards values as show by Mr Majestic.
I've to check the values.

I'll try your recommandations on Tuesday and let you know about it !
Cheers !

avr300 said:
MrMajestic

Are there any pcb's leftover ?

No, I'm still waiting for both prototype builders to give thumbs up to the board. Of course there is always the possibility of ordering more outside a group buy, but it will cost more. The protypes were €15 euro each. I might be up for getting two more boards myself though to make up a balanced Diamante.