Devastor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would definitely go with the 21 inch Devastator design.

The mid bass peak will make room interaction and cross over much easier as I have conclusively shown in my ROAR, HROAR and other threads.

The mid bass peak will to some extent compensate the room gain profile in many "normal" indoor listening rooms. Band pass boxes tends to sound very bottom heavy and lacking punch and attack if they are designed for flat FR outdoors.

A long throw, low Bl and high(ish) Qts driver in a bass reflex or closed box will never be able to reproduce music with the emotional impact and effortless organic abundant power of a high Bl, low Qts driver in a high efficiency enclosure (horn, band pass, tapped horn etc). A theoretical flat FR in an anechoic chamber is very far from flat in a normal listening room. I can't understand why a simulated flat response in a purely hypothetical listening space is something to strive for. I have never listened to loudspeakers i a perfect anechoic chamber, and the day that I get te chance I will make sure to bring my cheap MiniDSP2X4HD so that I can EQ the FR of the loudspeakers to my liking in that rather unique environment.

Once you drop the old pre-universal-DSP dogma of "flat FR without DSP" then you will find that there is a lot more available performance to be had from designs like the Devastator (and ROAR/HROAR).

Very well put...My question is about this
mid bass peak will make room interaction and cross over much easier

I have a midbass peak in my Sealed Push Push Slot Loaded design.....I intend to crossover before that range but are you suggesting that the peak there is usable territory? I assumed that it would ring? I've also reads that you shouldn't want to have to eq within the crossbands? How true that is, I don't know.

Last edited:
1)I have a midbass peak in my Sealed Push Push Slot Loaded design.....I intend to crossover before that range but are you suggesting that the peak there is usable territory?
2) I assumed that it would ring?
3) I've also reads that you shouldn't want to have to eq within the crossbands? How true that is, I don't know.
1) The "mid bass peak" in the Devastator design and Circloman's ROAR, HROAR design and other "small mouth" horns is a 6-12dB rise in response from the cabinet's low corner frequency upwards to 100-150 Hz, the rise covering as much as a three octave range.
Your SPPSL slot peak is probably limited to 1/3 to 2/3 octave in width and could be centered as high as 300 Hz, depending on its volume and depth.
Either response can be usable, they simply require different equalization filters to correct.
2)Using a filter to flatten the peak will eliminate any "ringing" effect.
3) Not sure what you mean by "crossbands" but there is nothing in general wrong with correcting a driver's frequency response in or out of it's passband, though very narrow band peaks may be problematic.

Attachments

• ROAR:PPSL.png
    ROAR:PPSL.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.