Desktop Transmission Line

OK to make things more concrete, here's an example of a very common "labyrinth" cab to which may be added (drawn in yellow) TLonken partition boards, inserted through the driver hole then flipped & rotated into position to create a 1.2m-line. Posted earlier here https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-options-recommendations.388862/#post-7086344

1666195856569.png

My first diy design HeilEve 7L 1m-line TLonken or is it just a TL? Cardboard version was easy, but the real thing had to be glued and clamped one-board-at-a-time inside the cab, then shifted into place and secured, due to the inner box-frame restricting ingress. The thin-walled $15/pr original cab sounded awful both sealed (no bass) and BR'ed (resonant), but the TL boards also served as very effective bracing.

1666196037797.png
1666196553199.png
1666196586686.png
1666196622170.png

Bigger and better 10L 1.3m-line TLonken "remodelling-in-place" of a cab design from a company called AIRS, done in oak for $60/pr. One side was done quickly using cardboard which could be "forced", then the other side was done "with dexterity" using hard ply, all through the driver hole. This cab now houses a Hifi-bird 5.5" with notch filter.

1666196831094.png

Shown here together https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ns-recommendations.388862/page-2#post-7087076

1666197088540.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
wchang,

I also live in Beijing and bought a pair of CNC labyrinth boxes off taobao for my desktop. I'm running Markaudio CHN50s in them and have been pleasantly surprised. They've been great for ear-level near field listening
Wow small world! I'm in Zhongguancun. Share a picture of your labyrinth?

Here's my (in Chinese) hifidiy.net thread/blog http://bbs.hifidiy.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1456003 (now running 20 pages).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies, I've made a slight change in plan and decided on some small Markaudio CHN40 drivers in small enclosure. I'm undecided on making it sealed or with a top facing port. They are both the same size so was going to make it sealed and add the port if needed. What version would you recommend.

Attachments

• CHN40-sealed.png
    CHN40-sealed.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 131
  • CHN40-top-firing-vented.png
    CHN40-top-firing-vented.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 131
There is also "Picolino3" + one more for 5F/8422T01 (TRANSMISSIONLINE FUR DEN SCHREIBTISCH) and for anyone whom speaks German language the issue "Ausgabe 5/2018" of "HOBBY HiFi" has some more designs for bigger 2-ways /3-ways enclosures. For me it is extremely difficult to understand the articles. I have to scan the pages with OCR program and after that to use "translate.google".

Elias

I know the OP has a solution implemented, but no one mentioned a folded TABAQ as a possible desktop TL design.
Yes, the speakers I've made have been a success that has ignited an interest in something larger as a project. Not looking to replace my PMCs but the process is fun. Only problem is choosing the next project, with so many designs and specs quoted but not much on sound delivery or tonal balance.

Assuming the LF is reasonably matched to the driver output in the intended operating location & amplifier output impedance, then tonal balance is ultimately defined by the overall on & off-axis frequency response trend, so you can assess from that.

'Sound delivery' doesn't mean much out of context unfortunately, as it could encompass quite a few things ;) so this is where starting to take a closer look at the hard data and how it relates to what you as an individual are hearing can start to pay dividends. Alas -it tends to come with experience & there's no real substitute for that, although the broader characteristics are fairly universal.

Thanks for the reply, final sound of a speaker is hard to guaranty at the design stage. I've listened to two speakers which were similar size and layout but completely different character, a lot of DIY speakers are made but not much said about their sound once complete. It's interesting that most TL designs are made for bass performance, where PMC use transmission line designed speakers for mid-range performance. I'm interested in building something different next time but would like to know some of the flavour of the end result. I've listened and owned many HIFI brand speakers over the years and like a brighter delivery and can't stand bloated bass. Any suggestions were going to keep with full range driver of 3 or 4 inches, perhaps a giraffe tower.

Last edited by a moderator: