Designing an OB with high WAF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wrote "imo" :)
previous shape was good enough\beautiful. this isn't.
this is like first (not 5th)year work. unconvinced mix of triangle\semiround\strips..
your teachers 5years told you that I can not write in English for 5 minutes:D..

+ relatively thin plexy driver's board may vibrate..

I wrote "imo" :)
previous shape was good enough\beautiful. this isn't.
this is like first (not 5th)year work. unconvinced mix of triangle\semiround\strips..
your teachers 5years told you that I can not write in English for 5 minutes:D..

+ relatively thin plexy driver's board may vibrate..
Yeah but you opinion matters :D
I get your point with the shapes and stuff and i agree! Back to the drawingboard:rolleyes:

good luck! :)

you'll can draw less if you decide what drivers will be used ;)

interesting game with shapes\materials for boxes(or ob). I would have played.. :rolleyes:
but my system is flushwallmounted and will (when be finished) be like wall (either simply white or m.b. wooden panels) :p. exept drivers, of course.

Last edited:
Plywood is widely accepted - so no problem.
Fiberglass, Kevlar depends on shape (thickness !) - IMO no good for flat panels like here (better with deep curved shapes like horns)
Corian I have no experience with. After a short research on the web it seems to be a blend of Acryl and mineral filler. So I think the good / sonic neutral dampening properties of Acryl are preserved and from that it will be a pretty good material to work with. Bang for the buck (including workmanship and finish) you have to check yourself.

Michael

Re: materials
Im thinking about either fiberglass and kevlar, plywood, or corian. I have no idea about how corian is in terms or resonans tho, but the material itself is pretty awsome and would work well with the look i want to achieve. i have worked alot with fiberglass before, some with corian, and i know ppl who is awsome at plywood, so fabrication is not an issue:)

Last edited:
Plywood is widely accepted - so no problem.
Fiberglass, Kevlar depends on shape (thickness !) - IMO no good for flat panels like here (better with deep curved shapes like horns)
Corian I have no experience with. After a short research on the web it seems to be a blend of Acryl and mineral filler. So I think the good / sonic neutral dampening properties of Acryl are preserved and from that it will be a pretty good material to work with. Bang for the buck (including workmanship and finish) you have to check yourself.

Michael
Corian has a very nice look and feel to it, very exclusve "touch" to it. Thx for the feedback.
Alo been looking at concrete, some of the stuff looks realy awsome!

bench13_3.jpg

Iv done a few more sketches, peronaly i like the "round" one best of those. Maybe push in some DVD/Bluray shelves under it:D

Attachments

• spkr5.JPG
    spkr5.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 235
  • spkr6.JPG
    spkr6.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Alo been looking at concrete, some of the stuff looks realy awsome!

I'm no fan of concrete in audio, actually.
It *should* push resonance frequency down due to its sher mass - but - dampening is very poor and you get quite some ringing at pretty high frequencies you would not expect.
The making also isn't fun and its pretty brittle and thus very fragile in the end, not to mention the problems with finish.

Ever lived in a concrete house ? - you can listen your stereo playing 1st floor in the cellar with no problem (selective frequencies at least)...

"Quasi" concrete materials (resin bound) may be different - haven't tried...

Michael

:cool: it's not first year design
... but it is purely ornamental. In no way is the form following the function. This happens all the time, when designers don`t really understand the working principles of the products they are "designing". They degenerate to pure stylists.

I wish Zepticon would first put more effort into better understanding "what" he is designing than "how" to design it. :(

Rudolf

In no way is the form following the function. This happens all the time, when designers don`t really understand the working principles of the products they are "designing". They degenerate to pure stylists.

I wish Zepticon would first put more effort into better understanding "what" he is designing than "how" to design it. :(

By this, you mean that i should focus more on getting a good speaker, than getting a good looking speaker? Thus an OB speaker, needs to be with a large baffle to accommodate the lower wavelengths?

Unfortunatley, i dont have the time, and resources to experiment with this, like i feel i should to do it the best way. As i have read, alot of the design process is going on in the workshop, both with the speaker placement, size and with the crossovers.

But, i appreciate your feedback. It gives me a new perspective to look from.:)

Zepticon,
sorry that I could not give you an answer in time. I was away from the Internet for some days.

If someone is going to design a car, he/she should know why a car has four wheels. There are a lot of aspiring automotive design students who actually can`t explain why 3 or 5 wheels (usually) are worse than 4. They only know that 4 wheels is what they should aim for.

Same for OB speakers. If you don't know what makes the difference between a closed box, a closed box without a back and a clean open baffle, you don't have the freedom to really find new solutions. You can only "design" "old clothes with new garments". That's what I would call styling.

Surely you don't actually have to design an acoustically perfect speaker - you are not the engineer. But you should be able to avoid design propositions that prevent good engineering.

Rudolf

I would like tot hank you alot for this comment as it realy made me think a second time about what im doing and how.

It made me change the viewpoint from "how does a waf speaker look?" to "what does a women want from a stereo?".

The answer i came up with was: A stereosystem offer little or no function to a woman. Most women is ee today are using either a Tivoli or similar radio, or an MP3 player, not because they dont like stereos, but because the Tivoli is what they need. They wana listen to music on the bathroom and in the kitchen, while doing other stuff.

So, the lesson learned for this is to do as you say Rudolf, what am i exactly designing?

So what did i end up with? Well, when i shifted focus from form to function, i could think in other direction. So i have explored the possibilities to make a home entertainment system who is both portable enough for the wife, and fun enough for the audio and tech nerd:)

So alot of thanks to everyone for the help and input i got! it really helped me to get my head going where it should.

Here is the final result:) Would you hang it on your livingroom wall?:D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Great Job ! Really :eek: Personally , I like the last picture : a portable tweeter !!! Also the cambridge/audiolab style of the amplifier is not bad (those heatsinks need to be rounded , now they do harm ! )
Zepticon ,you're too zealous in understanding waf principles :hypno2: You're simplifying too much in what are their needs / expectations .
I liked more the OB way ! A little more intriguing than a simple box ..thus you've experienced the difficulty of implementation of a simple basic idea ..:warped:

Zepticon,

I am glad that I could by of help. :) I don't know how high "audio mobility" is on womens preference list, but at least your approach opens a new usability proposal and is not another "me too" race for the same piece of the cake.

The integration of the handle is very clever. Doesn't even look like one. But it will be a task to show, how women can pull that handle out without the danger of breaking some fingernail. For most women this danger would be an immediate show stopper for sure. ;)

You have found a nice solution for the loudspeaker grill on-off option. Too often loudspeakers without a grill show that something is missing. Or the mounted grill looks like an afterthought. In your design both variants really give the impression to be the "real" thing. I like that.

Don't forget to offer a variation of grill cloth colors. Believe it or not - when my wife and I looked for a stereo radio for our new kitchen, we went home with a Philips set which could offer grills in the same color as our kitchen fronts. We happily paid a 20 % price premium compared to the next contender.

A last proposal which may sound like a real bad joke - but I mean it: Think about a provision for some cover plate, behind which a flower pot can be hidden. Leaves and blossoms of any plant will merge beautifully with the silver metal theme of the speakers. It is the pot which most probably will kill the aesthetic harmony. Since you will not be able to keep a woman from putting a flower on the speaker - help her to find a good compromise.

Rudolf

Hi=)
I am a hi-fi interested design student with an assignement to make a OB dipolar speaker system with high WAF. IM at my 5th year now, and im gona write my master thesis after christmas. I have been looking around the net for inspiration, and i keep coming back to the Jamo R 907, as one of the reference speakers when it comes to OB design and aesthetics. The only problem with the Jamo is that its expensive. My target area is the $2000-$4000 range.

You should be able to build a pair of Jamo's for about $1500 to $2000.
They play down to 30Hz from memory (could be wrong though)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.