Denon DVD2900 tweaks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OPA627's replacing OPA275's

Unless your system is on the bright side, I wouldn't recommend the opa2132/34 family. Save your pennies and replace the 2 op275's with 4 opa627's and don't look back.

Mrdon:

How do the 627's compare in this output buffer position to other opamps(specify) you've tried?

Also, the power supply rails in the 2900 are +/- 9v; however, the recommended voltage for the OPA627 is higher; isn't this a problem? see:
http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

are class-A "pulldown" resistors different values for the different OPAMPS you've tried?

Thanks,
-chas

O.K.

Got OPA627's and using Brown Dog adapters replaced stock OP275's.

Greater clarity, detail and microdynamics; however, after only a few hours break-in the sound is somewhat bright and more forward in the midband than OP275.

I'll wait until after a few days' break-in to judge the final effect.

-chas

The OPA627's have been run-in for a few days and sound much nicer now. Soundstage is wider than before, and there is additional image "height"! I am hearing a more "engaging" sound from my system and can finally appreciate the additional resolution of my DVD-A's (AIX, Classic). Piano has better attack/decay and violin and horns have more natural "bite" and overtones. The SACD's sound nicer too. My toes are tapping! I do find the mids to be a tad bit more forward than I prefer, as my speakers are quite flat through the midband and treble.

Have you tried Audio Consulting AD825? What is the sound like? Thanks.

Not yet; However, I'm going to try the similar AD826 . I will report back once these are "run-in" for a while, and compare the sound with the OPA627's. I've heard these have a more laid-back midrange, which may better suit my speakers.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Good news- I FINALLY got a working pair of replacement OP627's to fit to my line stage & finally have the parts to finish tweaking my dream system this year.
I just want to thank my friends here who sent me emails of support (and agree: I didn't want to " get into the middle of a p1$$1ng match " on the forum if I could avoid it either).
Thanks to Don and Mark for reporting here on these great-sounding op amps in the first place. These and the AD826's Matt sent me beat the OP275 and OP2134 amps by mile. I'm still deciding on which I prefer, as I really like the AD826's and they're reasonably priced.
Tweak posts should restart afresh and Moderator: I promise to post strictly about DIY audio matters in the future, and I hope others will too.
And thanks especially to Danny who kindly sent me said opamps; They are the real thing and arrived properly packed
(see pic). I am truly grateful!

It's a comfort to know there are other gentlemen here who are pleasant and stay focused on the REAL purpose of this forum: helping to better sound!

In this spirit of Holiday giving I'm willing to GIVE AWAY my extra mod parts that I won't be needing to any of you gentle members (Cont'l U.S. please) who are interested. Just Email me for a list of what items I have available.

Merry Christmas/ Happy New Year and God bless all!
(yes, even the Grinch ).

-chas

Attachments

• a627.jpg
    a627.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 738
Free Stuff!

Here's the list of items:
8 Pin DIP opamps:
*JRC4556AD...(2pcs)
*AD846AN.....(2pcs)
*AD827JN.....(2PCS)
*AD711JN.....(2PCS)
*AD712JN.....(2PCS)
*NE5534AP....(2PCS)
*NE530N..... (2PCS)
*OPA2132P... (2PCS)
*OPA627BCHINA(2PCS)

8-lead TO-99 Can:
*LH0002CH Buffer (2PCS)

Capacitors:
*Elna SilmicII 2.2uf/50v(2pcs)
*Elna SilmicII 220uf/16v(2pcs)
*NipponChemcon220uf/16v (1pc)
*PanasonicHF 330uf/25v (2pcs)
*TRANSCAP PS .01/50V (4PCS)
*WIMA FKP1 3900/1000V (2PCS)
*WIMA FKP1 .01/630V (3PCS)

Other Items:
*Gold-plated RCA Socket(4pcs)
*Gold 8pin DIP Headers (4pcs)
*Single-Dual 8pin DIP adptr PCB's,China(2pcs)
(As-Is: one has solder bridge as received)

Just email me re: which item you want (you may
reimburse me the actual postage later if you choose).
(Again, offering within Continental US only please)

Happy New Year!
-chas

p.s. First-responses/first gets!

Giving away extra parts

Right, Donovan and JT. Hope you enjoy using those parts.
There are still a few items left, FREE to good home(s):
8 Pin DIP opamps:
*AD846AN(sngl).....(2pcs)
*NE530N(sngl)..... (2PCS)
8-lead TO-99 Can:
*LH0002CH Buffer (2PCS)
Capacitors:
*TRANSCAP Radial/
PolyStyrene .01/50V (4PCS)
Other Items:
*Gold 8pin DIP Headers (4pcs)

Anyone want 'em (for just the price of postage)? Email me.

Happy New Year! (and good modding)
-chas

Hi all,

Not meaning to thread jack, but I have a quick one that someone on this thread may be able to help me with.

I've misplaced my Denon DVD2900 manual and was wondering what the standby power consumption of the unit is?

I could find out the old-fashioned way (hash up a power cable and use a multimeter), but was hoping I could be lazy on this one ;)

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.