dead time question

Thanks for the help and advice here.

I had the idea of multilevel because of the easy way to get hoger frequencies or lower frequencion
for the fets making switching more clean.

Yehh oke, Gan did coming to our attention, switch clean, very clean, so low deadtime, nice open loop
amplifier. Feedback in class d do **** up fase respons, removing details if not done right.

The cascaded version I also did try, no capacitor but more voltages for each mosfet bridge. However
is is floating and I did not get it right except witj mosfet drivers who are insolated, but maybe a proper
way of supply the driver ic do work. Cascaded did quite oke.

I do use the fase shifted pwm as mentioned in the paper, it give a natural balance in the capacitors.

Hi Newvirus.

I have play some with your attachment from Karsten, I had a mail contakt in past with this author because of feedback
circuit he did had on paper.

I see three coils are needed, and I need a feedback from three outputs, I did use a adder for this with resistors three times bigger
to low pass.

I did try the K facktor in LTspice, idea was one ferrite core with three parallel windings on it so I have to use just one coil, it did
simulate fine, If I have sim oke but real live not, I need for 5 level 4 coils, because I do use high frequenties these coils are small.

As you say, yes this circuit is much more stable, and more easy to control. But it needs 4 low pas coils for 5 level, and flying cap just one,
seen the low cost of the coils and maybe to use two separate windinds (or three) on one core will proberly work. Feedback is more
challenging because of the three or more outputs, I use resistor adder who works fine..

see pics.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 92.jpg
    ScreenHunter 92.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 16
  • ScreenHunter 96.jpg
    ScreenHunter 96.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 18
  • ScreenHunter 94.jpg
    ScreenHunter 94.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 14
I did try the K facktor in LTspice, idea was one ferrite core with three parallel windings on it...
That's a 3-phase common-mode coil, you need three separate ones ..

But it needs 4 low pas coils for 5 level, and flying cap just one ..
Sure, but did you check how many MOSFETs, gate drivers and capacitors the 5-level flycap inverter needs ?
It was class D with a second order integrator no postfeedback.
Of course, not all class-D is PFFB.

Oke, all with all, the version with three bridges and coils I go try. I need indeed less electronic parts.

Because I am quite high in switching frequency I need not such big coils.

• Calculation of the Unity Gain Point. The amplifier is a "natural" sampling Amplifier. Sampling Theorem applies.

Specify nyquist distance : DNyquist := 3.25 unity gain FT/FL,

For the question about coil with K factor, yes it is a common mode coil, needed by the way for self oscillating three level.
because common mode voltage is higher, I do not now if this is here the case when in bridge,

Then mine question arise, how do I use the pré feedback, because I have three outputs who are fase shifted and then added. I have use a low pass for every output and added this to one signal with resistors. Using with a second orde integrator it did quite nice, (no postfeedback yet).

regards

You need separate chokes on separate cores, if I understand correctly. CM choke only gives a small leakage inductance between its windings (that are usually tightly coupled) and this small value is often not enough to suppress circulating currents between legs. These currents would worsen the efficiency and EMI performance of the amplifier.

I need indeed less electronic parts.

Because I am quite high in switching frequency I need not such big coils.
In EE, we generally take what we can have as we cannot always get all what we need.

The rest of what you've written (unity-gain point, Nyquist distance etc. ) I do not understand.

Hi

I have a lot of stuff here, so coils are not a problem, can even use air coils if inductance is low.

NYguist is the unity gain point, need to calculate that because of design of feedback. the low pass
is bound with this. I do now people here use other means to calculate the low pass -3 dB point.

when a 5 level do switch, the frequency is multiplied, so with 250 khz mosfet switching I get 1.25 Mhz.

There is a big bug in the new LTspice.

When used it for some time, it does not start simulating anymore, I can tick the button until I do
weight a ton, it just do nothing. and then crash. The scrolling is very bad, ald very slow.

Only restart do let it work again. I have a glitch also every 10 mseconds.

I had this al time already but did not mention it yet.

Here I have test the 5 level.

the phase shift do let multiply the frequentie on output, and suppress the triangle frequenties.

I have now other challences to do, and not much time to set up all.

I have almost ready the pcb cnc, when that is ready I go work on it. I had done a board for
testing, but that is a normal half self oscillating version to design feedback.

This moment I have make ready the greenhouse. I do sim sometimes to
relax and rust again. I do now I have to build some day things I have simulated.

Attachments

• DSCN5768[1].JPG
    DSCN5768[1].JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi

I have did some sims with the idea from the paper you did send me from Karsten Neilsen's paper on Parallel PSCPWM.

I did have a uge common mode voltages and see the pulse on the speaker with the differential mode low pass.

Calculating the coils is different because these are paralell, so double the inductance.

The only way to tackle this is using common mode low pass as this is normal used for BD systems.

on pic,s you see it. If I use only prepost feedback I get also common mode voltage problem with this low pass.

So did a design for the feedback using Pi, and that did remove the common mode voltage.

Multilevel flycap has not this problem also by the way.

Oke as seen in plots, using a single ended version from nielse is a way, however generating 60 degree triangles
meet a problem, 90 degree is not a problem. Maybe I can use a johhson counter, set to 12 x output signal frequencion,
dividing signals can be very accurate.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 108.jpg
    ScreenHunter 108.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 1
  • ScreenHunter 111.jpg
    ScreenHunter 111.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 0
Here is the single ended 5 level, input 500 khz, output is 2 Mhz.

Becaause of it is single ended, I have not common mode trouble. Signal is so much cleaner.

Looks like btl for multilevel is not that good, except with some extra electronics and coils.

pic 1 btl, pic 2 single ended. you see noise level is quite higher in btl.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 2
Common mode voltage, voltages between neutral, I am not shure I am confused with differential
voltages by the way..

On pic you see clearly this problem, with a common mode filter it is still present.
This problem is always present with BD pwm if there are differences in time and fase.

I did test again a postfeedback, fully differential input did removes the common mode completely.

See pic,s, where I use fast sim with perfect parts did lower the common mode significantly
with more precise delays. BD are prone to this, feedback can help.

When measuring the current over the speaker, then signal is very clean, but seeing pulses on
éach speaker terminal I do not like, these common mode voltages do give EMI through cables
possible do nothing with soundquality itselfs.

exciting stuff.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 113.jpg
    ScreenHunter 113.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 1
  • ScreenHunter 114.jpg
    ScreenHunter 114.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ScreenHunter 115.jpg
    ScreenHunter 115.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 1
Welll, because I am not that calculate guru, I have seen that the common mode, or differential error was caused by
using a single input with btl BD stages. This problem is not present with a normal btl bridge.

I did need to set the triangle fases a other way for let this work, and that causes the differential error as a strange voltage
voltager on the output see the multilevel pulses there.

I did now use two feedback circuits and change the triangle signals such that the fases do cancel out the error.

THat means 0-180 degree for the left half bridge and 90-270 degree for the other half. When I use a single input an
common mode filter is needed.. and the fases are 0-90 for left half bridge and 180-270 for the other, audio is input
and do the 90 degree when it is inverted on one side, let it work fine.