DATS v3 questions

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just gave myself a little gift for xmass.
Can anyone help me interpret some curves?
Basically just checking at first. Yes, i read some dayton brochures.

Here after hookup, i measured small aura fullrange, then four loose tweeters.

20231202_121235.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Next is small planar, foster supertweeter. Great extension to 40kHz with uniform of axis. Used it a lot, as part of three speaker systems now. Its only supertweeter, i cross it very high, 10kHz.
As expected for planar, flat impedance, 8 ohm, with just tiny bumps between 2-5 kHz.

20231202_121414.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The experiment was to show how the voice coil inductance can be tamed. The B&C DE-120 has quite a rising Impedance, as well as a rising response curve. Here are plots of the tweeter in a circuit. White is no parallel capacitor, Blue is with a 2.2uf parallel capacitor.

SMAHL with and without 2.2uf.jpg

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My original question about those two tiny dome tweeters remain unanswered. Why is one showing nice Fs resonance, other does not.

I did not ask why its is rising afterwards, i know that. I asked why is impedance rising in planar, since it has no standard voice coil. Its aluminium foil etched on mylar membrane. It should be flat. But the rise is tiny, and i believe hivi shows it too, so no issue.

Was about to post impedances of small bookshelfs, but there seems to be no interest in dats.

Last edited:
Possibly the tweeter with no discernible Fs peak has a generous amount of ferrofluid damping, that can flatten an impedance peak. I've never seen one quite that flat, however. There is a tiny rise around 4K Hz.

The planar drivers still have some inductance, most every conductor does. This may be causing an impedance rise at the high end.

Adason, I am pretty sure the planar tweeters still have inductance, larger for the larger HiVi. True ribbons have vanishingly small inductance without a transformer, but the multi-turn planar have considerably more due to the longer coil and presence of the steel grid holding the magnets. why the little dome has no peak is a mystery. Maybe the ferrofluid is partially dried out so it is extremely damped?