Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

The hub which I need to connect to has only an optical input, but not coax.
ant!, here's a completely different approach which you may wish to try - your Q Active hub can act as a DLNA endpoint, so instead of connecting a direct audio signal to the hub (digital or otherwise) you can stream from Daphile to the hub. Daphile is not natively DLNA-compliant, so install and configure Daphile's UpNP/DLNA Bridge plugin. There's presently discussion over on the ASR forum about how to do this -
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...stream-music-from-daphile-into-kef-lsx.30035/

Use the contact form at the bottom of the Daphile page to email your request to Kimmo.
https://www.daphile.com/

Thanks, I've put a request in

I did some digging on the musicbrainz integration, it looks like gracenote (and freedb) use a discID calculated from the cd details to provide a strong one to one match, this isn't a mandatory field on musicbrainz so its likely CDs that daphile can't find are in musicbrainz however there isn't a direct match

I tried ripping this album in daphile last night and no match, yet is in musicbrainz - with no discID populated and 3 options for the 16 track album it can't return the tags

https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/bbf0d104-5965-44bf-81d2-d163612086a2
my specific version is the UK one (no discID)

https://musicbrainz.org/release/500a8d75-36c3-4a94-9845-ca464b1d85a2
I suspect @DRONE7 if you have a look in music brainz for some of the CDs you couldn't get the tags for in daphile they will be present in musicbrainz

@skrstic

Your computer may have developed a hardware problem... You are not describing the particularities of the computer you are using so, as a general approach, check whether:
  • the inside of your computer is clean
  • the air access in and out of the computer is not obstructed
  • the CPU heatsink is firmly attached to the CPU and/or the thermal paste has not dried up
  • the computer is placed on a flat and hard surface

Did it happen out-of-the-blue i.e. Daphile OS has been working fine previously or did the CPU fan start to run continuously after a new OS install/modification or after a hardware change?

Consider re-installing a fresh Daphile image and test for a few good hours...

Hello to all,
I state that I am new to the forum and I have recently been using Daphile with great satisfaction.
I would like your opinion. It happened to me that using the software volume I had a loud noise on the speakers, which if they were not 400 watt Jbls would have broken. Has this ever happened to anyone on the forum? If so, what can it be due to?
Thank you in advance.

Vincenzo, Italy

You are quite 'tight' with the details regarding the issue, the computer and the steps you've gone through for investigating the permanent high CPU fan activity. Maybe you ought to consider re-installing a fresh Daphile image and take it from there...
Hello,
I have installed Daphile on the internal hard disk of a Fujitsu Futro S700.
Could the problem be with the computer?

Vincenzo

ant!, here's a completely different approach which you may wish to try - your Q Active hub can act as a DLNA endpoint
Sorry, I had missed your answer. Thanks, I will try this out. Actually, I had weeks ago quickly and very roughly tried it already, using foobar2000 from a laptop as a control, which was a bit clumsy but worked. So I guess what I have to find is a nice Android app to control DLNA playback from Daphile to the speakers, ideally similar like SqueezeCtrl or Tidal/Spotify. Somehow in foobar2000 it was weirdly sorted, and I want a nice way to filter and search and play complete albums or single songs. I am sure it is out there. I will check the link!

Beside DLNA: I tried the different settings to get the noise and cracks go away when using the optical output of the MAudio Transit USB, but I didn't manage. I had high values both in the output buffer and the ALSA buffers, it didn't help. Any idea?

Otherwise: Yes, I will try more DLNA. The last option would be either a different/better USB-Soundcard with optical output, a COAX-to-optical converter, or Raspberry Pi with an optical-output soundcard (Hifiberry Digi or similar, or using hdmi...).

ant!, here's a completely different approach which you may wish to try - your Q Active hub can act as a DLNA endpoint
Tried right now the two different approaches mentioned in your link: Using the "UPnP/DLNA Media Interface" plugin made Daphile visible to BubbleUPnP, but when I tried to play only silence came out, have to try this again.
Using the "UPnP/DNLA Bridge" plugin to control via SqueezeCtrl and send to the UPnP speaker worked, but functions like pausing playback didn't, I had to do this in the very simple Q Acoustics app (the remote control of the speakers would have probably worked as well).
Not 100% happy with this solution yet, but maybe I can still tweak this. Currently the easiest is still using the analog output of the PC, but since it get's digitized afterwards again, I want to avoid this. So let's see, if this all doesn't work as nicely as I want, I will need to buy something (I mentioned aboved my different options) to use the optical input...

Using the "UPnP/DLNA Media Interface" plugin made Daphile visible to BubbleUPnP, but when I tried to play only silence came out
Using the "UPnP/DNLA Bridge" plugin to control via SqueezeCtrl and send to the UPnP speaker worked, but functions like pausing playback didn't
Yes, Daphile's LMS application is adapting its processes to DLNA mode, so bugs like this are no surprise, unfortunately.
But I think it's worth persisting with DLNA - simply because that's what your Q Active system natively supports. I can suggest two alternative solutions:

1. since Daphile's DLNA plugins are not doing the job, instead install a true DLNA application on your FIT-PC2 box. My favourite DLNA server app is minidlna. You could install this in your Linux OS of choice ... or you could even install this in Daphile, as long as you are using a beta version of Daphile.

2. completely replace your FIT-PC2 box with another piece of hardware which has a DLNA server ready to go. NAS boxes, particularly those from Synology, meet this description.

This makes sense. Since I use Daphile also as LMS for other players, I might try to get minidlna installed on the same PC, I am using anyways the beta. I like the control apps for LMS though, but maybe this is just a matter of getting used to it.

Getting a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry Digi as player would have another advantage: Someone managed to install Tidal Connect to HifiberryOS, currently I use Tidal through Chromecast on the Q Acoustics speakers. On other RPs I use Picoreplayer, but which OS is used for squeezelite doesn't matter in the end...

Since I use Daphile also as LMS for other players, I might try to get minidlna installed on the same PC
If you wish to proceed with that idea, here's a good link for installing minidlna on Gentoo -
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MiniDLNA
It might be necessary to first prepare the Portage package installer -
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage

Getting a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry Digi as player would have another advantage: Someone managed to install Tidal Connect to HifiberryOS
You already have Tidal compatibility with your Q Active hub, via Google Cast, so I don't see that Tidal Connect will offer anything better than what you already have.

I like the control apps for LMS though, but maybe this is just a matter of getting used to it.
Yeah, DLNA controller apps are not great, but BubbleUPnP is OK. If you eventually find that you really prefer to use the Daphile interface or a squeeze control interface, then yes, a Raspberry Pi/HiFiBerry Digi/piCorePlayer may be your best solution.

You already have Tidal compatibility with your Q Active hub, via Google Cast, so I don't see that Tidal Connect will offer anything better than what you already have.
Tidal Connect has a few advantages over Chromecast, but none are actually super critical for me:
  • Gapless playback: This is the most interesting, but I don't listen that often to classical music or live albums or other albums where it would make a difference.
  • Control playback from non-Google linked devices: On my Android phone it works fine, but from the laptop's Tidal app I can't control Chromecast. It might work in the browser version when using Chrome, but I prefer Firefox. Again, most of the time the phone is fine.
  • MQA playback: I don't care, and not sure how/if the speaker would be able to handle this.
So, I agree: Not a crazy difference and not a reason alone to set up a RP, at least for me. On my other players I use Tidal through Daphile.

Thanks for the links regarding minidlna, I'll check them out!

Anyone have an idea how to remove the lock from Musictoo? This is an additional internal SSD.
Daphile shot.JPG
Daphile shot2.JPG