Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Again a situation where direct access to shell would help a lot - setting ssh with keys is simple. Shell access would solve all this troubleshooting - NFS perms, CIFS connection, various DACs, etc.

Maybe the developer still reads this thread. The last production version was released in September 2017 if I understand his version naming convention.

boot Daphile from SSD

Hi, everyone
I'm a guy from Hong Kong, not good in English, but I like Daphile very much.
I have try to boot Daphile from usb flash and SSD, and find SSD is much better.
Anyone have the same experience?
Another question, how can I set for better sound quality. Thanks you very much

Hi, everyone
I'm a guy from Hong Kong, not good in English, but I like Daphile very much.
I have try to boot Daphile from usb flash and SSD, and find SSD is much better.
Anyone have the same experience?
Another question, how can I set for better sound quality. Thanks you very much

Depending on the cpu power of your PC and the capabilities of your DAC try DSD upsampling, the higher the better. It's not to everyone's taste but it does provide a richer sound with better extension.

Last edited:
Depending on the cpu power of your PC and the capabilities of your DAC try DSD upsampling, the higher the better. It's not to everyone's taste but it does provide a richer sound with better extension.
How does upsamling get any more information from a digital signal that isn't there to start with? I had a CD player which had an upsample switch. It sounded strained and artificial.

Try it!! I definitely notice a difference, even going from dsd256 to dsd512. This works especially on delta sigma dacs like the sabre. The sabre dacs upsample to DSD internally using their inbuilt algorithms. The PC based algorithms (eg. HQPlayer and SoX) are supposedly better than that used by Sabre since they can get access to considerably more processing power.

The upsampling uses Linux extrapolation routines to fill in the gaps between the sampling intervals. It's not linear. The result is a much smoother signal leading to an improved (changed) analogue output. The CD upsampling you mention will be proprietary to your CD player and probably only PCM. For example, Cambridge Audio upsamples 16/44.1 to 384/32. See ATF upsampling | Cambridge Audio.

Note I don't want to start yet another upsampling discussion. Rather than doubting it just give it a go. Unlike Foobar and HQPlayer, DSD upsampling in Daphile is a piece of cake. It's also very easy to reset it back to PCM. Make sure you check the CPU usage on the info tab. Ideally this should not exceed 50% (note for a 4 thread CPU this would be 2, for a 8 thread it is 4). The CPU usage will vary according to the intensity of the music. When doing DSD I also apply the CLANS filters. I think a lot of people attribute a degraded sound using DSD to the DSD upsampling rather than the limitations of their system! My i7 7700 typically runs 6 when doing DSD512.

Note also when you relaunch Daphile make sure it has finished the library processing before you start 'listening' to the output. I have noticed the most recent beta releases are more sensitive to other background processing.

For further improvements trying running from RAM. Again I notice some improvements but the initial load takes too long for it to be useful on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Thank you all,
I bought a mini PC 2 mths ago to try DSD with my 9038 DAC. It sound different when I boot Daphile with a 120G SSD getting power supply direct on mother board compared with individual power supply. So I bought a LPS for the PC and use a metal case (aluminium) to hold the SSD outside the PC, am I going to the right direction? or any others subjection to let Daphile sound better?

The upsampling uses Linux extrapolation routines to fill in the gaps between the sampling intervals. It's not linear.
It definitely shouldn't be linear - not even cheap DACs use linear interpolation. Even the output of the normal reconstruction/interpolation filter of a DAC is perfectly smooth. You can't change information theory - you can't create information from nothing.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Try it!! I definitely notice a difference, even going from dsd256 to dsd512. This works especially on delta sigma dacs like the sabre. The sabre dacs upsample to DSD internally using their inbuilt algorithms. The PC based algorithms (eg. HQPlayer and SoX) are supposedly better than that used by Sabre since they can get access to considerably more processing power.

The upsampling uses Linux extrapolation routines to fill in the gaps between the sampling intervals. It's not linear. The result is a much smoother signal leading to an improved (changed) analogue output. The CD upsampling you mention will be proprietary to your CD player and probably only PCM. For example, Cambridge Audio upsamples 16/44.1 to 384/32. See ATF upsampling | Cambridge Audio.

Note I don't want to start yet another upsampling discussion. Rather than doubting it just give it a go. Unlike Foobar and HQPlayer, DSD upsampling in Daphile is a piece of cake. It's also very easy to reset it back to PCM. Make sure you check the CPU usage on the info tab. Ideally this should not exceed 50% (note for a 4 thread CPU this would be 2, for a 8 thread it is 4). The CPU usage will vary according to the intensity of the music. When doing DSD I also apply the CLANS filters. I think a lot of people attribute a degraded sound using DSD to the DSD upsampling rather than the limitations of their system! My i7 7700 typically runs 6 when doing DSD512.

Note also when you relaunch Daphile make sure it has finished the library processing before you start 'listening' to the output. I have noticed the most recent beta releases are more sensitive to other background processing.

For further improvements trying running from RAM. Again I notice some improvements but the initial load takes too long for it to be useful on a daily basis.

What's the exact model of i7 7700 are you using and what's the RAM?

Is it better to have the music via the Lan, why not direct from the PC or Use drive

Because I have to store it somewhere - I use a 6TB disk. I use foobar on 3 PCs, a Logitech boombox, several Android phones, and a second Daphile box. Daphile is my main go to listening device. I have not noticed much difference, other than disk noise, if the sound is sourced from an internal SATA disk drive, external USB drive or across the network.

Last edited:
Because I have to store it somewhere - I use a 6TB disk. I use foobar on 3 PCs, a Logitech boombox, several Android phones, and a second Daphile box. Daphile is my main go to listening device. I have not noticed much difference, other than disk noise, if the sound is sourced from an internal SATA disk drive, external USB drive or across the network.

I did found they are different when I compare with HDD and SSD