Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I've read the wiki page and everything i can get my hands on. I'm not using windows. I'm using ubuntu (linux), which in theory should be easy to do since daphile is Linux too. As for storage settings, I think I've exhausted all permutations of user, ip address, password, folders, etc.. I just get the :forbiddn: sign at the far right.

Some examples from yesterday. Today I tried another 10 or so.
Since you use Ubuntu on your fileserver did you enable CIFS on it? (I don't know if CIFS is installed by default on Ubuntu). Check if cifs-utils are installed. If not you should do so (apt-get install cifs-utils) and then "export" your file locations you want to see remotely. (It's been a while since I did this myself so I can't tell you how to do this. I know that e.g. the webmin tool can help you with that)

If you already have CIFS running (and file locations are "exported") you should be able to mount the file location as you tried already. I don't know if you are running the Daphile stable version or one of the Beta versions? If on a Beta version you will be able to login via SSH from Ubuntu. Use "root" and "zaq" as user and password. Then try to mount manually from the linux-prompt, e.g.:
mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWD //192.168.1.88/shares /mnt/share
(of course use your own IP/sharename/mountpoint,etc.)
If it works you can go to your mountpoint and you should see your files/directories. If it does not work at least you'll see an error-message which may help you further.

I hope this will help you to solve your problem :)

(P.S. you can also use NFS to export/mount your file locations).

Second question.
For several years now, I have been burning flacs to CD or DVD for playback on my Oppo. I would like to go down the computer music route, hence my dabbling with Daphile. I copied files from disc, across my home network, into the Daphile 'music' folder. File structure is:
DAPHILE/Music/artist/album name/tracks
Some folders appear in the library whereas other do not. Is there a naming convention I should be following ? Maybe because tags are empty on some of the flacs ?
Help would be appreciated, thanks.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Success! Thanks for your help and patience. Turns out on the server side (the remote machine) there are two new packages to install, nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server. Then chmod to allow permissions on various directories. Then exportfs command to export the filesystem. And then add a line to fstab to make sure your partition mounts automatically on server startup. And at some point I started the nfsd service.

Simple once you know what steps are needed. Otherwise very frustrating.

So I'm up and running, see pictures. Daphile works fine with a schiit modi 2 uber, modi 2 multibit, and a hifime DAC. Is someone keeping a list?

Anyway I realize that 1st paragraph is too much info, unless you're stuck in Ubuntu.

And my cheap, direct from HK, medium power, fanless computer runs like a champ.

Attachments

• IMG_20180409_202856.jpg
    IMG_20180409_202856.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20180409_203325.jpg
    IMG_20180409_203325.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 237
What difference does it make? The extra zero bits will be cut before or inside the DAC anyway.
I posted earlier. They are not zero bits or so it seems, when upsampling SoX produces full 32 bit samples.

Clock: 23:34:49.536 Source: Proxied stream from Media Server Input format: FLAC, 44.1kHz, 16bits SoX effects: [gain -1]->[rate -vLsn 176400] Output format: WAV (S32LE), 176.4kHz, 32bits

Last edited:
Internal sox format is int32. If your soundcard reports 24bit capability (S24_3LE), sox does the truncation before sending samples to alsalib->driver. If your interface declares 32 bits (S32_LE), it is up to the soundcard to truncate. Either in the soundcard controller (if the DAC chip supports 24 bits), or in the DAC chip itself (if it supports 32bits input). In any case the output will be identical, no DAC has real resolution > 24 bits, but typically much lower. The only difference is extra bits over USB, no issue.

Internal sox format is int32. If your soundcard reports 24bit capability (S24_3LE), sox does the truncation before sending samples to alsalib->driver. If your interface declares 32 bits (S32_LE), it is up to the soundcard to truncate. Either in the soundcard controller (if the DAC chip supports 24 bits), or in the DAC chip itself (if it supports 32bits input). In any case the output will be identical, no DAC has real resolution > 24 bits, but typically much lower. The only difference is extra bits over USB, no issue.
The DAC is 24bits, USB interface declares 32, 8 bits are truncated w/no dither which makes my internal audiophile unhappy :)

The DAC is 24bits, USB interface declares 32, 8 bits are truncated w/no dither which makes my internal audiophile unhappy :)

If it was 24->16, I could understand your concern. 32->24 it really makes no difference. As phofman pointed out, it drowns out in the noise from the DAC (and the source material - show me any commercial recording with a noise level below -95 dB).

If it was 24->16, I could understand your concern. 32->24 it really makes no difference. As phofman pointed out, it drowns out in the noise from the DAC (and the source material - show me any commercial recording with a noise level below -95 dB).
Well, I do not necessarily disagree but if there was a was a way to suppress the 32 bit mode through the driver it couldn't hurt, right? I have another DAC and it has a 32/16 discrepancy which is worse.

If your chain picks the 32bit format, no damage done.

For USB soundcards the driver picks the device altset which corresponds to the requested hw parameters. If you want always 24 bits and daphile offers no such option (I do not use it, do not know its config), you can define a new device with S24_3LE limit in your .asoundrc and let daphile use this new device instead.

ALSA project - the C library reference: PCM (digital audio) plugins

If your chain picks the 32bit format, no damage done.

For USB soundcards the driver picks the device altset which corresponds to the requested hw parameters. If you want always 24 bits and daphile offers no such option (I do not use it, do not know its config), you can define a new device with S24_3LE limit in your .asoundrc and let daphile use this new device instead.

ALSA project - the C library reference: PCM (digital audio) plugins
This is interesting, thanks, will try. Unlike say JRiver Daphile has no setting for the bit format, hopefully I can limit it lower in the stack.