Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

OK - I installed the latest beta - exactly the same. Runs fine from RAM, but takes far too long and only able to load a track at a time, which is no use for a lot of classical music. And I don't think there's a way to run from RAM whilst using eg squeezer to control. So I think I've probably answered my question - just not enough "grunt" to run this DAC. I didn't realise that different DACs would use different processing power.

Thanks again everyone.

Mark

OK - I installed the latest beta - exactly the same. Runs fine from RAM, but takes far too long and only able to load a track at a time, which is no use for a lot of classical music. And I don't think there's a way to run from RAM whilst using eg squeezer to control. So I think I've probably answered my question - just not enough "grunt" to run this DAC. I didn't realise that different DACs would use different processing power.

Thanks again everyone.

Mark
Also check the CPU is set to the max speed under power options.

I'm going to give Volumio a shot just to see if it's any better.

Good evening guys. Is there a good soul that can explain how to load my rew filters in the brute fir?
Have I to upsample my 44,1khz wav filters to 192khz with Sox, before to load in the brute fir convolver? Or daphile recognize the frequency and auto upsampling itself my wavs?

Last edited:
I should be on this firmware version
Just upgrade the new firmware, and re-connect all cables, now, I can use SU1 -> Holo Spring to play DSD512:D

Today, I try to upscale my DSD64 file to DSD512, but, it come out stuttering.
However, I do not have any stuttering when I upscale my WAV files to DSD512
Any advice on it?

P.S.: I am using i7-7700K CPU with 32G memory for my Daphile server

Hello. First post from a long time grateful Daphile user. Just re-read most of the thread from the beginning - very enlightening! Most of all to witness Kipeta's forbearance with the incessant requests for the same things again and again - esp an ARM-based distro. I think most people would begin to get irritated.

Anyway, my query relates to problems with M2Tech HiFace DAC. I have a passively cooled VIA/EPIA mobo, pretty low-end for these days, recycled Hush AVX, but runs flawlessly into at different times CEntrance DAC-mini, NwAvGuy O-DAC, and so on.

Recently got M2Tech HiFace USB DAC which as I understand it should run off the embedded UAC2 driver (as I think does the CEntrance), but no success. I get sound, but hopelessly broken. Tried setting max data rate to 96kHz to match other working DACs, but no better. Tried changing buffer sizes, same again.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Mark

Do you know what USB 2.0 host controller is in your system? I poked around and turns out my mobo is using VIA VT6202 for USB 2.0. Could be Daphile bundles a buggy VIA USB driver?

Hey, does someone maybe have a solution for this?

Just got a Terra Nettop 2600 i525 w7p.
(cant find proper information about this one in the internet)
I guess it doesnt have a wifi card to display a "daphile" in wifi networks.
in fact, i have to connect the pc to a friends wifi router in order to get over the "waiting for network connection..."
then from the home wifi i can enter the ip that it displays then.

i would like to know, how i can have the daphile pc boot with only a home network (ethernet cable - pc2pc).

i used to have a daphile pc running that had a wifi card, so it would automatically boot and display an ip.

but now it insist on the home-wifi ... :/

Got upfated concerning that computer, it has wifi but as a usb device internaly.
Is it possible to set up the daphile withou any internet or wifi? Only cable? Doesnt seem so then...

It is possible, in fact it should all just work automatically, boot from the install media wait for the IP address to show on the screen, and then connect to it from another computer using web-browser, worked for me. If no IP is showing the network card may be unsupported or Daphile can't get an IP address from the DHCP server for whatever reason.

Thats the thing, a wifi card is crucial.
I found out that the pc only has an internal usb wifi device, so linux most likely doesnt have a driver for that during setup.
I actually can install daphile using friends internet und router connec, but afterwards it is still aksing to get network connection to show an ip.
Is it possible to make the boot of daphile understand it is in an home network, classicaly via cable with just another computer? No internet no wifi?!

Thats the thing, a wifi card is crucial.
I found out that the pc only has an internal usb wifi device, so linux most likely doesnt have a driver for that during setup.
I actually can install daphile using friends internet und router connec, but afterwards it is still aksing to get network connection to show an ip.
Is it possible to make the boot of daphile understand it is in an home network, classicaly via cable with just another computer? No internet no wifi?!

Even without internet/wifi a "home network" these days usually means computers connected together through Ethernet cables/switches running on IP network protocol with some mechanism to assign IP addresses to computers, dynamic or static. To me it sounds like you don't have a home network and just have 2 computers and a network cable. You can connect 2 computers directly with a network cable, in the old days you needed a cross-over Ethernet cable for that but these days all network cards are auto-sensing so a normal cable should do. If you have a hub/switch you can connect both computers to it with 2 network cables.

General steps, assuming the above (i.e. no DHCP running on the network):

1. Give your non-Daphile computer a static IP address and a network mask, e.g. 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0
2. Boot Daphile from the installation media, as it boots wait for the message prompting to press F1 for additional setup settings, press F1
3. It opens up a menu where you can set a static IP, assign say 192.168.0.11/255.255.255.0 there, then continue, Daphile should load and assign that IP address to the network card
4. Now you type http://192.168.0.11 in the web-browser of the non-Daphile computer to continue with the installation.

I haven't tried this myself as I'm using dynamic IPs on my home network, make sure that static IP remains in the Daphile Network settings after you install Daphile on the HDD before you shut down.

If memory serves, you can then have Daphile to open up a WiFi access point using the WiFi adapter in the computer which you can connect to from mobile devices, provided it can load a driver for that WiFi adapter of course.

Last edited:
M2Tech

Thanks gvl, for both suggestions. Under "Power" in "Settings" there is no choice of CPU speed, in BIOS it's not over-clockable. Regarding USB driver, the honest answer is I've no idea. It's the VIA/EPIA M10000 mobo with a VIA C3 1MHz socket 370 processor, VIA Apollo CLE266 chipset.

Interestingly I keep losing connection via the intranet, if M2Tech DAC is plugged in. That's rarely happened before - in the past I've had to reboot it maybe monthly now it's daily. Not sure whether it's the DAC upsetting something or coincidence. I've got the latest beta as discussed - 17.12-b221934-i486, but I assume that's pretty stable despite being labelled beta.

I may go back to latest stable in case. But the lesson is that when you're happy with something, be grateful and don't buy a nice new DAC just in case...! I'll go back to what I was happy with.

Regards,
Mark

Hey gvl,

it didnt work.
On my Bunsenlab Lap i chose right click on cabled connection when the cable was plugged but the daphile still off. There i went to the column of ip4 and wrote the data as u said.

when daphile started i chose the ip as u said;
subnet mask was 255.255.255.0
for router i chose the ip of the bunsenlabs lap that i just entered in that connection window
and dns was 255.255.255.0 again
domain remaind empty