Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Jajajaja:D

You aren't converting or upsampling nothing just playing isn't necessary powerfull PC.

You must read carefuly..
He doesn't mention upsampling or anything..

Hi All,

I'm running the latest version 17.05-x86_64 yet I'm still getting annoying dropouts and long pauses in play during HiRes Playback 24 bit 176.4/352.8kHz or DSD64.
I am using it on a Mac mini 2011 connected to SOtM sMS-200 then onto Chord DAVE DAC.
Do I need to adjust some settings for buffer or something?
Please help.

Daphile 17.05 annoying clicks

Hello everybody,
until yesterday I was happy with Daphile 16.04 on a Futro S900 with 4Gb Ram feeding an iFi iDAC2 DAC. I slightly preferred it over a Jriver MC21/iMac configuration, which I use alternatively.
Now and then I installed some beta versions but soon went back to last stable version due to hearable clicks.
Yesterday night I upgraded to 17.05 64b and appreciated the improvement in sound but clicks appeared again and some slightly dropouts, too. We're talking about FLAC 44.100 16bits, not DSD.
One might say that HW is (suddenly) inadequate. Be that as it may I wouldn't like to remain confined to the 16.04 version.
On the Futro: external HD (music) and DAC are USB connected, while OS is on an internal 16GB M-Sata.
I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Hello everybody,
until yesterday I was happy with Daphile 16.04 on a Futro S900 with 4Gb Ram feeding an iFi iDAC2 DAC. I slightly preferred it over a Jriver MC21/iMac configuration, which I use alternatively.
Now and then I installed some beta versions but soon went back to last stable version due to hearable clicks.
Yesterday night I upgraded to 17.05 64b and appreciated the improvement in sound but clicks appeared again and some slightly dropouts, too. We're talking about FLAC 44.100 16bits, not DSD.
One might say that HW is (suddenly) inadequate. Be that as it may I wouldn't like to remain confined to the 16.04 version.
On the Futro: external HD (music) and DAC are USB connected, while OS is on an internal 16GB M-Sata.
I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.
I don't know your system, but I would say that it would be adequate to use it with Daphile. I use a J1900 based system and that one plays well. It's not very different from the Futro I reccon. One thing, though: you write that both external HD and DAC are connected via USB. Can this maybe the source of the problem? perhaps try to put some files on the internal SSD, play it from there and see what happens then. If this plays nicely then the sharing of the USB ports plays a part in your problems.

Mine is also J1900 based box. I also heard the click sound , but that was after I switched the CPU power to dynamic and clock source from acpi-pm. I switched back to maximum and haven't encountered any problem so far. I need more time to verify this. BTW, I am getting the data stream through 802.11n WiFi across different floor, so the I/O may not be the culprit.

Mine is also J1900 based box. I also heard the click sound , but that was after I switched the CPU power to dynamic and clock source from acpi-pm. I switched back to maximum and haven't encountered any problem so far. I need more time to verify this. BTW, I am getting the data stream through 802.11n WiFi across different floor, so the I/O may not be the culprit.

Mine is running on Dynamic, but Clock Source is TSC. As far as I know this is default, at least on my system. Can't recall to have heard clicks or pops. I'm running the latest beta version. I also use wired Ethernet. That said I don't use a directly attached DAC, but stream to a SB-Touch at the moment. I'll be able to test with my USB-DAC tomorrow and let know what the results are.

Mine is running on Dynamic, but Clock Source is TSC. As far as I know this is default, at least on my system. Can't recall to have heard clicks or pops. I'm running the latest beta version. I also use wired Ethernet. That said I don't use a directly attached DAC, but stream to a SB-Touch at the moment. I'll be able to test with my USB-DAC tomorrow and let know what the results are.

Thank you @MSHAVS and @canvas.
I disconnected the HD and listened to web radio, but the problem remains.

Hi MSHAVS,

What do the different clock source options mean?

G

Here is what I found. I choose ACPI_PM for better compatibility (possibly).

Time Stamp Counter (TSC)
All 80x86 microprocessors include a CLK input pin, which receives the clock signal of an external oscillator. Starting with the Pentium, 80x86 microprocessors sport a counter that is increased at each clock signal, and is accessible through the TSC register which can be read by means of the rdtsc assembly instruction. When using this register the kernel has to take into consideration the frequency of the clock signal: if, for instance, the clock ticks at 1 GHz, the TSC is increased once every nanosecond. Linux may take advantage of this register to get much more accurate time measurements.

ACPI Power Management Timer (ACPI PMT)
The ACPI PMT is another clock device included in almost all ACPI-based motherboards. Its clock signal has a fixed frequency of roughly 3.58 MHz. The device is a simple counter increased at each clock tick. However the ACPI PMT is preferable to the TSC if the operating system or the BIOS may dynamically lower the CPU's frequency or voltage. When this happens, TSC's frequency changes causing time warps and others side-effects, while the frequency of ACPI PMT does not.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,
I'm using Daphile since longtime and I'm quite satisfied, but I have a problem after the 17.05 update.
After the update I'm no more able to see the network folder on my NAS, while it was working with the previous version...
I was using (succesfully) ftp as following:
"ftp://admin@192.168.1.111:[8080]/Music DB" with its password

Which is the reason it's no more working? maybe the space in the path?:confused:

Ripping to hi-res FLAC

Hello, I've been using Daphile on an older, fanless/silent HP Thin Client for a couple months it seems. At one point I thought there was a problem with the thin client, but actually I found a bad patch-cord; so that was good. I mostly stream Tidal or local FM HD-Radio.

Sorry to be so long winded, there is a question here somewhere. I have a few CDs that are in formats higher than red book, for example HDCD, SACD or DSD; but when I would put it in my laptop optical drive, (old computer with iTunes) would always see them as 44.1/16. I didn't see a point to up-sampling when ripping.

I always assumed this was because the optical drive was just generic, or whatever OEM was at the time. I got to thinking though, it's just a transport, right?
:idea::idea:
I think I can rip CDs with Daphile,.. never tried. Will Daphile recognize the SACD format and rip it to FLAC of equal resolution? Any special settings I should look at to do this? :idea::idea:

Sounds interesting, but maybe it's too technical for me :scratch1:. Is it something I can change myself on Daphile settings?
You can now, with new version..

Attachments

• Daphile.jpg
    Daphile.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 518
Hi Fellow Daphile users,

I just came from the Daphile website and have read the documentations there and I have a few questions which I need your help.

1. I am currently using Jrivers(version 22) working on the Windows 8.1, is there an an advantage to switch over to this player? If so can you elaborate.
2. I am using an Xmos adapter(from USB to Audio coaxial output), is there a built-in driver in Daphile to work with this Xmos adapter?

I have a spare PC which I can convert to use this player as my dedicated audio player, before I do so your answers to my queries above will help me to decide whether I should proceed, thanks in advance.