• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

I thought that OSX simply transcoded to linear PCM for the device.. thus whatever you play the OS simply transcodes it to LPCM. The only difference is the sample rate and sample bit depth sent. The filters are then executed on the LPCM. This 'dumb device' only taking LPCM is because there's no codec within the xmos except they provide the Cirrus support for the evaluation board. My understanding is that the Windows drivers are because windows itself doesn't support audio class 2.0 and the transcoding for the higher sample rates/depths.

The USB and I2S inputs can take up to 24 bit / 384 Khz PCM and up to 5.6 Mbit DoP and 11.2 Mbit DSD, the I2S format must be with 32 bits per audio word.
The dam1921/dam1941 upsamples everything to the final 2.8/3.1 Mhz DAC sample rate in two steps, there are three different filters in the dam19x1:
FIR1, when input is PCM it will upsample from incoming sample rate to 352/384 Khz in one step, with different filter lenght based on incoming sample rate, when input is DSD it will be filtered and decimated to 352 Khz . There can be four different set of filter types.
IIR, bank of 15 biquads operating at 352/384 Khz, with one used for the CD de-emphasis filter, none otherwise used for the basic DAC.
Please note that biquad number 16 to 23 is reserved for the crossfeed function.
FIR2, upsampling from 352/384 Khz to 2.8/3.1 Mhz. There can be four different types, usually matching those in FIR1
All filters are using 32 bit coefficients, with up to 67 bit MAC accumulator. The filter file format is the same as used in the dam1021, the files are available at Soekris Engineering ApS, R-2R Sign Magnitude Audio DAC

It sounds like the DAC is simply applying FIR1, IIR, FIR2 to the LPCM stream, using a zero insertion upsampling for any lower speeds - first FIR1 upsamples to the 352/384MHz, second FIR2 upsamples to the final 3MHz for switching.

I suspect that the 32bit stream is simply accepted and rendered down (as the system is 27bit anyway).

So when people speak of NOS as a buzzword.. in this case given the system is always upsampling, the meaning here is really switch off any sound effecting filter parameters and IIR CD filter.. as the system still needs to upsample to it's switching speed which technically is oversampling.

Last edited:
Applying just the "filters" is not everything that happens.

Usually you also see an attenuation of the signal prior to the filters to avoid clipping.
Since these onDAC filters are realtime filters, the filter designer needs to add
quite a (fixed) safety margin (?dB :: -1/-2/-3dB) for each attenuation/filter stage.

That means the signal (without confirmation) sees potentially 3 times digital attenuation (2x filter, 1x volume control)
and two times filtering and that on the DAC only. I assume the volume control comes as final DSP stage.
And all that is done @32bit. From my experience doing DSP based convolution/crossovers/resampling/...
I always experienced advantages of using 64bit DSP in ""multi-stage"" DSP chains btw.
The 32bits used on the DAC "could" IMO therefore also be a slight limitation.

Talking about NOS in the context of this DAC would be of course more then misleading.
Yep. NOS matches R2R. ;) Both expressions suggest an old-school, analoglike still digital experience.
But from what I understand it's just the first FIR configured with 1.0 coefficients what the custom-filter
folks call NOS. Which of course suggests ... :D

As a matter of fact. The Soekris DAC is a hightech digital device. As with every device,
what matters is the final result. And that seems to be very competitive.

And not to forget, there is no solution out there that comes without compromises.
To lower/limit these compromises DIY-Audio has actually been invented. (allegedly) ;)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Quick question - the board has a second i2s connection (essential for future proofing imoho) but I have a couple of questions:
* can it be selected through the source select in uManager?
* I assume it’s not isolated?
* does the board start up muting the inputs (the output buffer would mute output)
* is it possible to shutdown the xmox when using the internal i2s?

Quick question - the board has a second i2s connection (essential for future proofing imoho) but I have a couple of questions:
* can it be selected through the source select in uManager?

Yes. See page 8 in manual.

* I assume it’s not isolated?

Correct.

* does the board start up muting the inputs (the output buffer would mute output)

Output would be muted during startup. The EN_PHO and EN_LIN should be used to enable the outputs (non mute).

* is it possible to shutdown the xmox when using the internal i2s?

No. Just don't connect USB Power if you want it shutdown.

Capacitors in the correct position

Sören,
Is the red capacitors C260 placed correctly?
It looks strange as it is connected to the ladder that is not in use.

Attachments

• A73EFB2E-A737-497F-A96C-831CDEDCF641.jpg
    A73EFB2E-A737-497F-A96C-831CDEDCF641.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 701
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sören,
Is the red capacitors C260 placed correctly?
It looks strange as it is connected to the ladder that is not in use.

Hmm, that's right, there should be no capacitor at C260. but it should be at C263.... The stock I have here is correct, so probably just a single mistake that got though.... I assume you can move it yourself ?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You face somewhat of a problem mixing 2 different DACs to play in one and the same system when one is USB (pleisyncron) and s/pdif which is syncron. It could men that the timing between the two DACs may change between songs and/or albums. How much... Dont know - there is no fix delay promised over USB.

I run a similar system now using 2pc of 1121 and a Hypex DCLP - all on opto using a self built true parallel opto multiplier. While this is not the same as hawing one-chip 4 channel DAC, I'm not to worried. Mixing USB and s/spdif... I wouldn't.

//

I try to setup the dam1941 with a streaming device over the 2nd I2S port directly which can give me high quality playback of my NaS files from 44k/16bit to 192k/24 bit AND spotify/tindal support.

My choice has been a RP4, Ian's fifopi ultimate and volumio.

Well, i learned, that the DAM1941 was able to play the 24bit recording, but no 16bit input is accepted / understood. Is this always the case ? No 16bit on I2S ?

Unfortunately Volumio cannot resample spotify, so i did not got what i hooed to realized so far.

Has anyone came to same issue and how did you solve it ? Is there a potential for a firmware update to enable as well 16bit ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I try to setup the dam1941 with a streaming device over the 2nd I2S port directly which can give me high quality playback of my NaS files from 44k/16bit to 192k/24 bit AND spotify/tindal support.

My choice has been a RP4, Ian's fifopi ultimate and volumio.

Well, i learned, that the DAM1941 was able to play the 24bit recording, but no 16bit input is accepted / understood. Is this always the case ? No 16bit on I2S ?

Unfortunately Volumio cannot resample spotify, so i did not got what i hooed to realized so far.

Has anyone came to same issue and how did you solve it ? Is there a potential for a firmware update to enable as well 16bit ?

All dams only take 32 bit I2S signals, you should be able to set your player software to always output 32 bit.