• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

dam1941 - Next Gen Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz DAC module

I am working on both a 1021 and a 1921. I thought I read the muting ICs could be removed from 1941/1921 without causing a problem but in working on my 1021 I realized they can't. So I think I made a mistake taking them off the 1921. Or is it safe to remove them?

At least on the dam1021 if you remove the muting sot23 fets you also need to remove R392. I am not sure what the equiv on the 19x1 is. Be careful and implement a relay shunt, you could cause serious damage to your amp/speakers if you happen to power off a shuntless dam1021 with your PA on. The idea is if the muting fets fail the vref will not come online, thus not risk destroying anything. Removing R392 forces the vref to come up.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had an opportunity to compare my modified DAC to a stock Soekris dac1541 as well MSB DAC. There were 5 other people present at the listening session.

We listened to my DAC first and it produced favorable impressions: "very natural", "great soundstage", "speakers disappearing", "organic", "damn close to MSB" were some of the comments from listening panel.

Later we listen to stock Soekris: it sounded nice but nothing really stood out: the soundstage narrowed, vocals lost naturality, it just wasn't that much engaging and refined.

The MSB DAC was last; it sounded very impressive in audiophile sense, but at least one panelist commented that it wasn't as natural as my DAC, with highs more edgy and less smooth.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 523
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 514
That is a good question.

Peter has never said which filters he is using. Maybe there was a mention of retaining the stock filters but I am not sure.

I am curious what power supplies were used for the stock SOEKRIS. Should we assume the same filters were used on both the stock and the DANIEL SOEKRIS? I would think so.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It was Discrete DAC with Premier Powerbase: The Discrete DAC Pricing - MSB Technology

Soekris dac1541 uses switching PS: http://www.soekris.dk/images/dac1541_open_1200.jpg

For comparison I was using stock filters on both DACs: the preference was soft minimum phase (LED off).

Nice work....

when you're saying "stock filter" on both, do you mean what they came with, or both having the new 4K filters ? I'm asking as if it is an older dac1541, then it came with the old 2K filters....

I had a dam1121 and he payed better than my actual 1941, but I had one Amanero board fed with a nice psu. I am trying to connect an Amanero to the board, but have one doubt : Can I connect it without connecting the MCLK? Will the Amanero use the clock of the Soekris, connected this way? If not, where do I connect that MCLK??

Another thing : I want to use the onboard usb XMOS, but feeding it with a good external psu. Should I use J3 to conect the 5Volt ps to feed the XMOS?

Thank you!