DAC IC recomendation

If you want to keep the LT3042 for some reason you could still do that too, even if some people might laugh. They might laugh at what you are doing already for that matter.
Sorry but that's a bit rude. I'm well aware that I'm a novice at PCB design, if you have a better solution, post a ref design that fits the project and I will consider it, but this statement does not help.

I get the feeling we are delving into details here, I started with the LT3042 because I saw a youtube video and some threads on the forum, without having a better option I implemented it and think it will do the job. It might be overkill for a first iteration, but having something well-designed in place doesn't hurt and hopefully, it's one area that does not need my attention for a while. The nice thing would be that the LDO is not the limiting factor and can be used for a higher-tier design. I rather spend the money on this than on an 8 € clock.
There will be no other load than the DAC IC and the clock, if I choose to add stuff later on the power section can be expanded.

Regarding the Caps, I might buy a collection of common values in higher quantities for upcoming projects. I also have some Nichicon aluminium and some TDK film caps, as well as an assortment of Murata and Taiyo Yuden ceramics from my last project that I can put in if needed.

Best
Fabian

Sorry but that's a bit rude.
Agreed. But I am not one who delights in laughing at people. I have played that game before when people first played it with me, but I don't like it.

Other than that bohrok and I are both trying to help you each in our own way. Where we agree you can be pretty sure you should pay close attention and not assume you know better from some datasheet or youtube video. Sorry if that sounds rude too. Maybe consider it blunt, but the intent isn't to make fun of you. Its to get you up to speed faster then you can do on your own. Modern satasheets are in large part designed to get EEs to try out parts, not to reveal what is less than ideal with parts. Hopefully you can see that now. If not now, then maybe later when you have more experience. Also probably wise to check on your youtube resources. There a are lot of people making videos, which is a form of showbiz. Not all them them are equally expert, even if they play an EE on TV. Again, that may seem rude, but there is some real truth to it.

Regarding caps, of ceramic caps only C0G/NPO in higher voltage ratings are highly linear. They are also not so lossy as class II or class III ceramics. It means we need to pay more attention damping if we need that level of linearity. There is a wonderful deal on SMD film caps available at Digikey, but it isn't always in stock. I would suggest to backorder one or more sets sooner rather than later. https://www.digikey.com/en/products...DaIE4FcBGBPAxgewHYAIBmAlgDYC2OaAhgA4DOIAugL5A ...Its quite a bargain and maybe you will learn something from trying them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not all them them are equally expert, even if they play an EE on TV.
I was referencing this video
Usually, I watch videos on specific topics provided by Altium or similar credible sources.

The datasheets often seem so useless, that I don't want to use the part at all... most of what ESS provides is just garbage and the reason I was looking for a DAC by TI. In my opinion, a datasheet should provide a comprehensive guide to use the product according to specification and not just list all the "cool stuff" that the product does.
The GNU C reference manual is a good example of how to do it right or the help function for the TIA portal by siemens.
I was able to build my amp because I followed the guidelines provided by Infineon, it can be debated if I knew what I was doing, but in the end, I had a functional product that actually works.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
most of what ESS provides is just garbage
The datasheets are, the products are not.

I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately there is not guide to good sound or even a working product in many datasheets. This changes if you work at a company and ask ESS if they can support you while designing a new product and expect to buy a few 10,000s of one of their ICs. This is the normal model and the DIYer is only a nuisance unless 10,000s of the ICs are sold to these guys.

The old model for the lone DIYer was to use the datasheet, find the ICs from obscure sources, just design something and then test and iron out the imperfections. All very hardware orientated and experience came automatically as things simply did not work straight away. I have never ever seen a YouTube video on technical stuff or used any simulation software. That is a difference with todays possibilities that are more, broader, faster and often also software orientated. In short: loads of features, fast development and low cost.

Last edited:
The datasheets often seem so useless, that I don't want to use the part at all... most of what ESS provides is just garbage and the reason I was looking for a DAC by TI. In my opinion, a datasheet should provide a comprehensive guide to use the product according to specification and not just list all the "cool stuff" that the product does.
The GNU C reference manual is a good example of how to do it right or the help function for the TIA portal by siemens.
I was able to build my amp because I followed the guidelines provided by Infineon, it can be debated if I knew what I was doing, but in the end, I had a functional product that actually works.
The clue is in the title. It is a sheet of data not a reference manual or a guide book. Upon opening many a technical manual or book you will be greeted with a list of prerequisites and a datasheet is no different. To use the datasheet you are expected bring something to the party.

Regarding the regulators for the first board revision maybe the best option is to cater for both single LT3042 and separate LDOs (e.g. NCP163) for all power supplies. Add jumpers or solder bridges for selecting either power source. You can leave either one unpopulated if you decide not have both on board.

The datasheets often seem so useless, that I don't want to use the part at all...
As it turns out you picked a project to work on that is one of more poorly documented in audio. If you want to build amplifiers there are various helpful books on the subject. IIUC there is no equivalent book to tell you all about design and development of dacs.

Other than that, learning how to design and develop a high quality ESS (or, say for example, AKM) dac is sort of a rite of passage. Each of us who has come before you has had to grapple with whatever limited information is available. Sometimes that means we need to perform experiments and or tests to figure out what works for our needs. When you are finished with your project, if you decide to continue, things will start to make a lot more sense than they may seem to now.

The clue is in the title. It is a sheet of data not a reference manual or a guide book. Upon opening many a technical manual or book you will be greeted with a list of prerequisites and a datasheet is no different. To use the datasheet you are expected bring something to the party.
Technically correct, but. As discussed before some manufacturers do provide detailed datasheets that function as a reference manual. From my experience so far, TI often has reference PCB layouts and part lists for reference designs, sometimes companies provide design files as well. I have mentioned that my first PCB design only was possible because of good documentation, I would never have gotten so far by guessing.
If a company is willing to hand me useful information, the probability of me trusting them will rise, simply because measurements can be verified more easily.
I rather have an IC with lower specs that I can implement well than a high-end product with an unknown implementation methodology.
For implementing a ref design of the ES9033 only a handful of parts and a 2-layer board would be needed, I expect ESS that they have done some work into developing a design to get the maximum out of their products before releasing it. But bad documentation is often an inherent problem in companies.
I see that in my job every day. For example, the electricians didn't mark ANY circuit breaker on an open-air venue, with no drawings of the distribution of the area. Of course, I can do my "research" if a problem occurs, but things could be often much easier if they just do proper documentation.

Enough complaining... I have settled with ESS for now and will proceed.

Some documentation from ESS was attached to an earlier post: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/dac-ic-recomendation.389100/post-7109284
Evaluation board design files used to be available for download, but not any more. Have to contact the distributor to ask for that type of thing now.

However, I did save copies of ES9038PRO and ES9038Q2M evaluation board design files. Could post a link to them if anyone would like. Design files were made using DipTrace, which has free trial version available if anyone wants to play around with the designs. https://diptrace.com/

Some documentation from ESS was attached to an earlier post: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/dac-ic-recomendation.389100/post-7109284
Evaluation board design files used to be available for download, but not any more. Have to contact the distributor to ask for that type of thing now.

However, I did save copies of ES9038PRO and ES9038Q2M evaluation board design files. Could post a link to them if anyone would like. Design files were made using DipTrace, which has free trial version available if anyone wants to play around with the designs. https://diptrace.com/
Hi Mark,

if I could get one for ES9023p I would be grateful as I can use my Linkplay A28 with ES9023P after a firmware change.

or if you could guide me in the thread created where you had helped earlier for a PCB design

Unfortunately, don't have one for ES9023P. Depending on where you live you might be able to get a copy from the distributor for your area. Don't know what their attitude about diy is at the moment. Probably if they are willing to give you something they will want an NDA from you first.

Unfortunately, don't have one for ES9023P. Depending on where you live you might be able to get a copy from the distributor for your area. Don't know what their attitude about diy is at the moment. Probably if they are willing to give you something they will want an NDA from you first.
I don’t want to go that path where I am , I asked TI rep for some help on PCM5122 and it was like I was asking for his address and than said go to the forum TI.

When I used to work with a Industrial manufacturer and we wanted to change the microcontroller to PSOC5 from the NXP89v51RD2 - they were like we don’t PSOC5 as of now as it’s just launched but we can give PSOC3.
While both are different core - PSOC5 was 8051 core. So I stay away from reps as much as possible