DAC for under $3k

Don't think we probably need silver cable either, but do find that most audio cables do affect sound to some extent or other. Should be possible to make copper cable that does a better job when minimal effects on sound quality is the overriding goal. Most cable is designed with some mix of design goals, e.g. durability, noise shielding, flexibility, ease of termination, etc. Its not just about sound quality of a one meter long home hi-fi line level interconnect, nor any other single-minded goal. Probably it could be done with copper, but so far I don't think anyone has done it as successfully as might be possible.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Imagine two silver heads comitees...one working on cable over 3k dollars for DAC under 30 bucks. And the second comitee on DAC over 3K and cables under 30.

Then make a benchmark of the two better results in a meeting with few beers....ahaha they will sound the same after few bottles.

I personally see absolutely no practical difference between a cable that is constructed from connectors that have the centre/signal pin/wire extruded from a single solid piece and one that is cold welded/crimped, or other well implemented solderless connection (and i'm not even denigrating soldered connections, just for this example). I do use solderless connections where possible, but thats more about maintaining constant impedance if required. personally, using a connector type that has a true dedicated shield, like XLR, even for single ended connections is a much better use of resources.

one other thing, that cable appears to ignore the fact that a signal is comprised of a signal and return, apparently the audio electrons only care about uninterrupted connection on the signal pin ...

I have 2.2 with my own single crown TDA1541 and some Black Gates I had in the drawer. A remarkable DAC just high output and hum level make it little problematic with speakers over 100dB.
For me getting the gain structure right in my setup, and whether to attenuate in the digital or analog domain are areas i'm developing. Right now in my livingroom setup i feed my Abbas from a 8-way toslink to coax switcher. Have every source hooked up to this little switcher and it picks a signal that's playing. I attenuate in the digital domain right now, worth if for a hands-off setup. Happy with it, but i need to fix my office setup, the high output of Abbas makes 95% of my volume unusable. Time to bypass a stage or diy something.

I can highly recommend the SE versions, i'm sure if you contacted Mr Abbas and explained the need for absolute minimum hum i'm sure he could accommodate you. I know he's into high-sensitivity speakers as well. I've toyed with the idea of modding my 0.1SE, heard good things about changing the caps and wiring. 95% of my library is Redbook and Abbas has been end-of-the-line for me. Abbas Audio are pretty cool in that they will service an unmodified unit for free, and a modified unit for a fee. Good to know if the mods don't work out.