DAC for under $3k

In some ways yes in other ways no. Lay out a fair detailed reviews for people instead of making blanket compliments. The W4S sounds much better to my ears and its built better looks better by 100x

I denied a Topping access to my rack. To each their own.

D90 (original version with AK4499) took 2-4 days of burn in. After that bass was good, as was LF imaging. At vocal frequencies and above it sounded a bit off. Sounds better or best at DSD256 in DAC mode (volume control disabled), as verses playing any PCM. Because of the sound imperfection at vocal frequencies and above I use it as a backup dac only.

In comparison to D90, DAC-3 soundstage (stereo illusion) sounded narrow, forward, somewhat flat, and the overall sound seemed a bit distorted. Whether it was distortion, jitter, or signal-correlated noise, or whatever, it sounded kinda like distortion to me. Gave that one away to my daughter.

Didn't have W4S for comparison.

Last edited:
I'm going to test silver in a little while. For a second time. With a completely difference (and very quiet Ill add ) system, not necessarily strongly better in any areas. Against high quality copper in pure form, low tins. I could not realize audible differences during the first trials. It might require hearing like that of the Super Man himself to decipher differences between those two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommend you audition an Abbas Audio DAC in your system. I started with a 0.1SE and moved to a 4.1SE. Note that higher number does not necessarily mean ”better” with Abbas. He also takes payment in bitcoin nowadays.
I have 2.2 with my own single crown TDA1541 and some Black Gates I had in the drawer. A remarkable DAC just high output and hum level make it little problematic with speakers over 100dB.

Yeah, that 2% silver solder makes all the difference to the semiconductor junctions and wire bonds ... are you guys serious? who am I kidding, of course you are :rolleyes:

Well, the only message I can give here is that you should try for yourself and see if you can tell the difference.

I can. I made two identical class A amplifiers, one soldered with standard good old-fashion 40/60 soldier; the second with Mundorf 9.5% silver-loaded solder. They sound completely different. But, that's me. Others may not believe in silver solder. And that is fine.

I am also NOT saying that the silver solder sounds better - just different and to some, in their specific system and listening room, that may just be the sound they want. After I demo the amplifiers, I have not faced anyone who could not hear a very clear difference in sound. And I'm talking here some hard-core electrical/electronics engineers who a priori would bombard me with things like... you must be crazy, no way... but after a listen, they sit there in disbelief glued to the couch with their jaws resting on the floor.

The trick is to be open-minded and try.

Or simply not try and not believe in silver solder, which is also fine.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Pity you want to buy rather than build a DAC, otherwise this might be interesting:

Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13

Its original version uses an FPGA and an SRC4392 for the digital signal processing, tubes for the digital to analog conversion, for the voltage reference and for the clock generator, and potcores and capacitors for the analog reconstruction filtering.

Well good man, if you had a board available your suggestion would be easier to follow up on. (hint ;))

D90 (original version with AK4499) took 2-4 days of burn in. After that bass was good, as was LF imaging. At vocal frequencies and above it sounded a bit off. Sounds better or best at DSD256 in DAC mode (volume control disabled), as verses playing any PCM.
Mark out of curiosity were you using DSD-recorded material or was this via some kind of PCM-to-DSD conversion?

D90 was sent DSD256 upsampled and converted from PCM by HQ Player or by Roon. Tried it both pieces of software.

Haven't tried Sokekris, but did try a low end Denafrips that had been allowed to warm up for a few days. Wasn't to my taste, felt it was too distorted.

Have a look at what I attached. Everything that you see is pure silver; no soldering. Sounds faster than the speed of light. Ultimately spacious and transparent. But, 99% of the time people are simply not ready for this cable, for various reasons. The predominant reason is crap Hi-Fi gear.

All HiFi components manufactured today should be tested/auditioned by manufacturers with this cable, before a final product is being released; this would DEMAND a quantum leap in the quality of all the Hi-Fi components available to consumers.
Nice smooth running snakes. Well oiled.

D90 was sent DSD256 upsampled and converted from PCM by HQ Player or by Roon. Tried it both pieces of software.

Haven't tried Sokekris, but did try a low end Denafrips that had been allowed to warm up for a few days. Wasn't to my taste, felt it was too distorted.
Interesting. Thanks. Every time I consider HQPlayer I go to the website and the price. Hoo boy, not cheap. Then the PC requirements... yikes.

I thought the inference was pretty clear. This is a technical forum, for the most part and posts of that type, should be challenged. They encourage large outlay for at best subjective changes. Suggesting a fairly exclusive and expensive silver cable as some sort of diagnostic instrument is not exactly science based engineering.

and yes, I have done my share of experimentation with different wires very early and as a result, still have plenty of it left. 7N OCC silver, copper, SPC, crystal cables etc etc. as a result I still use it in some builds, where I still need connecting wires, but if I want a bump in detail, I find DSP is much more reliable ... I now use it when I feel like a bit of bling and better conductors wont harm anything. I would always choose a well laid out, well controlled PCB trace though ...

Last edited: