• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So now DAC running... BUT :
I got one question regarding the legato...
Iḿ using an quanghau design DAC together with the legato I/V stage....
After startup the USB is active, and when I switch to optical input I can see that signal is locked, but there is no sound coming from the legato.
After switching off and on the legato stage, there is sound. Do u have an idea why this is ?

May be the iv have prolem.
The iv get I out or v out from dac? Please tell me now .
Thanks

Hi, I am finally back and have time to enjoy and play with my DACENDR. The firmware didn't really solved the issue of the first 0.5s mute, but I can live with it. Now I am having another query:
1. I connect the DAC to headphone amp for listening and the right hand side has an audible hum when i turn up the vol to max. the left side too , but less audible.
2. I notice some of the transistor in the shunt regulations are FZT957, while a few were hand soldered with FZT953. Have check the datasheet of these 2 transistors and the parameters are quite different. Has this got anything to do with the hum noise?

About using ES9018 dac with zapfilter 2

What are your experience with this setup?
What type of output are you guys using (voltage or current from the dac)?

I am using balanced current output right now and if I test with squeezebox 3 I need to have the volume at max 95% else I get a distortet output (also same thing with a DVD player connected to the zapfilter 2 (all coax)

Could It be any difference if I connect the dac output as voltage single to the zapfilter 2?

Best regards

I am using balanced current output right now and if I test with squeezebox 3 I need to have the volume at max 95% else I get a distortet output (also same thing with a DVD player connected to the zapfilter 2 (all coax)

Could It be any difference if I connect the dac output as voltage single to the zapfilter 2?

Best regards

I use Voltage. Much more dynamic then Current output.

Best regards

Hi.

The distortion issue with max 95% may be the ES9018 has VACC/2 on output (3,3V/2=1,65V). Have you raised the input of the Zap-filter to the same?

Also be aware that the Zap filter is made for DAC with much lower current then the ES9018. I would contact LCAudio for advise when using this DAC chip.

Br
Caad

Hi.

The distortion issue with max 95% may be the ES9018 has VACC/2 on output (3,3V/2=1,65V). Have you raised the input of the Zap-filter to the same?

Also be aware that the Zap filter is made for DAC with much lower current then the ES9018. I would contact LCAudio for advise when using this DAC chip.

Br
Caad

How do I raise the input to handle the current output?

Thanks☺

Well I finally assembled my version-1 DAC-END-R, with Lundahl transformer output boards.
Sadly, not working.

With original firmware, I tried coax input (CD player) and optical input (TV). In both cases the display remained on "DSD" and no audio output.
Then I flashed the firmware to ver 57a. Slight change - now the display remains on "PCM" but still no audio output. I tried coax input, optical input, and also I2S input from Beaglebone Black. With each input, When I toggle from menu-mode back to normal-mode, I see "PCM-/0)-Hz" displayed.
It seems the DAC does not recognise the incoming digital data?

Andrea suggested I use firmware 64a. I flashed this firmware. No change.
Andrea suggested I check the ribbon cable and its connections. I removed the controller, tested the ribbon cable with multi-meter, re-soldered 2x connections at the controller. No change.

Is there anything else I can check, please?

Attachments

• coax-input.jpg
    coax-input.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 397
  • controller-removed.jpg
    controller-removed.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 392
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.