DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Any other I2S source better than rpi?
Can you recommend or share experience

Any? Almost any would do better. The RPi uses MASH technique to create clocks that are not an even multiple of FS which is basically all FS - MASH means it will flip between 2 frequencies so that he mean become what is needed.

Hows that for *jitter* ;-)

Dont use computers for audio....

//

I am done!
Chip: AD1862 N-J.
Opamp: Muses03
Caps: Elna/Nichicon/wima
LPS: LT3045 for +/-5V; UCC GR opamp based regulator for +/-12V.

The first impression:
It sounds very natural.
It shows ample details and wider soundstage.
Very enjoyable.

Weakness:
The bass is a bit shy.
The output Gain seems a bit low; my volume control is usually set at 11 o’clock for my listening comfortably. Now it has to go to 1pm position.
Is it normal? Can/should it be remedied? Just a minor thing.
The Singxer F1 has Crystek clocks of 22 & 24 MHz. I guess that’s the reason it cannot playback my 24/384 hires files-extremely distorted.
Finally I upsampled everything to only 24/192. No big deal.

Opamp:
I have OPA134, LME49710 and Muses03 in my little opamp storage box.
All are single channel, so handy and save me money.
Opa134 and LME49710 both are a bit soft with weaker bass. I can Even hear some distortion in some music!? I am not sure but don’t like the feel.
Muses03 gives me the much better punchy bass, better dynamic and very musical.
The PCB is very tight for the oversize caps. Hahaha. I survived it.

I tried muses03 in my Whammy headphone amp but did not like it. I preferred Muses01. Now muses03 have a good home!

Overall I am very surprised this vintage dac still sounds excellent.
Thanks Miro and other members.

My other DACs: (all are wonderful dacs with different sound signature)
AGD Nos19 (PCM1704)
AD1865 HAT DAC
Soekris dam1021

Attachments

• F2F0D20A-AF1C-4E4A-BDA3-88ABA0557A58.jpeg
    F2F0D20A-AF1C-4E4A-BDA3-88ABA0557A58.jpeg
    604.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 2E412BE1-BEEA-4A69-A8A3-DE4FB43BFD17.jpg
    2E412BE1-BEEA-4A69-A8A3-DE4FB43BFD17.jpg
    956 KB · Views: 450
... I've had a lot of headaches trying to get PCM2706 to work reliably on my interface design. Eventually I gave up as a chip would work fine one day but not enumerate the next - I can only assume that the chips I was sold were sub-standard (aka fakes). Jitter measurements on fake chips aren't very useful. I've since changed over to CM102S which is a much simpler chip and only has S/PDIF output but if you're interested in jitter measurements for that I'll give it go. ...

Thanks abraxalito for your effort. My schematic for PCM2706 is 100% working:
PCM2706
CM102S is nice, cheap and simple. You can measure it. I am curious if it is less than 500ps :)

It is simple and proven design, it will work
for adjustment to +-12V it will be enough to reduce some values in resistors (https://mnats.net/files/DIY.JE-990.DOA.V1A.pdf)
comparison is even questionable, because only a real test will confirm :)
for a good comparison it is ideal to have 2 DACs and switch between, or alternatively one DAC and each channel with different I/V and in the player slide the balance left-right :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Manniraj,

This is my Mouser Project I used. There
are multiple parts picked for specific locations, I was trying different capacitors. You can streamline the list if you’re not going to experiment with different caps. I believe most parts (except opamps) are included, just verify against Miro’s BOM.
Please add this project to your own cart before you alter the list.
Miro did a real nice job with this board, it’s very versatile with lots of tweaking capabilities.

Enjoy!!

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManag...jectGUID=1c3193e4-70bb-4e3f-a812-23a3648b9525

Hi Manniraj,

This is my Mouser Project I used. There
are multiple parts picked for specific locations, I was trying different capacitors. You can streamline the list if you’re not going to experiment with different caps. I believe most parts (except opamps) are included, just verify against Miro’s BOM.
Please add this project to your own cart before you alter the list.
Miro did a real nice job with this board, it’s very versatile with lots of tweaking capabilities.

Enjoy!!

Mouser Electronics

As you said you have chosen multiple different options especially for the low ESR caps in the BOM. Which one did you end up choosing on the DAC now and makes my life easier as its expensive for me to order from rsdelivers in qty of 25 and above as minimum :)

Thanks