DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Your CM I/V boards look real good Ripster!
I think I saw this version before, HAHAHA!
Great work fellas, so many "Toys" to play with in this thread.
Patrick, I'm looking forward to see more updates on your all-FET, zero-global-feedback IV converter.

:cheers:

Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Guys have you noticed difference between Jfet good current noise behavior VS Bjt good voltage noise in your discrete pcbs tries, please ?

Would like to know to choose either one or else VS all what I tried already. At least what you prefered with ears on music material between the two discrete sorts. Tube I/V is also gently comming thanks the help of several people ;) :)

Built a special test fixture to measure the new SFC CEN IV.
Very happy with the results. All work first time.
:)

Without any trimming, DC offset was already ~10mV.
After trimming, it drops to 0.4mV +/-0.5mV after 3 minutes.
Start up was 13mV, but already dropped to ~2mV after 30s.

Perfect triangular and square waves.
Frequency response as expected.
This has built-in Sallen Key, so 3rd order drop.

So shall built 2nd channel and then send them off to Ireland for independent auditioning.
Lucky guy.

;)

Patrick

Attachments

• 220408 SFC CEN IV Test.JPG
    220408 SFC CEN IV Test.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 177
  • SFC CEN IV #1 Freq.png
    SFC CEN IV #1 Freq.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Asilker; all is about your frontend choice, there are also pcbs for uf-l inputs or stacking some USB board : DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

If you don't mind the front end yet then the v1.3 link you provide is good ans has soic choice : good soic oaps like the opa1611 single channel for instance.

good dip8 oap: soic dual channel 1656 on an adaptator (Vunce offered Gerber on this thread to convert dual soic towards single channel dip8)

Vunce has made also a good adaptator for a particular oap without feedback inspired by Pedja Rogic work with opa861. gerber in this thread.

So in fact you may want purchase different pcb versions and it's cheap at JLPCB (choose non golded trace and std shipping; it's fast enough.
Hi, maybe you can help, i can't find it (Vunce offered Gerber on this thread to convert dual soic towards single channel dip8), i want to try dual channel op.
Thanks,
Evaldas

Built a special test fixture to measure the new SFC CEN IV.
Very happy with the results. All work first time.
:)

Without any trimming, DC offset was already ~10mV.
After trimming, it drops to 0.4mV +/-0.5mV after 3 minutes.
Start up was 13mV, but already dropped to ~2mV after 30s.

Perfect triangular and square waves.
Frequency response as expected.
This has built-in Sallen Key, so 3rd order drop.

So shall built 2nd channel and then send them off to Ireland for independent auditioning.
Lucky guy.

;)

Patrick

:cheers: I'll be cracking the whip for the auditions!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just now listening for the first time,
I need to settle down and just listen for a few days … first thing I noticed is the sound stage has improved.
PSU 1, LM 6171 , jlsounds, late 2012 Mac mini using jRiver player
Impressions to come
And thanks to those watching over me:
Miro, asilker and paddy and so many folks who I will never meet except of course online in this forum
Thanks everyone!
Must listen now…

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hello
I am preparing to build an AD1862 DAC. I'm preparing PSU 2, but I can't find a Low ESR capacitor. Do you have any recommendations for substitutes?
For those positions Panasonic EEU-FM and EEU-FS would be fine subs, and some values in stock at Mouser; also don't ignore the very nice ChemiCon EKZ series.
Be careful with lead spacing and diameter; the PSU2 board is densely packed.
Have fun!

Reactions: 1 user