D3a IV stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why some prefer an inductive tin foil cap for DC blocking at the output of a discplayer than a traffo ! Is it just because the spec of some tubes ? :scratch1:

Is "inductive" the right term and the look for effect with choosing such a cap in some output tubes stages ?

Or was it just because the best output traffo are expensive and hard to do ?

I remember Thorsten writted something like this (sorry to speak always about him but he stays one of the known reference when talking about the TDA1541). Maybe it was about cost production for a brand ? Every brand are not Luxmann which knew to product a lot of good traffos on a factory mode ?!

Ah, tribute didn't teach to a sucessor :( ....

Would be intelligently helpful that JEV answers my question. ,

Eldam, I am sure the topology is more important than the trasfo/cap/servo dilemma.

Rock sounds super good through DC servo with added crappy distortions, transfo is extremely difficult to do well and the driving circuit really matters as the output, caps... there is a subtle difference but the electronics behind matters most. For me one cap somewhere in the output is quite justified. I mean by that the holly grail is a brick wall which you will hit trying to get rid of capacitors in signal path, somewhere over the rainbow there is things that matter more than a simple coupling device choice.

This tda1541 is very sensitive :

On my my AYA2 (SS, no tubes) : difference are huge when it comes just to change the caps who feed the 3 voltages rails (mainly the -15V) !

And It's not blala magica caps audiophile story : just a simple difference between swaping a Panasonic FC 1500 uF VS a Panasonic FM 1500 uF give you two different DAC... not subtlle difference but Huge !

So I really believe it must be rock'n roll to design a good output stage... many tubes choice for the low I understand... the D3a must be matched, etc... despite their huge gain, some prefer a quiter tube with less gain ! 12ay7 or 6922 (or 6dj8 :) good link above !) , etc !

despite the gain of the tube, is it the internal structure of the tube (construction) which can give the best sound result when it 's time too choose your brand new or NOS tube ?(living with less gain but more gain after with the preamp on the next stage ?) ? E.G. the D3A is not for the beginners as the layout around has to be very good to avoid problems (I repport what I read as no knowledge about tubes) ?

Is there some Internet links where someone tryed many tubes on the same tda1541 layout (opposite phylosophy of Lampizator which uses the same tube stage with several TDA1541 layout devices ) ?

Last edited:
Thank, for the link I didn't know Ciufolli designed with D3A tubes !

I think for a reason of money I will go for my first tda1541 tubes, I hope this year, with a brand new EH 6072 ! The layout around it seems not expensive as well if I compare with more sota needed by some tubes or shematics !

But read all I can about tubes and TDA1541 to beginn to understand...

So here is my layout.

The sound is incredibly good I must say even when I only use a standard USB cable (will replace this with silver). Only some buzzing and weird by-sounds. Maybe my layout/grounding implementation needs work. Currently working on the last details and the (wooden) housing. the things weighs about 15KG.

Forgot to mention that on the other side of the aluminium are the capacitors (7 33uF motor start caps per channel).

@gabdx I really do not have time for other options.

Attachments

• Dia1.JPG
    Dia1.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 249
"buzzing and weird by sounds" are a clear sign of oscillations. Even more if eg. you touch the tube with your bare hand and the noise changes.

Let me guess, apart from the bad wiring ( no shielded wire for microphones ), did you skip the input resistors ( 1kOhm most the time ) ? Is your PSU good enough and are both tubes decoupled from each other with additional RC filters ?

Best regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.