Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

Wonderfull

I have built these, testing prooved that using genuine speaker wadding available from maplins electronics worked better. Cut a rectangle the length of the front panel, twice the internal width. Then cut out a square at the top corner from the centre line vertically to the top of the internal panel. When constructing, you will now notice that only a single thickness of the wadding goes behind the driver and double thickness goes into the pressure chamber, naturally packing tighter as it reaches the bottom.
Finally stand finished speakers on something like russ andrews oak cone feet. 2 front corners and 1 rear. This will improve the whole resolution and extend the focused bandwidth.
All in all. A beautifull speaker.

THANKS
:D
Jason

The alpair 6 is too expensive for me. The Omnes is much better than the TB or it is very similar? Can i use the Omnes with the original needles plan or i have to change it?

Better and worth the extra money in my opinion. Better and more bass, clearer sound, and less harshness.

The actual build of the box is exactly the same. The notch filter may be a difference ... (Detail: The Omnes drivers don't need the notch filter as much as the TB W3-871 drivers do, so you can skip it. If you want a notch filter then you need different values ... HenkJan of juoiga.nl posted a filter for the Omnes somewhere around here.)

Better and worth the extra money in my opinion. Better and more bass, clearer sound, and less harshness.

The actual build of the box is exactly the same. The notch filter may be a difference ... (Detail: The Omnes drivers don't need the notch filter as much as the TB W3-871 drivers do, so you can skip it. If you want a notch filter then you need different values ... HenkJan of juoiga.nl posted a filter for the Omnes somewhere around here.)

See specs of Omnes Audio BB3.01 and suggested notch filter

View attachment bb301.pdf

needle_filter_bb301.jpg

All my speakers are raw MDF

I built two of these and it was the biggest dissapointment of my speaker building life. All I had at the time was a 20$ hand plane. I used some beautifuls timbers double layered and sanded inside and out to perfection. It took me a month and ended up ruining my carpal tunnel on my one remaining good wrist. I have a plate in place of the other. They just dont go loud enough for me unless I lived in a toilet maybe. And they sound so thin notch filter or no notch filter. YMMV. Of course they will suit some but I feel compelled to warn peeps like me. I wish somebody had warned me. I was so disenchanted I never finished a speaker to that quality ever again. Well I never felt my finger tips again lol. I would much rather have any vintage $50 phillips dual cone in a small refex box scabbed from a opshop. With out a notch filter! Its not put me off tqwt though Iam considering a bib currently.

Ever since i built and lovingly veneered and finished my first speakers...which were Bass reflex boxes for the TB W3-871s I have not finished a box nicely. Concentrate on sound first then finish them after all the tweaking...or move on and scrap an MDF box that you have little investment in. But you learned something about fine woodwork! Think of the positives!