Cutting, drilling, mounting etc. for the absolute beginner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are so concerned with correct angle, here's the tool which is quite useful and allows for perfectly aligned threads.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 391
Magura said:
The reason for the tap to break is if you move the drill accidentally, then its sure gonna snap. You obviously have very fine skills with a cordless powerdrill, but the average diy'er would brake a M3 tap if done like that, heck most people can hardly do it without the 1 kilogram powerdrill hanging at the end without braking the taps frequently.

On my Bosch cordless gun, there are 30 clutch settings. If you set it on the lowest range, you couldn't even break a smallest tap in your collection. It actually works as very good protection for people do it first time. The hand can be trusted that much.

Magura said:
Personally I use a CNC machine for my threads, but I guess the average diy'er also dont have such a tool as you showed on the pic....smart tool though.

But the second tool can be easily made for different sizes, when access to drill press is available. The other one is available from aircraft tools suppliers. We used to use them all day, drilling skins in Stokholm;)

Magura said:
Personally I use a CNC machine for my threads, but I guess the average diy'er also dont have such a tool as you showed on the pic....smart tool though.

Magura:)

What's involved with tapping on a CNC machine (Mill I assume?). Do you synchronize the plunge rate of the tap with the rotational speed? Another project I'm working on is building a small CNC milling machine, so it would be interesting to know how it is done.

You lock the spindle and the Z axis feed in sync. electically. The rest is as you expect. I believe you would find it hard to do on a DIY mill, it takes enormeous precision. Its quite expensive to get the encoder for the spindle that can deal with such precision at such speed. Usually you make it with a 1024 pulse per rev. encoder, multiply that by as little as 1500 rpm. thats more than 25KHz. All of a sudden an encoder will set you back at least 1000USD...and all of a sudden tapping by hand seems a great way of tapping ;)

Magura:)

yes, it's a bit ironic isn't it, that a guy that is not sure whether to tap both pieces of material to fasten is getting into CNC. ;)

I'm building one primarily to mill circuit boards, but hope to eventually do some light machining on aluminum to do the cutouts on front and rear panels. Really though, I'm building it for the sake of building it because I find it really interesting - it really is a hobby in it's own right.

I will be using an prebuilt axis for the Z, and will acquire some linear bearings and aluminum plate to build a table for the X. Haven't decided what I'm going to do about the Y yet. The layout will be something of a gantry affair. As for the electronics, I will be using one of the many plans or kits for homebuilt CNC controllers out there.

We are all getting there from divergent points, but you are on the accelerated plan.

With your skills at mechanical reasoning, I have no doubt that you will succeed.

If I can dig them up, I'll post pics of the mill I'm trying to build. A bit off of this topic (but, what the heck, we've been there already...) here's pics that would have fit in earlier.

Attachments

• f400forum..jpg
    f400forum..jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 371
Comments?

Back on subject, for a moment...

Built this today (in stolen moments...), Used an automatic chain driller (Plasma Punks call them "Mills"... your first clue as to who is really creeping around), but it's nothing that can't be done with hand tools.

E

Attachments

• c2base.7.jpg
    c2base.7.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 386
thanks ekd. I've got diyAudio to credit (or blame) for getting me back into the kind of hobbies I enjoy. Even the CNC stuff indirectly.

Ok, on to another on topic question. I've been eyeing some 8" square aluminum tube extrusion to build some enclosures, but haven't figured out a good way to cut it down to size without access to a large band saw. I thought about clamping some guides around the tube and using a jig saw, but am not sure about the quality of the cut. Any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.