Current state of the art Class D?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...According to the datasheet, 20kHz response appx. -4dB down relative to the 40Hz (Lower level graph trace shows).

Sorry, you are not intepreting the shart correctly... se my annotations...

The ASP amplifiers are very nice amps. I doubt that you can hear the difference between different loading - even less that you can perform at test that is valid...

//

Attachments

• asp500.png
    asp500.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 448
OK. But I didn't see any graphs (output impedance, distorsion vs freq).

IMD / Multitone?

What does it look like above 20k?

//

Well we tried to beat it up above the audio band, and with no Nyquist filter as well. It behaves stable and controlled to full power.

Compared to the reference, which will be nCore amplifiers, the nCore claims lower noise and lower THD. But that should be considered in conjunction with the low gain of these amplifiers.
Hypex made the choice, that line level gain is easier to obtain than power amp gain.
Thus they need a bufferstage with arround 17 dBs of gain to match normal line level.
We don´t need that, and we absolutely don´t want that either for several reasons.

Best regards

Søren

Ouch!

Hi CyberPit

All ICE Power amplifiers are twin loop designs, with one loop inside the filter and the other one outside.

Anyways I´m affraid you are looking at the phase rather tthan the frequency response.

Oh! Sorry, I used wrong trace for measurement.
Actually the difference level was numerical small.
I made mistake as it feels big enough from the sound impressions... :faint:

For an active system, if we’re just looking at what is state of the art- produces the best bass. What is “best”?

<< not class D, but an example that might point to useful metrics -
I once swapped a Byston amplifier into a system, and the amount of tightness and extension it added to the bass was amazing. it seemed almost as though another octave of extension was added, probably because what was there before was just ‘kind of loose”. It really took control of the woofers. …
partly I think, because quite a lot of capacitance.
(It was a long time ago but) I recall it was on the high side in terms of capacitance, and “high current”, but I have no idea what is considered “high”. current >>

Yes indeed double feedback has more tight bass, and seems detail sonic. :)

In specs Would that be capacitance, and or current; Do any class D amplifiers quote their current ?

Which Class D chips/ modules available to diy have double feedback?

For an active system, if we’re just looking at what is state of the art- produces the best bass. What is “best”?

<< not class D, but an example that might point to useful metrics -
I once swapped a Byston amplifier into a system, and the amount of tightness and extension it added to the bass was amazing. it seemed almost as though another octave of extension was added, probably because what was there before was just ‘kind of loose”. It really took control of the woofers. …
partly I think, because quite a lot of capacitance.
(It was a long time ago but) I recall it was on the high side in terms of capacitance, and “high current”, but I have no idea what is considered “high”. current >>

In specs Would that be capacitance, and or current; Do any class D amplifiers quote their current ?

Which Class D chips/ modules available to diy have double feedback?

Double feedback or twin loops are a trademark of ICE Power, the principle was originally patended for selfoscillating class D amps by them.
Earlier others used twin loops, but that was clocked class D amps, which is quite another story.
Today no more patents are valid, and i.e TC electronics created a selfoscillating amp with 3 loops.
And as mentione earlier we are four nerds, who created our own twin loop design, which can be seen in post # 125 in this thread.

I think Bryston have quite high dampening factor, which can be more significant than just more capacitance in the PSU.

Ah yes a high output impedance, which leads to a higher damping factor in relation to the speaker being driven. :)

I just looked at the datasheets of a couple of modules:

- ICEpower 1200AS states a Z (out)
- the UcD180’s quotes a Z (out) maximum
- TPA3255 a myriad of specs but no Z (out)
… Not a universal metric :(

Double feedback or twin loops are a trademark of ICE Power, the principle was originally patended for selfoscillating class D amps by them.
Earlier others used twin loops, but that was clocked class D amps, which is quite another story.
Today no more patents are valid, and i.e TC electronics created a selfoscillating amp with 3 loops.
And as mentione earlier we are four nerds, who created our own twin loop design, which can be seen in post # 125 in this thread.

Thank you. … The preliminary data sheet there, for the eLABS Tomahawk gives a Z(out) - a maximum of 20.

By coincidence the very same spec as the UcD180: max 20
While the ICEpower1200AS isn’t a maximum, it’s simply 6

What this translates to in bass definition, 🤔

Ah yes a high output impedance, which leads to a higher damping factor in relation to the speaker being driven. :)

I just looked at the datasheets of a couple of modules:

- ICEpower 1200AS states a Z (out)
- the UcD180’s quotes a Z (out) maximum
- TPA3255 a myriad of specs but no Z (out)
… Not a universal metric :(

Low zout equals high dampening factor. Too low is bad, and too high might also be bad because of massive feedback

Thank you. … The preliminary data sheet there, for the eLABS Tomahawk gives a Z(out) - a maximum of 20.

By coincidence the very same spec as the UcD180: max 20
While the ICEpower1200AS isn’t a maximum, it’s simply 6

What this translates to in bass definition, ��

eLABS is 20 µ Ohms making a damping factor of 400.000 @ 8 Ohms.
This is of course never possible to exploit, as just a few centimeters of cable and a pair of connectors adds a lot more to the Z out.
But 20 µ Ohms is the calculated value of Zout @ 1 KHz in the output point of the board.

Anyways the by far best connectors for speakers are Speakon from Neutrik, they ad the least of serial resistance to the total.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.