Current state of the art Class D?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if you saw the photos I posted, but these are ribbon headphones and already comes with interface box with resistors inside to simulate an 8-Ohm load.

Problem seems to be IceEdge being unable to deliver enough current through the resistor network to the 0.2 Ohm ribbon headphones when far less wattage class AB amp can do it no problem.

The ICEPower 1200 AS2 can deliver 30A, of your headphones need even more than that, i think they might be broken.
The ICE modules all have protection circuits of any kind, så something must go wrong in the HP set-up.

You forgot the GaN transistors, that will allow the amplifier to operate over 1 Mhz

GaN transistors will nor really do any good for class D.
Higher switch frequencies are simply not desired.
High current switched at high speed will probably run into huge EMC problems.
Levinson tried to with a dual stage switching amp, but that didn´t function very well.

And for this I disagree :D
The UcD design is good already as it is, with standard gain. What Bruno did with NCore, now Purify is only try to push at very small room for improvement.

Regards,
kartino

@Kartino
Nice to disagree with you :D
I´ve experienced UcD with the most impressive power supply.
It was a 1,5KW custom wound C core transformer, fast recovery rectifiers and Slit Foil capacitors. I don´t recall anything about the low voltage supply, but I´m sure this was carefully considered too.
IMO ICE is way better than that.

The reason I don´t fancy the low gain types is, that you have to get the missing gain from somewhere else. And that will probably end up with an op-amp. And that I don´t like, because they are simply not transparent.
We´ve build a buffer stage with unity gain with OPA1612, and still it is obvious, that it is in the signal path. And that despite its absolutely ludicrous data.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Did you guys consider Bruno's new Purifi 1ET400A?

Jan

Attachments

• 1ET400A.PNG
    1ET400A.PNG
    206.2 KB · Views: 533
  • 1ET400A IMD.PNG
    1ET400A IMD.PNG
    236.3 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
@Kartino
Nice to disagree with you :D
I´ve experienced UcD with the most impressive power supply.
It was a 1,5KW custom wound C core transformer, fast recovery rectifiers and Slit Foil capacitors. I don´t recall anything about the low voltage supply, but I´m sure this was carefully considered too.
IMO ICE is way better than that.

The reason I don´t fancy the low gain types is, that you have to get the missing gain from somewhere else. And that will probably end up with an op-amp. And that I don´t like, because they are simply not transparent.
We´ve build a buffer stage with unity gain with OPA1612, and still it is obvious, that it is in the signal path. And that despite its absolutely ludicrous data.

I am doing also for PA Audio, in thousand watts.
This is double feedback, using stone age technology. I make this circuit triggered by this thread.

Attachments

• D2KFBNeo - Fullbridge v.1.pdf
    567.1 KB · Views: 151
@Kartino
Nice to meet someone who is active in designing class D amps.
As I see it, you have a pre - and a post filter loop, where the feedback is injected in the same point. Am I right?
If you are in the market for a bit of inspiration, I´d suggest, that you could experiment with the choise of op-amps.
I know they are within the loops, but try a few others anyway.
Just my five cents.

Stay cool and go on

Soeren

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I am doing also for PA Audio, in thousand watts.
This is double feedback, using stone age technology. I make this circuit triggered by this thread.

After trial, I have update, the Post Filter Feedback switcher done by sensing ripple/speaker so that at no speaker, the post filter feedback will not trigger switching. If it is happened the FSW will be very low about 75kHz and simply blow LPF and speakers.

Attachments

• D2KFBNeo - Fullbridge V.2.pdf
    159.2 KB · Views: 92
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
In last two weeks, I have been busy with trial double feedback. Compare with UcD of mine. This is my personal impression.

Yes indeed double feedback has more tight bass, and seems detail sonic.
However, UcD has better feel like class AB. It just sound like what I expected. Some people said class AB has sweet sounds, so does this UcD, I love so much the sound.

That was my impression, but probably not so precise as I compared amps built by myself. I do not have ICEpower or NCore. :)

For the curious I´ve shortly mentioned the TC Electronics class D module.
This module was originally intended for use in some of TC Electronics instrument amplifiers.
What is special about this module is its tripple loop design.
Yes you´ve got that right, there is a third loop in addition to the pre filter loop and the post filter loop, taking its feed back from the middle of the filter
This topology lowered THD+N and the Zout compared to the original twin loop design. The technology was patended by TC, but I´m not really sure, that they still use this special design.
Anyways the module found its way outside TC at LC Audio as the ZAP 800XE.
L C Audio Technology / ZapPulse 800XE
It is also used in Dynaudio studio monitors made for BBC and Danish Broadcast (DR).
At that time TC owned Tannoy, so maybe they found their way to them too.

At the time this module came out, it was a step up from ICE, but it was never really sold outside TC, with the exception of LC Audio, as the owner of LC was financially involved in TC, thus the LC outlet was established.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.