Current feedback - Voltage feedback, how do I see the difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Re: Re: let us come to the point

I think what's confusing in this whole thing is that in either CFB or VFB, the signal that got feedback is always voltage.

What matters is the internals of the amplifier. I mentioned this earlier and someone also pointed it out a while ago. in a CFB, the error signal is current and is amplified through a transimpedance amplifier. in a VFB, the error signal is voltage and is amplified through a voltage amplifier.

Once you take that approach, it is quite simple.

at least on paper.

Re: let us come to the point

dimitri said:
....Yes, so called "current feedback" was employed from the beginning of BJT era by injecting the feedback current in emitter of the first stage...........

No....the first stage is a voltage controlled device...(BJT or FET)....

(YES...BJTs are voltage controlled current sources!!)

The feedback divider applies a fraction of the output voltage to the input device's emitter.....,

....where it is subtracted from the input voltage applied at its base......

So-called 'current feedback' amps. are merely an elaboration of the ubiquitous complementary feedback pair (CFP),...

...which no one here (thank goodness!!), has refered to as a 'current feedback' design.....

This surely should settle the matter to everyones satisfaction....

Yeah, just what the hell is the point????

You can configure a so-called "voltage feedback" or "current feedback" to use either voltage-series or voltage-shunt configuration to make either a non-inverting or inverting amplifier.

It seems more like the point is for one of us to ponitificate the same old way....for who knows what reason.

Other than perhaps to show the world how stupid and corrupt Americans, and their corporations, are. For shame!! One of them coined a marketing phrase to make a class of products easier to recognise.

And without checking with him first.

Get over it.

(Apologies to Jan Didden........even if we disagree on this point of contention.)

And since when are BJTs "voltage controlled current sources"???

My text books refer to them as current controlled current sources. Which is why every equation with them uses h_fe * I_b somewhere in it. Looks like current to me............

I guess that they should have checked with you first, eh, Mike?????

Jocko

Re: Yeah, just what the hell is the point????

Jocko Homo said:
You can configure a so-called "voltage feedback" or "current feedback" to use either voltage-series or voltage-shunt configuration to make either a non-inverting or inverting amplifier.

It seems more like the point is for one of us to ponitificate the same old way....for who knows what reason.

Other than perhaps to show the world how stupid and corrupt Americans, and their corporations, are. For shame!! One of them coined a marketing phrase to make a class of products easier to recognise.

And without checking with him first.

Get over it.............

Does anyone remember an occasion marked by Jocko actually contributing anything of value...... :scratch2:

http://www.sjostromaudio.com/jocko_homo.html

Jocko Homo said:

And since when are BJTs "voltage controlled current sources"???

My text books refer to them as current controlled current sources. Which is why every equation with them uses h_fe * I_b somewhere in it. Looks like current to me............

Throw this book in the bin sharpish.....a BJT is a VCCS, with the base current required to either extract or replenish base charge (depending on polarity) as soon as transistor action is initiated by said applied voltage.....

The later is therefore an error that must be accomodated, and not the basis for the device's operation......

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jeez, you can't say Boo on this site anymore without an
argument about semantics, which is to say that you're
both right. You can't have voltage without some sort of
current, and vice versa.

Quantum mechanics sez so, and Philosophy sez so (If a man
states an opinion and nobody hears it, is he still wrong?) ;)

pass:/ can't keep his faulty opinions to himself.

Nelson Pass said:
Jeez, you can't say Boo on this site anymore without an
argument about semantics(...)

Reminds me of:

# M= Man looking for an argument
# A= Arguer

"M: I came here for a good argument.
A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
A: No it isn't.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!
M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
A: No it isn't."

Re: Re: Re: let us come to the point

millwood said:
I think what's confusing in this whole thing is that in either CFB or VFB, the signal that got fedback is always voltage.

This should clear any 'confusion'....:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=423522#post423522

millwood said:

.......in a CFB, the error signal is current and is amplified through a transimpedance amplifier.........

No...:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=423668#post423668

Do any of you think SPICE cares about either types of feedback? Still, it can tell you how a circuit will behave. It doesn't need to know if it's a current feedback circuit or whatever circuit for that matter.

Neither do we. The only reason these names are used is to make communication easier. So that we can all understand each other better..

Hmm, I think that perhaps we should get rid of all these terms altogether since they obviously aren't up to the job

Jam: Could you please respond with an appropriate cartoon?;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: let us come to the point

mikeks said:

Originally posted by millwood
I think what's confusing in this whole thing is that in either CFB or VFB, the signal that got fedback is always voltage.

No...:
Mike, it's you against the whole world. You mean that you don't control a transimpedance amp with currents? I believe very strongly that it is current in, voltage out - current feed back.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: let us come to the point

ABO said:
Do any of you think SPICE cares about either types of feedback?

SPICE is believed to lead an inanimate existance.....i.e.:...is not generaly considered to be capable of 'care'

peranders said:

Mike, it's you against the whole world.

Nope...:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=422735#post422735

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=422607#post422607

peranders said:

You mean that you don't control a transimpedance amp with currents? I believe very strongly that it is current in, voltage out - current feed back.

If the amplifier's forward path takes a current as it's input, and delivers a voltage at it's output, (viz: transimpedance gain),.....

.........then major loop feedback applied about such an amp. is a transadmittance....

...since the signal sampled by the feedback network is a voltage,....a fraction of which must be returned as a current before it can be subtracted from the input current to produce the error current needed to drive the amps. forward path....

viz: foward path transfer function= transimpedance
feedback transfer function=transadmittance....

Hey, Mike.......

'Splain this one:

Take one each "voltage feedback op-amp" and "current feedback op-amp".

Try to make a classic integrator with only 3 parts......the op-amp, a resistor, and a capacitor.

Only one will work. Same type of "feedback" applied to each, but one doesn't like it, and oscillates.

Someone......somewhere....who cares on either account........ gives a cute or stupid (take your pick) name to the active device that acts different from everything else that we are used to.

Seems like you are upset because you don't like the name that they picked.

Hey, what's in a name anyway????

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.