Current Feedback Amplifiers, not only a semantic problem?

CFA can easily be converted to a VFA by buffering the voltage in the feedback loop by another "Diamond" and inserting a Rg between them, a so called H-Bridge.
Cheers
S

With the penalty of an extra pole in the feedback loop but with the advantage of being able to use a higher impedance feedback network.

I prefer to not buffer and suffer higher heat losses in the feedback resistors.

Paul

Heat in the FB R is not my fav. :rolleyes:
I guess you will need a so called "DC-Servo" as well? Or *** forbid using an output C.
Cheers
S

Trade offs ;) - heat is ok for me and in my current design saves having to match 4 jfets.

You guessed right but I connect my DC servos in a unconventional way. Don't like to connect to the feedback network.

No output C for me either or in the feedback network.

Paul

Short version:
I think it's important to understand that a VFA is a buffered CFA. In a VFA it's not the voltage at the base of the transistor in the feedback loop that is interesting, but the different currents at the "meeting point". In a CFA you dont use a transistor in the feedback loop, but use the current in the feedback loop directly. A so called "Diamont ips" in a CFA can easily be converted to a VFA by buffering the voltage in the feedback loop by another "Diamond" and inserting a Rg between them, a so called H-Bridge. This is my prefered circuit for Audio Amps.

When saying VFA is a buffered CFA, you point something very important where disagreements about the way CFAs really works do not matter.

What you say implies that the job of the transistors in charge of the subtraction process of feedback is the same in CFAs and VFAs.

How about making this discussion even more nonsensical by taking it one abstraction level higher?

According to the definitions used in this thread, a voltage feedback amplifier is one with shunt feedback at the output, series feedback at the input and a high open-loop input impedance of the negative input. Similarly, a current feedback amplifier is one with shunt feedback at the output, series feedback at the input and a low open-loop input impedance of the negative input.

If you want to think about feedback concepts without worrying about implementation details, it is often useful to start with a nullor (two-port consisting of a nullator and a norator) instead of a real physical amplifier implementation. By definition, the voltage across and current through a nullor output port (norator) can have any value, while the input port of a nullor (the nullator) by definition has an input current and an input voltage of 0. Its impedance is therefore 0 V/0 A, or undefined.

How should you call an amplifier consisting of a nullor and a feedback network with shunt feedback at the output and series feedback at the input? An undefined feedback amplifier because the nullator impedance is undefined, or a 0 feedback amplifier because the error signal is 0 (which implies infinite loopgain)?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Isn't it funny that you are commenting and replying only to my empty content posts? For any other of my posts, I'm probably on your ignore list, where I feel super comfortable. Please keep it this way.

Ignore list? No why would that be? Lots of useful and interesting posts from you, where I don't feel the need to comment. It's just when you switch to your pi$$-off/personal mode that it gets useless and content-free. Just wanted to make you aware in case you weren't. But I can handle it ;)

Jan

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I am not sure what all the hubbub is about. Originally, the topology was referred to as Current-Mode Operation as opposed to Voltage-Mode operation. The internal workings are of current transfers, low Z and thus fast stray/device C charge and therefore high BW and SR. etc.

I put up early publications on the subject from conferences. Simply read a new book from Springer publications called - Current Feedback Operational Amplifiers and their Applications. ACSP - Analog Circuits and Signal processing. By Raj Senani et al 2013. Add it to your library.

No need to argue about what it is or isn't.... just read the book and know. Done.

BTW Waly - Dadod's Current-Mode PA is not only a simulation... but built and tested and is as the SIM indicates.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I am not sure what all the hubbub is about. Originally, the topology was referred to as Current-Mode Operation as opposed to Voltage-Mode operation. The internal workings are of current transfers, low Z and thus fast stray/device C charge and therefore high BW and SR. etc.

I put up early publications on the subject from conferences. Simply read a new book from Springer publications called - Current Feedback Operational Amplifiers and their Applications. ACSP - Analog Circuits and Signal processing. By Raj Senani et al 2013. Add it to your library.

No need to argue about what it is or isn't.... just read the book and know. Done.

BTW Waly - Dadod's Current-Mode PA is not only a simulation... but built and tested and is as the SIM indicates.
As does Bonsai amps and many others. I pointed out before that most of the well known (Marantz etc) and High End have Current-Mode power amps for their top tier products and Volt Mode below them. I haven't talked to their engineers but might guess because they produce the best results and seems buyers agree. It is what it is.

THx-RNMarsh

As does Bonsai amps and many others. I pointed out before that most of the well known (Marantz etc) and High End have Current-Mode power amps for their top tier products and Volt Mode below them. I haven't talked to their engineers but might guess because they produce the best results and seems buyers agree. It is what it is.

THx-RNMarsh

My V4 amplifier too, and I did it because of the sound quality. If I can go beyond with different topology, I will forget it...

Sajti

I give up. [...]

That’s perfectly fine, do what you think you have to do.

I'm just onthe sideline and am admiring Michael Kiwanuka as well as some here in the task to bring forward the technology of analog amplification by bitching over semantics.

All this invested time surely will result in something tangible at the end.

The others maybe have better things to do, eg. taking care for traction when transferring their brain-HP to the wheels.

Back to your regular program, gents.